PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone sell a decent small bandsaw?

Nick Shattuck
01-11-2020, 10:52 PM
I had to sell my house and move to an apartment in a big city. I had a great workshop at the house with all the necessary (and unnecessary) tools I could ever use. I sold off some of them to buy into the Festool line so I could continue to do a little woodworking in my apartment (you know, for dust control and all that).

I really miss having a bandsaw and tablesaw. I am now debating on whether to buy a small bandsaw but most of the 10" or 12" saws look like toys and I doubt they'd be able to run a 0.75" blade. Does anyone make a heavy-duty but small bandsaw? I don't necessarily need to use 3/4" blade, but I do want to be able to rip fairly accurately as I don't have a jointer either.

The closest thing I've seen to something "small" is the 14" powermatic, but it's still too big for the apartment I believe.

Greg Parrish
01-12-2020, 2:51 AM
The 10” models Like the one from Rikon don’t have much resaw capacity at around 5”. Laguna 14/12 is prob a good choice for small, mobile and some resaw capacity but I’m not sure any bandsaw is really suited for inside an apartment.

https://lagunatools.com/classic-machinery/bandsaws/14-12/

https://www.rikontools.com/product/10-3061

Frederick Skelly
01-12-2020, 2:59 AM
Nick, it might save some time for you to tell us which small bandsaws you have already ruled out.

Edit: Agree with Greg. Not sure about even a small bandsaw or (some) "shopvacs" in an apartment. I do know a couple people here on SMC use handtools in apartments though.

Nick Shattuck
01-12-2020, 4:21 AM
Nick, it might save some time for you to tell us which small bandsaws you have already ruled out.

Edit: Agree with Greg. Not sure about even a small bandsaw or (some) "shopvacs" in an apartment. I do know a couple people here on SMC use handtools in apartments though.

Yeah, I didn't bring any of my big power woodworking tools with me because well, it's an apartment and that doesn't make any sense, but I do have an outside enclave where I can do some work but I don't want to leave anything outside obviously.

So they have great jobsite tablesaw available, and I may just go with something like that, but if a good "portable" bandsaw was made I would prefer it.

I was just curious if there were any makers of small but stout bandsaws that I was missing. It seems only Rikon makes a small one, but it just seems to be built for small blades. I mean, there's no reason a small bandsaw has to use thin blades, and there is no market for a small cut capability but wide blade saw, but if one exists, I'd like to know about it. Does that make any sense?

Bradley Gray
01-12-2020, 6:47 AM
Since you now live in a big city there is probably a Maker space or other club type wood shop you can buy time in.

Worth checking out!

Greg Parrish
01-12-2020, 6:50 AM
If you want capacity and mobility just buy one of the 14” models that meets your needs and put it on a rockler all terrain mobile base with big wheels. It will roll over thresholds and stuff fine as long as you support the saw from tipping. Would prob be easier than toting a 10” bench model in and out.

https://www.rockler.com/rockler-all-terrain-mobile-base-holds-up-to-800-lbs?sid=V9146?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_content=pla&utm_campaign=PL&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2tOWgf_95gIVh4rICh3o0AlPEAUYASAB EgLXhvD_BwE

Matt Day
01-12-2020, 7:14 AM
I’m with Bradley, find a maker space.

Frank Pratt
01-12-2020, 11:25 AM
I mean, there's no reason a small bandsaw has to use thin blades, and there is no market for a small cut capability but wide blade saw, but if one exists, I'd like to know about it. Does that make any sense?

Yes there is. Wider blades are also thicker and the thicker blades will break if the wheel diameter is too small.

Dave Sabo
01-12-2020, 1:16 PM
Might keep you eye out for an old INCA saw.

Dave VanDewerker
01-12-2020, 2:04 PM
Rikon 10-306 is a nice small saw, easily moved around and fairly light. The Laguna 14|12 is a much bigger and heavier saw. Dust collect will be the real issue no matter which saw you use.

Richard Coers
01-12-2020, 2:20 PM
Most 14" bandsaws don't tension a 3/4" blade correctly. No question a 10" won't. Glad I won't be living in the apartment next door to you!

Pete Staehling
01-12-2020, 5:43 PM
Rikon 10-306 is a nice small saw, easily moved around and fairly light. The Laguna 14|12 is a much bigger and heavier saw. Dust collect will be the real issue no matter which saw you use.
That is the nicest of the little band saws that I have seen. Definitely a step above most of the other 9 and 10 inch models. Whether it meets your standards is another matter. The 14" saws are an entirely different animal and not particularly small or apartment worthy by my standards, but you may have different ideas of what small is or what is okay in an apartment.

OTOH, I did have a 14" cast iron band saw in a really tiny shop in the corner of a row home basement once.

Rick Potter
01-12-2020, 6:19 PM
I am with Dave Sabo....check out an old Inca.

I have also seen old Delta HomeCraft and Rockwell 12" bench model saws that seem a lot more sturdy than any new ones. Not uncommon on CL.

Patrick Walsh
01-12-2020, 6:41 PM
I was also thinking Inca..

I have a three wheel Inca and had a Laguna 14/12 prior and the Inca is a way better preforming machine.

resaws with a 1/2 blade well.

Bit of a pain In the rear to get the blade tracking and tensioned properly but once you do it works great well.

Depending where you are I’d consider selling you mine. Not because I dont want it but I could use the cash for other things right now and Honeslty I’m after a deco cast iron base Delta long term.

But like Kevin suggested I think the two wheel would be preferred..

Kevin Adams
01-12-2020, 8:49 PM
The smaller 10” Inca was hands down the smoothest, most precise bandsaw in its day. It will probably be the last power tool I own. You can find them every now and then on eBay or Craigslist. There’s a Google Groups board, too, if you want to mention you’re looking for one.

Thanks.
Kevin

Nick Shattuck
01-12-2020, 9:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really want to use a Makerspace or group shop because I live in Southern CA now and it's a pain to drive anywhere. I know woodworking in an apartment is not a great idea, but it was a hobby I loved and I miss it and am willing to deal with awkwardness.

There looks to be someone selling a ton of vintage bandsaws around here on craigslist but they all seem overpriced. No Incas right now, unfortunately.

90% use of the bandsaw would be for ripping thin pieces, no re-sawing, and perhaps a few curved cuts every once in a while. A portable table saw would be ideal, but I believe all portable saws use a LOUD direct drive motor so I don't really want to go that route. I wish SawStop put the same motor as the PCS into their jobsite saw but I guess that would make it too heavy.

Bandsaws are nice and quiet and produce little dust. Even during a cut they aren't that bad.

Peter Kelly
01-12-2020, 9:44 PM
I'd hold out for an Inca. Eagle Tools in LA sold a lot of that brand years ago so there's a fair amount out there particularly in Southern California. Matter of fact, there's an Inca 259 table saw in Fountain Valley currently listed on Orange County CL. Needs a home!

Kevin Adams
01-13-2020, 5:27 AM
Agree with Peter, I didn’t check your location. I would contact Jesse at Eagle Tools as they get machines in from time to time.

Kevin

Mark e Kessler
01-13-2020, 6:41 AM
I have had the smaller inca for about 30 years bought from Jesse at eagle tools, when it was new I can still remember how well it cut and even resawed, the wheels are way out of balance but still works and it was beat to death when I had my biz...

Mark

lowell holmes
01-13-2020, 12:54 PM
See this site.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/470766967269866334

Matthew Hills
01-25-2020, 11:42 AM
Peter Millard took a look at a number of the low-end bandsaws: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7S6M0i1Mz9r3-9wmNhCSUU2aI7UCk9Iq
As I recall, he seemed to get something useful out of most of them.

I think a lot will depend on what you are trying to get done -- roughing out curved cuts that get further refined is pretty different from resawing.
Before I had a bandsaw, I got a couple of projects done with an old scroll saw. Definitely not the optimal tool, but the projects came out fine.

Used will be cheaper than anything new.

Hopefully you'll find a path to scratching that maker's itch.

Matt

Rick Potter
01-25-2020, 12:54 PM
Nick,

I read your post again, and this time it stood out to me that you want it for ripping stock. In the back of my shop I have my dad's old Ryobi BS50N. I have stored it for 15 years, since he died, but I have no use for it.

This is not like today's Ryobi tools. It is actually a small resaw machine, with a 2" wide stellite blade on it. In the 80's it cost Dad over $1500. It has a Resaw capacity of about 6", and throat of about 9". The weird thing about it is that the motor looks like it belongs on a SkilSaw, and it is original to the machine.

Both Ryobi and Hitachi made these machines in 6" and the larger 12" resaw capacity. Somewhere on this site is a great thread by a Canadian gent who renovated the large Hitachi, removed the universal motor, and put a big induction motor on it. Sorry, his name escapes me.

My machine was used by my dad to rip 2x4's into strips which he made into little orange crates to sell at craft shows. Not very much use since new. It is a bench model, on a 2x4 stand.

I am about 40 miles from you, if you would like to look at it.

Mark Daily
01-25-2020, 2:45 PM
Justin Depew is an engineer/woodworker who works out of his apartment. He has some ideas on his website you might find helpful:

www.justindepewdesign.com

Or try this for tools you can build yourself:

https://woodgears.ca/

Thomas Eustis
01-25-2020, 8:04 PM
Felder has a new Hammer saw that looks pretty nice

https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/Sawing/Machines/Bandsaw-Hammer-N2-35.html

Pete Staehling
01-26-2020, 8:11 AM
Peter Millard took a look at a number of the low-end bandsaws: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7S6M0i1Mz9r3-9wmNhCSUU2aI7UCk9Iq
As I recall, he seemed to get something useful out of most of them.

I think a lot will depend on what you are trying to get done -- roughing out curved cuts that get further refined is pretty different from resawing.
Before I had a bandsaw, I got a couple of projects done with an old scroll saw. Definitely not the optimal tool, but the projects came out fine.

Used will be cheaper than anything new.

Hopefully you'll find a path to scratching that maker's itch.

Matt
FWIW I have three bandsaws in my shop and they all see daily use. They are an old Delta 14" with a riser block bought used and inexpensively, an inexpensive 9" Ryobi bought new years ago, and an 8" Delta that I picked up used for $40.

The 14" Delta is a workhorse doing a lot of re-sawing and other heavier duty tasks. I cut a lot of veneers and sound boards for musical instruments on it. I also prep stock for lathe projects. I do segments for segmented stuff on the table saw, but do a lot of the other tasks on the 14" Delta.

The little saws are mostly used for cutting small parts. One has a fence on it for rip cuts and the other has a crosscut sled. I know that is a bit unusual, but I make a lot of tiny parts and find that setup works really well. I also cut a fair amount of curves on them. In many cases the cuts are touched up on either the 12" disc sander, one of the belt sanders, or the spindle sander. Some of the time I don't bother to cut very precisely preferring to cut rough and sand to the line, but it depends on the task.

Prashun Patel
01-26-2020, 8:41 AM
From your description I would just get the newer Rikon 10” saw. That and a good jointer plane will do you well in an apartment.

I have a 19” saw and have never really needed 3/4”. It’s a nice to have, not need to have for the things you describe.

kent borcherding
01-26-2020, 12:20 PM
The Inca 10" is a great saw , agree with the folks that also recommended it.

Pete Staehling
01-26-2020, 5:25 PM
The Inca 10" is a great saw , agree with the folks that also recommended it.
Maybe in California there are more of them, but I have never even seen one and I was looking at the ads for a used band saw for a long time back when I needed one and was living in Maryland. I haven't seen any here in Tallahassee either. If I did and the price wasn't too crazy, I'd probably buy it to replace one of my little band saws, but I suspect you could wait a long time for one to turn up locally in a lot of the country.

Patrick Walsh
01-26-2020, 6:01 PM
I was willing to sell my three wheel for what I felt was a fair price. A forum member contacted me asking to buy it. When I said how much he lost interest.

Then this weekend I was looking at Craigslist local to me and I saw my saw in the same exact condition and the seller was asking $1750.

I thought to myself you gotta be kidding. Then we’ll I guess my asking price is as fair as I thought it to be.

Dave Sabo
01-26-2020, 6:34 PM
Maybe in California there are more of them, but I have never even seen one and I was looking at the ads for a used band saw for a long time back when I needed one and was living in Maryland. I haven't seen any here in Tallahassee either. If I did and the price wasn't too crazy, I'd probably buy it to replace one of my little band saws, but I suspect you could wait a long time for one to turn up locally in a lot of the country.

When I lived down there , it was hard to find any woodworking equipment new or used. I doubt much has changed. INCA was never a big seller like Delta or even something like Festool. As I recall they had two sources : Eagle on the left coast and Garrett Wade on the east. Given the tools cost 3-4 times what a comparable domestic piece cost they just weren't big sellers. I think much the same happened worldwide because they went belly up years ago.

I see INCA stuff pop up in Atlanta every year, but I'm not sure what you'd consider crazy prices. Most stuff I see is $800-1000. Personally, I'd consider Patrick's find at $1750 to be absurd.

Patrick Walsh
01-26-2020, 7:28 PM
I also thought give me a break.

If this person sells the thing for that price I’ll be amazed..

Maybe the 1 is a typo?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/tls/d/arlington-inca-710-bandsaw-expert-500/7062989855.html

It’s is a very nice little saw but not that nice.

ght
When I lived down there , it was hard to find any woodworking equipment new or used. I doubt much has changed. INCA was never a big seller like Delta or even something like Festool. As I recall they had two sources : Eagle on the left coast and Garrett Wade on the east. Given the tools cost 3-4 times what a comparable domestic piece cost they just weren't big sellers. I think much the same happened worldwide because they went belly up years ago.

I see INCA stuff pop up in Atlanta every year, but I'm not sure what you'd consider crazy prices. Most stuff I see is $800-1000. Personally, I'd consider Patrick's find at $1750 to be absurd.