PDA

View Full Version : Performax 22-44 22"- 44" Surface Sander (newbee)

Edward Jones
12-20-2005, 5:09 PM
Glad I found this group. As a "newbee" I have a question.

I am looking for a drum sander. Checking Amazon I found this one. Performax 22-44 22"- 44" Surface Sander It attaches to a radial arm saw and uses the saw motor to drive it. Anyone have any experience with it?

BTW: its out of production and Amazon does not have any more. So I would be looking for a used one.

Thanks for any help

eddie

Matt Tawes
12-20-2005, 5:17 PM
Don't think I would try that one if I were you. I've read some poor reviews in the past on other forums about the retrofit model for RAS mounting. I've had the std. Performax 22-44 Pro on stand with ext. tables for last couple years and it's a pretty nice machine and gets a lot of use in my shop. Pricey but does what it's supposed to.

tod evans
12-20-2005, 5:21 PM
welcome edward, no experience with performax sorry.

Tyler Howell
12-20-2005, 6:16 PM
Welcome Edward.
Just fired up my 22-44 this weekend and really like it.
I can't see how a retro could come anywhere near the performance of the real deal.
I do know that the only thing I hung on my RAS and got half way decent results was a coat.
My experience has been that a RAS does many things and nothing well:( .
Glad to have you in the creek.

Travis Porter
12-20-2005, 6:18 PM
I totally agree with Tyler. Have the 22 - 44 standalone. Only regret (which I hope to correct) is getting the extension tables.

I need to find a home for my RAS as well at some point in time to regain the space it takes up.

Joe Spear
12-20-2005, 10:35 PM
I got that sander head from Amazon thinking I could use it on my father-in-law's radial arm saw. It is actually quite a good piece of machinery, made of cast iron and very heavy. But then I decided the RAS was too high and unstable for a sander. I decided I would make it into a regular sander without the RAS. I thought about making a stand but couldn't find the proper tubing to mount it. So I ended up buying the three-footed stand from Amazon, again a good, solid piece of equipment. I bought a 1 3/4 hp Baldor motor locally for $175. I thought I could do without the conveyor, but then I figured I did need it. So I ordered that from Amazon, and it should arrive in a few days. By the time I add everything up, I could have bought a complete model for about the same price. The upshot of it is, don't bother with the radial-arm-saw retrofit, even if it does become available. All my original purchase did (even though I will eventually have a good sander) was to delay having a Performax 22-44 and actually using it.

Jim Becker
12-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Welcome to SMC, Edward.

Regarding the drum sander, I believe you will be a lot happier with the Performax 22-44 Plus (which is a current model) than you will if you can find the RAS retrofit. There is likely a reason they don't make it any more... (I love my 22-44 Plus)

John Bailey
12-21-2005, 5:31 AM
Edward,

Welcome to the "Creek." You're going to like it here. Great folks and even greater expertise. I love my old DeWalt radial arm saw, but I've never seen the attachment you're looking at. Even though I'm a radail arm saw fan, I probably would forgo that attachment. Like Jim said, there's probably a reason it's not made anymore.

John

Ken Fitzgerald
12-21-2005, 9:24 AM
Welcome to the Creek Edward! Neat place to exchange information and opinions. BTW don't be suckered in by Tyler's smiling face. He's the Photo Cop! Did I mention we like pictures? Again.....Welcome!

CPeter James
12-21-2005, 10:51 AM
"I totally agree with Tyler. Have the 22 - 44 standalone. Only regret (which I hope to correct) is getting the extension tables.

I need to find a home for my RAS as well at some point in time to regain the space it takes up."

If it is a Sears, can you sell it back to them for the $100 and put the money and space to better use?

CPeter

Edward Jones
12-21-2005, 7:16 PM
Thanks for the responses. Since my budget is under strick oversight by the better half, I will look at some of the home-built plans. Any recomendations?