PDA

View Full Version : Shelix Upgrade

john schnyderite
01-10-2020, 10:48 PM
I have a DJ-20 I bought used. It went through a new set of blades pretty quickly, so I'm considering the shelix cutter rather than having to sharpen and set frequently.

I see many places sell with new bearings. Those who upgraded, do you recommend doing that at the same time?

Do those cutterheads ever go on sale? Where should I keep an eye out?

Tom Dixon
01-10-2020, 11:01 PM
Yes. Definitely replace the bearings at the same time. I upgraded an 8" Grizzy jointer with a Shelix a few years back and it was way easier to use new bearings than to remove the hold bearings and try to re-use them. The bearings are not expensive. As long as it is a true Byrd Shelix where you buy doesn't really matter. Just get the best price you can.

Mike Kees
01-10-2020, 11:17 PM
I checked all over the place about a year ago. Grizzly had the best price. You can get bearings at any bearing supply place,they do not have to come with the head. I would do the bearings at the same time.

Leo Graywacz
01-10-2020, 11:36 PM
I just replaced my straight knives with carbide knives. Got some pretty good life out of them. Got them about 1 1/2 years ago and they are still sharp, a few nicks. It one of the most used machines in my shop. The trifecta tablesaw/jointer/planer. I also put carbide knives in my planer.

john schnyderite
01-11-2020, 12:09 AM
Does 50 bucks for bearings seem right? and if I purchase new ones, does that mean i won't need a bearing puller at all to switch to shelix?

Yes. Definitely replace the bearings at the same time. I upgraded an 8" Grizzy jointer with a Shelix a few years back and it was way easier to use new bearings than to remove the hold bearings and try to re-use them. The bearings are not expensive. As long as it is a true Byrd Shelix where you buy doesn't really matter. Just get the best price you can.

Scott Pearson
01-14-2020, 2:44 PM
I put a shelix head on my 8 inch Delta joiner and it was one of the best upgrades I made to a shop machine. I bought the head and did not have to tools to add the bearings so I took it too a tool shop in town, I think I paid about $65 for new bearings and having them installed. It was a quick job afterwards to bolt it onto the machine. Certainly easier to add this to a joiner then a planner.

Tim Otto
01-26-2020, 6:57 AM
Order it with the bearings already installed. Holbren.com is a good source. Grizzly sells a line of Byrd heads, but they sometimes have fewer cutters

George Makra
01-26-2020, 7:20 AM
Replace the bearings at the time of install.
Byrd gives a 10% discount to vets.