PDA

View Full Version : Belkin Surgemaster hd

Mike Sanfeliz
12-20-2005, 3:10 PM
I wanted to know if anyone here plugs in their table saw into a surge protector or straight into the socket? My outlets are set up on the ceiling in my garage (hey, that how it came :p). I ran a Belkin surgemaster (10 outlet) down to my work bench. It is what I have used for all my power tools without a hitch. My breaker box is equipt for 20 amps (for the garage). Should this be enough for my Craftsman 22104 ts? Below is a description from the manufacture on this product:

SurgeMaster® HD

Part # F5H300-EXT

Power surges and lightning strikes are not the only things that can damage your home workshop equipment. Simply switching your workshop tools on and off can create electrical imbalances that could cause cumulative, permanent damage to your valuable equipment. The Belkin Hardware Metal Surge Protector provides clean, safe power from 10 grounded outlets, for workshop and other electronic devices.

The Belkin name assures you of top-quality construction, inside and out. With a rugged metal casing surrounding its advanced elements and superior circuitry, the Belkin Hardware Surge Protector offers the most complete protection available from power surges, AC contamination and spikes.

Advantages
• 357 Joules
• 10 Outlets
• Impact Resistant Heavy-Duty Metal Case
• Surge Protected Indicator
• 15 ft. Power Cord
• UL 1449 Rating of 330V
• 3-Line protection:hot, neutral and ground
• Lifetime Warranty

Michael Ballent
12-20-2005, 3:16 PM
Well I have never plugged any of be WW machines into a surge protector... Tool motors are not exactly delicate flowers compared to the electronics involved in computers. I would believe that the tools designers have taken into account that they will not get clean power into the tool. But it certainly cannot hurt the tool, just make sure that your set up can support the amperage otherwise its a long walk to the circuit breaker ;) Just my .02 :D

Dan Stuewe
12-20-2005, 3:35 PM
I don't know how to relate that joule value to something on your equipment (current, power). But I know that when I've plugged my saw into a power stip, I've had problems with the strip's internal breaker going off either at startup or when the load increases.

Brian Austin
12-20-2005, 4:19 PM
Joule rating is irrelevant for actual use. It's a measurement for the dissipation of "energy" with regard to surges.

Most surge strips are only rated for 15 amps, however. You've effectively taken your 20A circuit and turned it into 15A. Not a bad thing, just something to think about.

Aside from that, as long as your run from the actual outlet to the saw (regardless of what's in between) isn't too long for the gauge of electrical wire you're using (ie in your extension cord), you should be fine.

Don Baer
12-20-2005, 5:10 PM
Electric motors are inductive devices. When you start a motor due to the inductance on the windings you will actualy cause a surge. This couls actualy cause the surge protector to trip. I would leave the surge protection for electronic devices and plug the motrs in ahead of the surge protector.

Tyler Howell
12-20-2005, 6:26 PM
Lightening and surges can take out a heavey power tool.... but your SP aint going to stop any of that bad boy!
I would and do use a SP on my electronics particulally if you are using power tools.
Microwave, TV, PC.
I have the whole house wired for surge protection and individual SPs for sensitive, hi $$$$ equipment.

Travis Porter
12-20-2005, 6:38 PM
Everything I have is plugged in straight. I do have SP's on all of my electronics and a few UPS systems to boot as I have lost electronics (VCR, telephone), but I did not lose any power tools that were plugged in. Could have gotten the surge through the phone line or cable, but don't know. Being that most power tools have positive disconnect switches, if the tool is off it is going to be tough to get through anyway.

Mike Sanfeliz
12-20-2005, 8:10 PM
Thanks fellas, all info is noted and appreciated. Brian, thanks or the clarification. I think that I should be fine with my set up.