PDA

View Full Version : Is this Pecan?

Dueane Hicks
01-10-2020, 1:38 PM
The tree grew in Eastern Washington in the tri cities.
The person I bought my lathe from gave me these huge chunks of wood; telling me they were Pecan. This was 30% moisture after 3 years of being air dried outside under a tarp. It is rock hard and smoked my bandsaw blade (probably because it was full of mud). I color corrected the photos so the true color is shown. Does this look like pecan? It cracks very easily!
Thank you for any help on this one!

Walter Mooney
01-10-2020, 3:17 PM
Looks too dark to me to be pecan. All the pecan I see here in TX is much lighter in color, and, like your pieces, is rock hard after drying. A turner outside Houston used to refer to it at “pecan-crete”!

Art Mann
01-10-2020, 3:55 PM
Based on the appearance, I would say it is reasonable to identify it as pecan. I would need more pictures to be sure. Pecan is very much like hickory in the way it works. It is hard, brittle and strong.

Dueane Hicks
01-11-2020, 1:11 PM
It's definitely strong and hard as a rock!

John K Jordan
01-11-2020, 3:55 PM
The tree grew in Eastern Washington in the tri cities.
The person I bought my lathe from gave me these huge chunks of wood; telling me they were Pecan. This was 30% moisture after 3 years of being air dried outside under a tarp. It is rock hard and smoked my bandsaw blade (probably because it was full of mud). I color corrected the photos so the true color is shown. Does this look like pecan? It cracks very easily!
Thank you for any help on this one!

It's easy to guess by looking at boards or chunks of wood. If you want to know, shave a bit of the end grain with a single-edge razor blade and look at it with a hand lens. You should be able to tell if it's pecan (or hickory which is extremely close) - they are quite distinctive compared to some other heavy, hard wood species. But if a guess is good enough, your all done.

Pecan

Hickory

JKJ

John Nordyke
01-11-2020, 4:52 PM
The surest way to determine if it is pecan is to bake some into a pie, add cool whip, and see if it makes you want both a second slice and a nap. :D

Dueane Hicks
01-13-2020, 10:10 AM
The surest way to determine if it is pecan is to bake some into a pie, add cool whip, and see if it makes you want both a second slice and a nap. :D

How come my teeth hurt after doing that?

John K Jordan
01-13-2020, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by John Nordyke
The surest way to determine if it is pecan is to bake some into a pie, add cool whip, and see if it makes you want both a second slice and a nap.
How come my teeth hurt after doing that?

The cool whip must have been too cold.

William McAnelly
01-14-2020, 10:37 PM
Pecan smell like chicken manure when you turn it green. When it is dry it is very hard.