PDA

View Full Version : ET Roberts & Lee Saws

Trey Tassin
01-09-2020, 8:34 PM
Hello new here and still learning a lot.
Recently acquired a set of ET Roberts & Lee saws, one back saw and one dovetail. They seem to be of decent quality, need some cleaning up and they are both sharp.
Any input or advice would be great
Thanks

Jim Koepke
01-10-2020, 2:15 AM
Hi Trey and welcome to the Creek.

There are a few posts here on SMC that may be of help. Some of them can be found here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?103805 < That is the Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs folder with a partial archive of posts.

Another site is > www.vintagesaws.com < An SMC member, Pete Taran, keeps that site. It has a library of information which includes a sharpening tutorial.

That is all that comes to mind at the moment.

jtk

Charles Guest
01-10-2020, 2:38 PM
I never worked in a shop where there wasn't a profusion of Roberts and Lee saws. I'm sure somebody will come in with a critique of steel and all that rubbish and how X Brand saws made for the three year period 1890-93 with ore from a specific mine in Sweden are the only ones worth having. I've seen the saws you have used in a professional setting, by talented craftsmen, who made their living with tools. If you can't do good work with them, the issue is to be found in the mirror's reflection. As long as they aren't bent or damaged in some way, you won't be hindered in any way in your work.