PDA

View Full Version : Ringmaster?

Jason Christenson
12-20-2005, 2:45 PM
This week I got a catalog CD in the mail from The Wooden Post or some such place and along with it came a DVD about a machine called the RingMaster. Has anyone seen or used on of these things. My first impression was that this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen, but who knows, maybe it has it's place.

Any opinions?

Jason

Rich Stewart
12-20-2005, 3:00 PM
Do a search in this forum. I remember people talking about it a while back. I think Carole Valentine has one.

David LaRue
12-20-2005, 3:43 PM
Jason,

My buddy has one and he swears by it. I've seen the work he done with it and it is impressive. The only thing I don't really care for is the indentation, or the hole that it leaves in the smallest circle or base.

Richard Allen
12-20-2005, 8:16 PM
I saw one demoed at a woodworking show a couple of years ago. The surface left by the saw had a lot of tearout. The shapes of the bowls were rather limited. The object produced were unmistakable as bowls and these bowls were made from a board. The bowls you make on a lathe are better looking bowls with more oportunity for shapes.

Mostly though woodturning is a joy ands a pleasure which happens to yield delightful objects.

The ringmaster will let you be a ringmaster operator which will yeild servicable bowls.

I turn wood because it is a lot of fun. If all I wanted was bowls I would go to "Peir One" and buy bowls.