PDA

View Full Version : Osb like old cabinet doors?

Adam Herman
01-07-2020, 1:58 PM
a friend has a beautiful mahogany kitchen that the previous owner removed a cabinet for an appliance. we want to try to match some things, and even doors if we can. the kitchen is from the early 60s i believe. all beautifully built in place mahogany and ply cases. the doors are a material i have not encountered before. it looks like osb on the edge, has a nice veneer on the inside out outside. obv. very very stable and still in like new condition for the rest of the kitchen. I think the rails and styles could be matched well enough with some qs oak and stain , but if we can match the doors, it would be really great for what they want to do.

do you know what this material could be?

Jim Becker
01-07-2020, 2:51 PM
Unless the edges of the door panels are actually big-time visible, what the substrate is behind the veneer shouldn't matter...something modern and stable is the most important thing. Are these "slab" doors with no rails and stiles of their own?

Adam Herman
01-07-2020, 3:13 PM
true jim. It sure seems better than the ply i am used to though. every door in that kitchen is dead flat after more than 50 years.

they are "slab" with a radius on the edge, rabbited backs to fit in the "door hole" of the face. the substrate is visible on the edge and rabbit.

Lee Schierer
01-07-2020, 5:34 PM
You may have cabinets that were made with LDF (Low Density Fiberboard) (https://www.richwoodind.com/customwood-low-density-fiberboard-ldf)

peter gagliardi
01-07-2020, 8:33 PM
Sounds like particle board core with veneer facing. Quite common back then.

mike stenson
01-08-2020, 1:23 PM
Sounds like particle board core with veneer facing. Quite common back then.

This is what I thought of immediately. :)

Adam Herman
01-09-2020, 12:25 PM
its not ldf/mdf/any flavor of partical board. it has layers and "chips" like osb. its not ply, the layers are not continuous. ill hopefully get some pictures tomorrow.

Mark Wooden
01-09-2020, 8:17 PM
We used to call it LMC (Laminated Multi Core?) and used it for cabinet boxes and shelving, was supposed to be more stable than veneer core. It was available in birch and maple rotary cut veneer, AA and AB grades that I know of. Don't know if it was more stable but it was certainly heavier......
Haven't used any in a long while though.
https://www.ucfp.com/resources/hardwood_plywood/timber_products/tp_special_t_osb_flyer3.pdf

Charles Lent
01-11-2020, 9:16 AM
If the original cabinets are Mahogany, why do you plan to use Oak for the face frame and door. Mahogany is readily available, and even if not the exact same species of Mahogany, it would certainly match the appearance of your existing cabinets much better than Oak. Use the Mahogany for the rails and stiles of the doors too. The panel could then be made from any of the stable materials available today, with a veneer of Mahogany on one or both sides, or it could just be made from solid Mahogany. Again, Mahogany is readily available and easy to work with. It's also quite stable and even somewhat rot resistant. I'm presently paying $3-6.00/bd ft of it from a lumber source about 5 miles from my shop.

Some photos of your existing doors and the space that you want to fill would help us help you.

Charley

Adam Herman
01-11-2020, 10:27 AM
THATS IT! Thanks Mark!

charles, this stuff is pretty light, and we will get mahogany if we can. There is approx. one place in the whole state that may or may not have some. we are in a bit of a material desert here.

Jim Becker
01-11-2020, 11:16 AM
Adam, for things like rails and stiles and even panels, you can usually order "shorts" online from "far away" to make things look like they belong together. Mahogany, Sapele, etc., can be had if you need it. :)