PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hole Jig for 1/2 inch material

Vijay Kumar
01-06-2020, 11:30 AM
I have the Kreg K3 system. I now see that Kreg is selling a Micro drill system to fit in the other Kregs and claims it can make a smaller hole and is better suited for the thinner materials.

So all you pocket hole experts --Is it the right jig for 1/2 inch materials or just a marketing hype?

Richard Coers
01-06-2020, 12:33 PM
Marketing hype? You need the center of the screw exiting near the center of the stock. So the location of the drill bushing must be located in a different place than when drilling 3/4" stock. To get a proper flat for the screw head, I would assume you need a different head size on the screw. I find Kreg to be a great company with wonderful customer service and fine engineering. Deception is not an issue with them.

Pat Rice
01-06-2020, 12:38 PM
423061I use the micro drill bit on my Kreg Foreman all the time making drawer boxes out of 1/2" Baltic birch plywood and use Kreg 3/4" screws, it works well for me.

Dave Sweeney
01-06-2020, 5:17 PM
That micro jig is not new, it's been around for many years. Pretty much if you want to make stuff with 1/2" ply on a Kreg Jig you need the micro jig. A bigger issue is finding some real 1/2" ply, even with the micro jig you need to be careful driving screws into what passes for 1/2" ply these days.

Vijay Kumar
01-06-2020, 5:21 PM
423061I use the micro drill bit on my Kreg Foreman all the time making drawer boxes out of 1/2" Baltic birch plywood and use Kreg 3/4" screws, it works well for me.

Thank you all. Pat where do you find the 3/4 inch screws? Are these available in coarse thread. Links please?

johnny means
01-06-2020, 5:25 PM
The main issue with pocket screws in .5" material is that the screwhead usually sits proud of the pocket. The ⅜" hole is to wide for optimal placement in the center of the board. The smaller set up scales the whole system down for a better fit. I wouldn't call that a gimmick.

Vijay Kumar
01-06-2020, 6:01 PM
Never mind . It looks like the 3/4 inch length is available only in fine thread, suitable for hardwood but not plywood.

Bruce Wrenn
01-06-2020, 8:19 PM
You can use standard Kreg jig to do 1/2" material. Kreg makes a "shim" to put under material to elevate it. Before I bought a micro jig, I made bunches of drawers using old jig and shim. Google "using Kreg jig on 1/2" stock." The answer will appear in the Kreg Owners forum. With this method, you use 1" screws, instead of the "standard" 1 1/4" screws.

Vijay Kumar
01-06-2020, 10:32 PM
You can use standard Kreg jig to do 1/2" material. Kreg makes a "shim" to put under material to elevate it. Before I bought a micro jig, I made bunches of drawers using old jig and shim. Google "using Kreg jig on 1/2" stock." The answer will appear in the Kreg Owners forum. With this method, you use 1" screws, instead of the "standard" 1 1/4" screws.

Thank you Bruce and all for your feedback.

Rick Potter
01-07-2020, 3:01 AM
I agree that coarse screws are called for on plywood, with it's soft plies, but real Baltic birch ply is all hardwood plies, and is quite hard all the way through. I would think fine screws would be OK, if that is what you plan to use.

Jan Smith
01-07-2020, 7:00 AM

This, I have the first version and it also came with spacers for 1/2” material.

Bruce Wrenn
01-07-2020, 12:46 PM
This, I have the first version and it also came with spacers for 1/2” material.

Actually yours is most likely the second version. The first was aluminum, of which I have two.

Jim Becker
01-07-2020, 2:54 PM
I have the older aluminum version like Bruce. I've use it for .5" material a few times by adjusting the stop on the step drill with no issue with 1" pocket screws. If I had to do that a lot, I'd probably opt for a separate, dedicated jig, but that hasn't been an issue for me due to infrequent need.

glenn bradley
01-07-2020, 4:33 PM

My experience mirrors Pat's. Well worth having.

George Bokros
01-07-2020, 5:11 PM

I searched per your suggestion and could not find anything concerning the wedge. I have a K3 and it did not come with a wedge.

Thanks

Jan Smith
01-07-2020, 6:00 PM
Actually yours is most likely the second version. The first was aluminum, of which I have two.
Did not know that, do you know how they compare to the newer plastic ones?

Lisa Starr
01-07-2020, 6:18 PM
I'm not sure I get the replies. I just set the K3 ? jig and drill for 1/2" and drill like normal. It takes 1" screws to assemble this setup. I use it for "quick" drawers all the time.

Jim Becker
01-07-2020, 8:07 PM
Did not know that, do you know how they compare to the newer plastic ones?

The metrics should be the same. They are just made of different materials and the newer blue plastic setups have some OEM options available that the "plain Jane" cast aluminum units that Bruce and I own didn't have...such as the side extension wings, etc. I use a couple pieces of scrap plywood for that. :)

Bruce Wrenn
01-07-2020, 9:27 PM
I searched per your suggestion and could not find anything concerning the wedge. I have a K3 and it did not come with a wedge.

ThanksIf you read post in Kreg Owners Forum, poster used a 1/8" piece of hard board for shim, and set drill 1/8" shallower.

George Bokros
01-08-2020, 7:36 AM
Thanks Bruce. I will do another search.

Bruce Wrenn
01-08-2020, 9:56 PM
Jim, I converted one of my A-2 jigs to clamp from the front, instead of having to reach around behind to clamp material. Did the same with newer type jig, only using drill guide block.

Pat Rice
01-08-2020, 10:36 PM
You can get them from Amazon and Lowe’s usually has them. They are not available in course thread. 423250

Pat Rice
01-08-2020, 10:38 PM
I use the 3/4” fine thread in plywood all the time, work just fine.

Jim Becker
01-09-2020, 11:06 AM
While the fine threaded fasteners are not ideal, they are fine if you don't over tighten them (care taken when driving the screws) and appropriate glue is used for the joint.