PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
01-06-2020, 9:06 AM
6 Jan 2020

Happy New Year to all of you!

This past week has been a stressful time for me. Spraying a new clear coat for me has been challenging. I also had to buy a new spray gun as all my other spray equipment is old and worn out. That's what I get for being out of woodworking for several years and then getting back into it! I finally get some time off from the day job as most people are going back to work today and I get to be off because of all the time I worked over the Christmas and New Years holiday weeks.
I continue to learn more about CNC work, software, control interfaces and g-code. I'm excited and challenged by this experience and my hope it to get everything working the way I want it to and make things that I'm happy with on my little cnc setup.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.

Paul F Franklin
01-06-2020, 10:16 AM
Dennis,

Glad you are getting a break from day job and are spending time in the shop. I have not yet gotten in to spray finishing projects but the handwriting is on the wall so will be following your experiences.

After wrapping up my mantel project, I spent a couple of days cleaning the shop and sharpening stuff. Then I started building a drawer bank for under my bench. It's about 5 feet wide, 22" deep and 18" tall with 2 sets of 5 fairly shallow drawers. Have the carcass pieces cut and ready for assembly but am waiting for the drawer slides so I can install them before glue up, or at least lay out and predrill for them. Fedex dropped off the slides this AM so full speed ahead. Need to pick up the material for drawer sides and bottoms today. When I take a break from that I am also starting work on new router table which will be next build. Still just planning that at this point.

While planning the drawer bank, I realized would be better off rotating my bench 180 degrees and rearranging the shelves and tool cabinets on the walls near the bench to make a more efficient layout, so as always, one project tends to snowball....

Have a great week all!

Charles Taylor
01-06-2020, 10:57 AM
I finished the bed frame I built as a Christmas gift. Test fit it in the only convenient location that I had...

Delivered it (without the chiminea) on Saturday afternoon.

I turned my attention to an armchair that I'll adapt from a Stickley example circa 1915. I built this chair's armless sibling six or seven years ago.

Jim Becker
01-06-2020, 11:10 AM
Time off from the day job for you sounds like a great thing, Dennis!

Quiet week for me. Relative to woodworking, I wasn't in the shop much, but did do a little work on a product I'm evaluating for a manufacturer and stared cutting a few novelty signs for close friends. I really need to do some heavy shop cleanup before I get hot and heavy back into things. So much of what I'm doing now focuses on my CNC and it's a, um...messy machine...even with great dust collection. Nature of the beast. :)

On another note, I'll probably have to plan another trip to Florida in the next month or so as my 89yo kid/mother isn't going to be able to transition back into her assisted living suite room. She took a fall a couple months ago and face-planted in her bathroom. Rehabilitation has failed to restore her ability to dress her self and handle even basic hygiene, so she's likely going to have to stay in the skilled nursing area of her life-care community. That means I'll likely soon get a letter that requires her other room to be cleaned out within 20 days. That will be four Florida round trips within 9 months...my Subaru Ascent that I took delivery of in May 2019 is already at over 13K miles, even though I'm retired from work and work travel. LOL'

Happy New Year, folks!

Mark Hockenberg
01-06-2020, 6:44 PM
Wrapped up a new bookcase for my wife. She gets the bookcase & I get to buy any tools I want - Pretty good deal!

Bruce Wrenn
01-06-2020, 8:45 PM
Wednesday evening had several of the "girls" (widows) from Sunday School class over for traditional New Years meal (fresh pork, black eyed peas, collard greens, candied yams, and ginger bread for dessert. Thursday, bride and I went to pick up her special valentine candy from Kroger. Nearest Kroger is only 112 miles away. Before going to Kroger, stopped by grave yard and put flowers on MIL's grave. If she was still living, she would have been 105 that day. Fixed faucet on kitchen sink on Saturday. Finally found out where van is losing water (heater control valve) on Sunday afternoon. Also did monthly generator run tests. Installed a light over the kitchen sink. Blew pine straw off roof today, while checking for a leak. Shingles on that section of house are almost 40 years old. Looks like I will be doing some shingles pretty soon.