PDA

View Full Version : tops for tots

John K Jordan
01-05-2020, 10:43 PM
The batch of tops for the kindergarten class this Christmas. I didn't finish them until late the night before...

JKJ

Frederick Skelly
01-06-2020, 6:35 AM
Very neat. Bet they will love them John!

Dick Mahany
01-06-2020, 11:06 AM
Good looking lot. What do you use for the colorings?

Rudy Musclow
01-06-2020, 2:37 PM
Nice work, great idea they will love them.

John K Jordan
01-06-2020, 3:10 PM
Dick,

I use a variety of things. One year I used specta ply which had it own coloring! (and turned a central shaft/handle from another wood)

This year I tried using water color pens for the first time. I found that by careful selection a set of bands of color look like a nice gradient. This worked so well that I'm about to make more the same way. I use these brush pens which I buy when the price drops (I set a watch on camelcamelcamel.com).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N9IY5QF
They actually have a pretty good price right now, but I have bought them at less than $20 when I caught a temporary price drop. They make GREAT presents for artists! Spray acrylic will finish without the colors bleeding.

--------------------------
Rudy,

Thanks. I've made 100s of these over the years. I used to send batches of 50 with a missionary to Romania who used them as incentives in children's programs. (no batteries required!) I also carry a pocket full when traveling and give them out to people I meet. They are perfect conversation starters!! We've actually become good friends with a family in Italy that started when I gave a girl and her aunt a top on a train from Austria to Venice - we since became pen-pals and they show us around their area when we visit and some of them come visit us! Good clean fun.

423087 423084 423085

Most people seem to make tops quickly and use chatter tools to texture. I got tired of that quickly and started making them from a variety of woods, mostly harder woods like dogwood, osage orange, hard maple, and persimmon, holly and sugar maple when I want to add color, a lot of exotics - cocobolo, ebony, bloodwood, bubinga, etc., I pay attention to detail and form and try new shapes all the time!

I think tops are a great way to develop turning skills. They will teach you fine tool control and a delicate touch for surfaces that need very little or sometimes no sanding! I assign tops as practice homework to students. :)

BTW, I made this to show how I turn - turn and finish the bottom first, then the top of the body, then the handle. Once you thin the handle you can't touch the rest with a tool. I typically chuck up a longer piece of wood, maybe 1.5" by 8=10" and turn two or three in a row without tailstock support.

Try them! My typical tools are a roughing gouge, parting tool, skew, 3/8" spindle gouge, and possibly a thin wire for friction burns for the black lines on some.

JKJ

Bill Bukovec
01-06-2020, 9:30 PM
John, thanks for the inspiration!