PDA

View Full Version : Close Angle Drill

ChrisA Edwards
01-05-2020, 10:16 PM
On a few YouTube videos of folk turning, I see quite a few of them using a close angle drill for sanding (like the picture below).

I've come across a couple of, what looks like these, on Amazon, but I would like recommendations from the experts.

Thanks

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81nzkkzF%2BcL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Steve Eure
01-05-2020, 10:30 PM
Those work well but if you use one like that or similar, make sure to periodically blow it out with compressed air to help with the dust. If not, it will be toast in short order. I use the one that HF sells. It has been bullet proof so far. I've had it for over 3 years with no issues. The air vent is farther down the handle than most and dust doesn't affect it as much. It still needs TLC with compressed air, but a good tool at a much better price.

tom lucas
01-06-2020, 7:33 AM
I have the neiko. Works well. Wish it had a keyless chuck though.

Dick Mahany
01-06-2020, 9:48 AM
I've used an older Milwaukee 0375-1 for years on the lathe for sanding. It works well however as others have said it needs to be blown out frequently with air (mine is overdue in the pic) and the keyed chuck is not convenient. Milwaukee has an updated version and there are several close copies by others that I haven't used but the form factor is very good for lathe sanding.

Dueane Hicks
01-06-2020, 12:36 PM
I purchased the blue one from woodturners wonders; the reason I Picked this one is metal gears that are designed for dust. It's well made for the money. Although the first thing I did was spray a heavy coat of dry Teflon on the gears. Most the others including the Red one, have plastic gears, which may, or may not matter.

https://woodturnerswonders.com/products/angle-drill

John K Jordan
01-06-2020, 7:50 PM
I've used an older Milwaukee 0375-1 for years on the lathe for sanding. It works well however as others have said it needs to be blown out frequently with air (mine is overdue in the pic) and the keyed chuck is not convenient. Milwaukee has an updated version and there are several close copies by others that I haven't used but the form factor is very good for lathe sanding.

I used the same drill for years until I quit power sanding with rotating disks. I did blow out the dust occasionally. Still works great but I only use it for drilling in tight places now. For non-hand sanding I highly prefer a 2" or 3" pneumatic random orbital sander.

Dueane Hicks
01-11-2020, 1:13 PM
I put some liquid rubber on the trigger so my finger doesn't keep slipping into the teeth on the chuck.