PDA

View Full Version : Turned Christmas Gifts

David Hayes
12-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Nothing too big or fancy, but thought I would share with ya'll some turned Christmas gifts for my friends and family.

Confetti lights from Bubinga and sparsely Spalted Maple.

European style pen & letter opener sets from Honduran Rosewood.

The confetti lights were finished with lacquer then buffed with the Beall system. My first Beall experience - I loved it!

Merry Christmas!

Dave

Mark Cothren
12-20-2005, 11:37 AM
That's some nice work, David. Looks like great finishes on the confetti lamps.

I'm sure those gifts will make some folks very happy!

Thanks for the pictures!

Ron Ainge
12-20-2005, 12:45 PM
David I like both the pen and pencil sets as well as the lamps. the buffing system is great and it also hides a lot of little scratches that my old eyes cannot see.

Ernie Nyvall
12-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Nice work David. Great looking finish.

Ernie

Keith Burns
12-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Great gifts that will make someone very happy. I like the lamps as the form is unusual. :) :)

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Beautiful work David. That finish looks great.

Gary DeWitt
12-20-2005, 11:19 PM
I like the buffed finish as well. Havn't used it yet, but I'd like to. Seems to give a nice glow without the plasticy (?) gloss, which looks fake to me.
Nice shapes as well, a bit different than other lamps I've seen.

Andy Hoyt
12-21-2005, 12:05 AM
David - They look great. Thanks for sharing.

Gary - Very nice! 'Course if I'm not mistaken Dickens' Ebenezer never said, "Bah, Humbug!", just, "Humbug". It was you fancy pants Hollywood types that added the Bah.:D Is that you in there?

John Hart
12-21-2005, 6:35 AM
Very nice Dave!! It's great playin' Santa ain't it? :) :) ...Or are we the Elves? ;)

Ron Mitchell
12-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Very Nice work Dave. I have a question...Where do you get the box that holds the Pen & Letter opener, I've been looking for a box just like that.

David Hayes
12-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Ron - I got the boxes from Craft Supplies USA in Provo, Utah. They are the only ones I've seen that carry a box that is cut to fit the pen/letter openers.

All - thanks for the comments. The lamp shapes are unusual due to my still learning how to turn. They are more spindle like due to my lack of larger diameter stock. A fine gentleman pointed out to me privately that due to them being tall, there is a need to place them such that the risk of being knocked over is eliminated. That is great advice and wanted to share with ya'll in case some of yours are taller than they are wide.

Thanks,
Dave