PDA

View Full Version : ? Converting 120v Mini Gorilla DC to 220v

Ray McGrath
01-05-2020, 3:10 PM
I'm in the process of wiring my shop for 220v, has anyone converted their mini gorilla to 220v? the Bluffton motor is dual voltage however the wiring diagram on the nameplate does not match how the motor is wired (110v). I've contacted Oneida, well lets just say not interested in assisting.
The pic of wiring box shows the hot connected to a brown wire into motor (no brown wire on diagram), the diagram shows the hot connected to violet and yellow. the neutral is as the diagram shows, white to black and blue. The switch is rated for 277v.
I may try contacting Bluffton, the motor manufacturer, any ideas would be appreciated.

Lee Schierer
01-05-2020, 4:13 PM
From what I see in the second photo your switch is a double pole double throw switch with the two neutral wires disconnected in the photo. The first photo appears to be a wiring diagram for your motor. To convert your motor to 240 volts, all the changes should take place in this box. The yellow and blue should be tied together, the violet wire is capped and the white and black should be connected to the switch as they were previously. You should connect the two hots so that the switch cuts both when you turn the saw off. The white wire coming into the box from your power source should be covered with black shrink tube to designate that it is now a hot.

I am not an expert on motor wiring so hopefully someone with more knowledge will confirm or correct my suggestion above. Your wiring diagram is pretty vague to say the least.

Dan Friedrichs
01-05-2020, 4:25 PM
I think Lee's onto something - you're looking in the switch box (I think?), but is there a different junction box on the motor? Perhaps hidden under a plate on the end of the motor?

Wayne Cannon
01-06-2020, 12:55 AM
The Bluffton we site at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://teecoproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IS-14B-Wiring-Diagram-for-1-1.5-HP-Single-Phase-Bluffton-Motor-Works-Motor.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwii5Mjyou7mAhXUoFsKHWboDNgQFjAKegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0aKsaGG6A2lbOeNc78vlGr is consistent with the diagram you posted. It explicitly says that the motor wire may be yellow OR brown. There is more info for a "Bluffton motor wiring" search, including a manual.

Lee Schierer
01-06-2020, 8:25 AM
The Bluffton we site at https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://teecoproducts.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/IS-14B-Wiring-Diagram-for-1-1.5-HP-Single-Phase-Bluffton-Motor-Works-Motor.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwii5Mjyou7mAhXUoFsKHWboDNgQFjAKegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw0aKsaGG6A2lbOeNc78vlGr is consistent with the diagram you posted. It explicitly says that the motor wire may be yellow OR brown. There is more info for a "Bluffton motor wiring" search, including a manual.

Here is a clearer wire connection diagram. Each of the inputs should go to each side of your switch so that both 120 volt inputs get cut off when the saw is off.

Ray McGrath
01-06-2020, 9:06 AM
I think Lee's onto something - you're looking in the switch box (I think?), but is there a different junction box on the motor? Perhaps hidden under a plate on the end of the motor?

No separate box. what is confusing is that the brown wire goes into the motor (hard to see in pic) and the yellow and violet also go into the motor. this is what confuses me, the fact that the brown wire is not listed and a yellow wire exists. I believe I will call Bluffton hopefully the will clarify.

Ray McGrath
01-06-2020, 9:14 AM
Thank you, I've looked at that diagram previously, I do not believe it is the same motor, as mine has no orange or pink lead.
As I stated above in my reply to Dan, I'm going to call Bluffton, perhaps they can clarify.

David L Morse
01-06-2020, 9:42 AM
The Brown wire goes to the thermal protector. Leave it as is. Connect the other wires according to the diagram. (Blue to White, Black to Yellow, Violet capped off) The motor is not reversible so the start winding is internally connected. That means 4 wires for voltage selection plus one for the thermal protection (it's other two terminals are also internally connected.).

Edit: This may cause more confusion than clarity but it shows how the thermal protector is wired.

Ray McGrath
01-06-2020, 1:41 PM
Thank you David,