PDA

View Full Version : What glue should I use for laminating?

James Spillman
01-05-2020, 1:58 PM
I need to laminate five pieces of 1/8" cherry to form an armrest for a chair. Their are four armrests needed for two chairs. The armrest will be 5/4" thick x 5 1/4" wide x 36" long. They will have a very slight bow over their length. I have seen videos where plastic resin glue was used. I am concerned with the safety issues of using plastic resin glues. I am wondering if a Titebond product like Titebond III, Titebond Ultimate, or their liquid hide glue could be used to form the glue up. What would you do? Thanks.

Matt Day
01-05-2020, 2:32 PM
I’ve used TB3 for this in the past without any problem.

jack duren
01-05-2020, 2:42 PM
Titebond 1 or 2

Mel Fulks
01-05-2020, 2:44 PM
I prefer the plastic resin glue. I mix like label says,then add more water to where it will drip ,not run ,off lifted stirring stick.
Then let it sit 10 or 15 minutes before using. You will probably have a thinner glue line with PRG.
If you can't get work space to at least 70 degrees forget PLG

Jamie Buxton
01-05-2020, 3:10 PM
I used urea-formaldehyde glues like Plastic Resin Glue for years, but gave it up over concern about formaldehyde exposure. I now use epoxy for bent lamination. Epoxy doesn’t cold creep. I use West Systems, but System Three makes the same stuff.

Mike Henderson
01-05-2020, 4:57 PM
I've used Titebond with no problems.

Mike

johnny means
01-05-2020, 5:03 PM
Any thing that actually gets hard will do. I usually base my decision on open time. Complex lamination that take a long time get West or similar. Easy panel veneering gets Titebod III.

Don Stephan
01-05-2020, 8:01 PM
Haven't seen any mention of plastic resin aka urea formaldehyde concerns since the "Katrina trailers." My assumption has always been darn near all surfaces in those trailers were plywood glued with plastic resin, and the trailers were relatively air tight. Once I made a replacement bent lamination for a chair using plastic resin, and the long open time was very helpful. And there was no spring back when unclamped from the form.

andy bessette
01-06-2020, 1:31 AM
WEST epoxy.

Mark Daily
01-06-2020, 11:07 AM
Titebond Extend gives you 20-25 minutes of assembly time according to Titebond.

James Spillman
01-06-2020, 11:47 AM
Thank you for the responses. It looks like a Titebond product will work for me.

Don Stephan
01-07-2020, 8:40 PM
White and yellow glues have a reputation for not drying brittle hard. When I have scraped a glue smear off a piece of laminate the next day, the dried glue can bend. So after you release the lamination from the clamping form, it might spring back slightly if the form has a decent amount of curve. Glues that dry brittle hard, such as plastic resin/urea formaldehyde, hot hide glue, and some epoxies aren't likely to allow the springback. You might consider a test clamping with an inexpensive wood.

Tom Bain
01-07-2020, 9:02 PM
I generally prefer plastic resin (urea formaldehyde) glues for bent laminations, but all the bent laminations (and there are quite a few of them) in the chair and ottoman pictured below were done with Titebond with no issues. The thickest lamination is a little over 7/8”. Just have to work a little more quickly and having someone to assist (if its a complex/tight bend) is also a good idea.

Ben Rivel
01-08-2020, 1:16 PM
Titebond here too.