PDA

View Full Version : Bauerle planer

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 2:09 PM
From sad to sexy beast.
Still a couple things left to make it 100% perfect.
Also having new badges made, original ones are not salvageable.

David Kumm
01-04-2020, 2:14 PM
This just makes the wait for the HCH harder. Who makes your badges? Dave

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 2:26 PM
This just makes the wait for the HCH harder. Who makes your badges? Dave

I contacted a place in Chicago called American Nameplate, but I was just made aware of a guy in AZ that is doing this as well.

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 2:29 PM
What a beauty..

This and the t17 for you or clients?

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 2:54 PM
What a beauty..

This and the t17 for you or clients?

Customer's.

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 3:08 PM
Well that’s a lucky customer.

That machine with that work done to it.

Not having to do anything but plug it in.

Wowzah!

Very nice work..

I’m green with envy ;)

Mark Hennebury
01-04-2020, 3:10 PM
Beautiful job Darcy. Fine machine.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 3:23 PM
Well that’s a lucky customer.

That machine with that work done to it.

Not having to do anything but plug it in.

Wowzah!

Very nice work..

I’m green with envy ;)

Its basically new with a Hermance head.
I swear there were like 30 bearings in it.
Has a row of anti kick back fingers, solid infeed roll, quick adjust bed rollers, 4 speed feed, all stuffed inside a sleek sexy package.

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 3:31 PM
You can feel very good about what you did..

I’d charge a pretty penny for that machine in that condition regardless of its actual value. Pretty sure its probably fairly valuable non the less.

I’d be nearly willing to part with a organ for that machine if I had one to spare. And if I had the money to afford paying someone to do the work I’d just open the checkbook. Sadly for me my only option is to get my hands dirty.

Its basically new with a Hermance head.
I swear there were like 30 bearings in it.
Has a row of anti kick back fingers, solid infeed roll, quick adjust bed rollers, 4 speed feed, all stuffed inside a sleek sexy package.

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 3:33 PM
Is that German writing I spy on the handwheel.

Jesus if so o me o my

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 3:35 PM
Beautiful job Darcy. Fine machine.

This thing drove me up the wall, I now know of 3 in the US, one sort of worked, this one and I finally tracked down the other one that was with this one when I picked it up. (I digress, I have seen two more advertised in auction flyers)

I am missing a gear box clutch brake that would make it a perfect machine. Just can't hold itself in neutral without the brake, not enough resistance in feed works.

Thanks Mark.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 3:37 PM
Is that German writing I spy on the handwheel.

Jesus if so o me o my

Bauerle was the largest manufacturer of WW machinery in Germany in the 50s through the late 70s. Not many here though. All were directly imported as I find no evidence of a Importer/dealer here.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 3:50 PM
The kids and I are headed back to the shop to fiddle with the adjustments on the planer, pressure bar is a bit low and I need a bit more tension on the feed rolls.

Shoot a quick video of it running some lumber.
Fairly quiet machine, all you hear is the whine of the 28" head running at 5k rpm.

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 4:01 PM
Oh I know what it w thanks to guys like , you joe and trolling the interweb like a mad man.

i was just noticing the detail of the German on the handwheel.

i know so of my draw or things I find appealing don’t quite add up to some but that detail is like crack to me.

Bauerle was the largest manufacturer of WW machinery in Germany in the 50s through the late 70s. Not many here though. All were directly imported as I find no evidence of a Importer/dealer here.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 4:57 PM
Oh I know what it w thanks to guys like , you joe and trolling the interweb like a mad man.

i was just noticing the detail of the German on the handwheel.

i know so of my draw or things I find appealing don’t quite add up to some but that detail is like crack to me.

I'll take some pictures of the hand wheels.

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 5:20 PM
I would appreciate that.

I think it’s pretty great the kids get involved.

Not that you probably care or should care that I think so much. Regardless it’s pretty awesome from numerous perspective.

I'll take some pictures of the hand wheels.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 5:25 PM
I would appreciate that.

I think it’s pretty great the kids get involved.

Not that you probably care or should care that I think so much. Regardless it’s pretty awesome from numerous perspective.

My kids have been on a jobsite, in my shop, moving equipment, helping since they could walk. My 14 year old took apart, cleaned up and out a bench top Kruper veneer stitcher back together today. A, she asked if she could, B I gave her money to go to a movie with her friends tonight.

Just doing my part to raise 3 kids that get the value of work and know how to use their heads and their hands.

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 5:44 PM
It’s a invaluable trait you are instilling in them.

I was expected to have a job making actual money since I was seven years old. Sure it was delivering those stupid flyers in bags we used to get hung on our front doors but I was up and out every weekend before the sun rose doing so. I was also expected to do real chores around the house weekly. And not just fluff but scrub the bathroom, vacuum and mop the floors and do laundry keep the dishes done and not just my own. Mom worked two jobs and this was the way it had to be. If I really wanted something bad enough she would always find a way to make it happen buy it always involved me working for it. By 14-15 I worked at least part time and if I wanted something it was on me.

Not only did it teach me that if you’re not rich work is a fact of life. But it actually made me appreciate and enjoy hard work. Also taught me boat loads of common sense. Taught me if you really want something you can have it but it’s gonna be at the cost of something else. Not only do I not see kids actually working anymore but I see parents who don’t want there kids to work. Seems like we are just trying to creat generation after generation of people that don’t wanna work.

My kids have been on a jobsite, in my shop, moving equipment, helping since they could walk. My 14 year old took apart, cleaned up and out a bench top Kruper veneer stitcher back together today. A, she asked if she could, B I gave her money to go to a movie with her friends tonight.

Just doing my part to raise 3 kids that get the value of work and know how to use their heads and their hands.

David Kumm
01-04-2020, 5:48 PM
Was there a problem with the head or did the customer just want the Hermance? What were the head bearings? Single, double, max fill, shielded?

Also wondering what would be an equivalent planer. In the Euro market, Kolle, Bauerle and martin were pretty equal. Here would it be the Whitney S248 ? Dave

Mark Hennebury
01-04-2020, 6:06 PM
I lived in St Johns, Newfoundland in the 70's ( it's in Canada for those that don't know) A government run workshop closed down and i went the the auction, the place was loaded with big German woodworking machines, I got a 24" w. Klein and sons jointer, and a 24"combination jointer planer. They had a huge jointer there that made my 24" one look small, i am not sure what the actual size was, but it was massive. They also had a lot of Bauerle equipment, Big table saws and shapers and even a 24" weining thickness planer. Not sure how they ended up with all German stuff, there certainly wasn't any dealer that i ever heard of selling it.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 6:49 PM
Was there a problem with the head or did the customer just want the Hermance? What were the head bearings? Single, double, max fill, shielded?

Also wondering what would be an equivalent planer. In the Euro market, Kolle, Bauerle and martin were pretty equal. Here would it be the Whitney S248 ? Dave

Cutterhead was his choice, 2308 double row SA in cutterhead, 2206 DR SA in feed rolls.

I have owned a kolle and a Martin, they are fairly similar, bauerle was the heaviest build, kolle was very similar.

The HCH63 is very similar to this set up.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 6:50 PM
I lived in St Johns, Newfoundland in the 70's ( it's in Canada for those that don't know) A government run workshop closed down and i went the the auction, the place was loaded with big German woodworking machines, I got a 24" w. Klein and sons jointer, and a 24"combination jointer planer. They had a huge jointer there that made my 24" one look small, i am not sure what the actual size was, but it was massive. They also had a lot of Bauerle equipment, Big table saws and shapers and even a 24" weining thickness planer. Not sure how they ended up with all German stuff, there certainly wasn't any dealer that i ever heard of selling it.

All I have ran across an owned, was directly imported by the shops owners.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 6:51 PM
It’s a invaluable trait you are instilling in them.

I was expected to have a job making actual money since I was seven years old. Sure it was delivering those stupid flyers in bags we used to get hung on our front doors but I was up and out every weekend before the sun rose doing so. I was also expected to do real chores around the house weekly. And not just fluff but scrub the bathroom, vacuum and mop the floors and do laundry keep the dishes done and not just my own. Mom worked two jobs and this was the way it had to be. If I really wanted something bad enough she would always find a way to make it happen buy it always involved me working for it. By 14-15 I worked at least part time and if I wanted something it was on me.

Not only did it teach me that if you’re not rich work is a fact of life. But it actually made me appreciate and enjoy hard work. Also taught me boat loads of common sense. Taught me if you really want something you can have it but it’s gonna be at the cost of something else. Not only do I not see kids actually working anymore but I see parents who don’t want there kids to work. Seems like we are just trying to creat generation after generation of people that don’t wanna work.

Nah, everyone thinks their kids are going to go to college to be doctors, they start preaching college in elementary school. My middle girl told her teacher that the world needs ditch diggers too. Lol

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 7:04 PM
Haha good for her and you,

Not to promote ditch digging as it is a hard road in many ways vrs the alternative I was surrounded by growing up.

And please nobody get me wrong nothing wrong with wanting a better life your kids.

But it seems then and worse now in areas with economic fortune that parents do not want their kids working but to focus on their education thinking go to school get good grades then to a good university get a bachelors the now a doctorate. Clearly some do focus apply themself and some don’t just taking the meal ticket extending the inevitable.

What I see in both cases though are now generations of people that generally don’t really want to work. Even the ones that did apply themself don’t really understand what hard work really is. And the ones that did not apply themself but just saw the easy way “someone carry their rear ends” get really good at finding ways to get other people to do their work for them.

Along the way so many people by my side told me “patrick work with your brain not with your hands” these people generally were always ok with making money off the backs of others hard work. I was just never ok with that. A hard days work was always something I could much more easily hang there hat on.

I do think it’s a mistake that generally we have not taught our kids that hard work is mandatory. And that consequence and suffering are the result otherwise.

Anyway that’s a sweet machine. What lucky state gets to call it home?

Nah, everyone thinks their kids are going to go to college to be doctors, they start preaching college in elementary school. My middle girl told her teacher that the world needs ditch diggers too. Lol

Warren Lake
01-04-2020, 7:20 PM
Good on the child labour there Darcy. Kathy Lee would be proud :) im kidding Nice you share your work with your kids they understand you that much more of how hard their father works

Ive had helpers from time to time. The last one would say well lf i come over what would I be doing? I finally said we'll have a few beers, smoke a doob and play video games. One day a friend brought a friend and said he likes to keep busy if you ever need help. He was nearly 70. He used to call and ask if there was anything I needed done. He helped with lawn cutting and outside stuff and still always called and asked which was great. He wanted to keep moving as being retired he realized the value of not sitting in a lump. He would come over for 15 minutes to help me move a machine even. Sadly he went on holidays to play golf. (who plays golf or spoils a vacation with that :) ) He didnt feel well went to the bathroom and died instantly. Pretty sad. He was one of the nicest people you would meet.

In 130 plus auctions ive seen Baeurle stuff once in only one shop, an italian shop with maybe 50 employees and around for 50-80 years. It had sheets attached with maintenance records which spoke highly of their history there.

The gov thing its likely they ask and are told what the best is and since its our coin they go for the best,. likely one of the few things they actually do right.

Mark Hennebury
01-04-2020, 7:25 PM
Welcome to the new world;

The world's top-earning YouTube star is an 8-year-old boy who made $22 million in a single year reviewing toys. The 8-year-old Ryan Kaji of YouTube's RyanToysReview generated $22 million in revenue in a single year from his YouTube fame, according to Forbes in its most recent report on YouTuber earnings.Oct 20, 2019

8-year-old YouTube star of Ryan ToysReview made $22 ...
https://www.businessinsider.com (https://www.businessinsider.com/8-year-old-youtube-star-ryan-toysreview-made-22-million-2019-10) › 8-year-old-youtube-star-ryan-toysreview-...

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 7:28 PM
My old shop/bench mate 10 years younger than me told me of that guy last year.

Blows your mind the way people figure to make a living not working these days.

I’m just old and jaded I guess. Probably true...

Welcome to the new world;

The world's top-earning YouTube star is an 8-year-old boy who made $22 million in a single year reviewing toys. The 8-year-old Ryan Kaji of YouTube's RyanToysReview generated $22 million in revenue in a single year from his YouTube fame, according to Forbes in its most recent report on YouTuber earnings.Oct 20, 2019

8-year-old YouTube star of Ryan ToysReview made $22 ...
https://www.businessinsider.com (https://www.businessinsider.com/8-year-old-youtube-star-ryan-toysreview-made-22-million-2019-10) › 8-year-old-youtube-star-ryan-toysreview-...

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 7:32 PM
Also,

Good long from one end of the earth today regarding this T23 I want to purchase I stumbled upon the exact machine I’m looking to purchase but at a auction I know know to be the auction the seller purchased it at.

I spited two things speaking of euro equipment.

One being the link below. Man what I would do to have purchased this little gem. Then a Martin T75 same vintage as mine but with a much bigger cast table. Wrecks my head I never see this stuff. Guess I best start keeping a pile o cash in the bank get myself a trailer for the new van and start stalking out auctions.

https://industrialbid.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/4920/lot/912021/Frommia-Maschinemfabrik-model-700-s/n1177-(year-1960)-Routing-Table?uact=5&aid=4920&lid=912020&current_page=0

Jon Grider
01-04-2020, 7:35 PM
Beautiful resto, congrats!

Mark Hennebury
01-04-2020, 7:40 PM
Look on the bright side Patrick, maybe that little kid will hire some old fart like you to make furniture for one of his mansions.:D

It's an absurd world!

My old shop/bench mate 10 years younger than me told me of that guy last year.

Blows your mind the way people figure to make a living not working these days.

I’m just old and jaded I guess. Probably true...

brent stanley
01-04-2020, 7:44 PM
Nice planer Darcey, but what I would like to know is if anyone really knows how to properly pronounce the name?

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 7:50 PM
Yes mark,

I say what I say and generally mean it. I do however understand how it comes off online and trust those with half a brain will read between the lines and know there’s is plenty I am not saying and that if I did maybe I wouldn’t seem like a such a jaded A-hole.

In my daily life I’m the first guy to say “thank god for the wealthy” as without them I’d be up poo poo creek without a paddle digging ditches as apposed to building stuff that although I’m far from enamored by I can feel ok about. There was a time when my skill did not align with desires and I was pretty much stuck doing the equivalent of digging ditches.

So you know thank god for this new generation and let’s just hope that at least a few of them continues to appreciate quality and hand made.

Look on the bright side Patrick, maybe that little kid will hire some old fart like you to make furniture for one of his mansions.:D

It's an absurd world!

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 8:20 PM
Nice planer Darcey, but what I would like to know is if anyone really knows how to properly pronounce the name?

I believe its Boy-air-ley.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 8:21 PM
Also,

Good long from one end of the earth today regarding this T23 I want to purchase I stumbled upon the exact machine I’m looking to purchase but at a auction I know know to be the auction the seller purchased it at.

I spited two things speaking of euro equipment.

One being the link below. Man what I would do to have purchased this little gem. Then a Martin T75 same vintage as mine but with a much bigger cast table. Wrecks my head I never see this stuff. Guess I best start keeping a pile o cash in the bank get myself a trailer for the new van and start stalking out auctions.

https://industrialbid.com/m/lot-details/index/catalog/4920/lot/912021/Frommia-Maschinemfabrik-model-700-s/n1177-(year-1960)-Routing-Table?uact=5&aid=4920&lid=912020&current_page=0

The Bauerle SMF-2 is the finest shaper I have seen. I have one that I will eventually get around to rebuilding.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 8:24 PM
Good on the child labour there Darcy. Kathy Lee would be proud :) im kidding Nice you share your work with your kids they understand you that much more of how hard their father works

Ive had helpers from time to time. The last one would say well lf i come over what would I be doing? I finally said we'll have a few beers, smoke a doob and play video games. One day a friend brought a friend and said he likes to keep busy if you ever need help. He was nearly 70. He used to call and ask if there was anything I needed done. He helped with lawn cutting and outside stuff and still always called and asked which was great. He wanted to keep moving as being retired he realized the value of not sitting in a lump. He would come over for 15 minutes to help me move a machine even. Sadly he went on holidays to play golf. (who plays golf or spoils a vacation with that :) ) He didnt feel well went to the bathroom and died instantly. Pretty sad. He was one of the nicest people you would meet.

In 130 plus auctions ive seen Baeurle stuff once in only one shop, an italian shop with maybe 50 employees and around for 50-80 years. It had sheets attached with maintenance records which spoke highly of their history there.

The gov thing its likely they ask and are told what the best is and since its our coin they go for the best,. likely one of the few things they actually do right.

I have personally seen 7 of their machines and have owned 4 of those 7. I would almost kill for one of their bandsaws.

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 9:21 PM
https://youtu.be/7R9sta1yg18

I told my kids the internet would be pissed because they didn't have helmets, face masks, and noise cancelling head phones on, but they said screw the internet. Lol.

This was a one take video, with me forgetting to engage the gearbox the first time. Lol.

They were super excited to be a part of it.

I could stand to do a little more adjusting, but its planing pretty nice.

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 9:29 PM
Wtf Darcy

That dog should have ever and ear protection..

What are you thinking jezus..

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 9:58 PM
Wtf Darcy

That dog should have ever and ear protection..

What are you thinking jezus..

The dog is lucky she has survived this long sometimes. She is only a year old, loves everyone to death, but has no spacial concept. Lol

David Kumm
01-04-2020, 10:28 PM
Interesting that the German machine is similar to English machines in using SA bearings. My experience ( way less than yours ) is that US machines had or believed they had better machining tolerances and used deep groove bearings until the distance between bearings got over 30" while the English machines were generally SA at least on one end. Porter jointers didn't use a SA until the 36" size.

I read your thread over at Practical Machinist about the feed clutch. Most of it was over my head but seems like a complicated way to get two speeds. I know my English machines favor complexity over simplicity. Hope you get the brake thing sorted out so the neutral engages. Is that the same on the HCH and can you use it for a pattern to replicate on the planer? Dave

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 11:07 PM
Darcy I just want to make clear I was joking about the dog. I was playing off your comment about your kids.

I spent the last couple years teaching my now 15 year old female cousin to use machines to a extent. I had her safely using a chop saw. Made a few cuts on the slider after everything was properly secured and would feed or catch on the planer and wide belt. No big deal as she should been able to do that all on her own after proper instruction but she is not my kid to take chances with so..

It’s amazing how much kids love this stuff.

Had what I consider to have been or is becoming a internet friend contact me via email thinking I was serious about the dog.

Couldn’t get my pup,in the shop to save his life. He is scared crap of loud noises.

secured
The dog is lucky she has survived this long sometimes. She is only a year old, loves everyone to death, but has no spacial concept. Lol

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 11:13 PM
Interesting that the German machine is similar to English machines in using SA bearings. My experience ( way less than yours ) is that US machines had or believed they had better machining tolerances and used deep groove bearings until the distance between bearings got over 30" while the English machines were generally SA at least on one end. Porter jointers didn't use a SA until the 36" size.

I read your thread over at Practical Machinist about the feed clutch. Most of it was over my head but seems like a complicated way to get two speeds. I know my English machines favor complexity over simplicity. Hope you get the brake thing sorted out so the neutral engages. Is that the same on the HCH and can you use it for a pattern to replicate on the planer? Dave

The HCH is driven by a motor with what I believe to be some sort of VS mechanism in the gearbox. I actually stuck a light and my phone in there and figured out the gearbox manufacturer. It was Stober, I called them. US headquarters is in KY. I confirmed they were pretty sure they made all the gearboxes for bauerle, but after that good luck. I did find a guy with that part intact. I am going to leave it up to my customer, what we do. Probably last longer with the right part.

Outside chance Bauerle may have the part, but all of germany has been closed for 3 weeks. Grrrrr

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 11:15 PM
Darcy I just want to make clear I was joking about the dog. I was playing off your comment about your kids.

I spent the last couple years teaching my now 15 year old female cousin to use machines to a extent. I had her safely using a chop saw. Made a few cuts on the slider after everything was properly secured and would feed or catch on the planer and wide belt. No big deal as she should been able to do that all on her own after proper instruction but she is not my kid to take chances with so..

It’s amazing how much kids love this stuff.

Had what I consider to have been or is becoming a internet friend contact me via email thinking I was serious about the dog.

Couldn’t get my pup,in the shop to save his life. He is scared crap of loud noises.

secured

Olive goes with me everywhere. She is super sweet, but she loves to come get in your face or lean on you whenever you are trying to do something important. My wife does the same thing, she's actually doing it right now. Lol.

Patrick Walsh
01-04-2020, 11:28 PM
I have a 15 year old cousin that’s enamored by me “no idea why” she does the same thing to me. It’s annoying as hell.

I can only take it for so long.

I like my space, people and dogs must respect this truth.

I do love dogs more than people though bar none..

You can always count on a dog, people not so much.

Olive goes with me everywhere. She is super sweet, but she loves to come get in your face or lean on you whenever you are trying to do something important. My wife does the same thing, she's actually doing it right now. Lol.

David Kumm
01-04-2020, 11:43 PM
I wonder if the change to the feed system was due to eliminating a problem or cost cutting. The HCH is about 10 years newer. My experience is that about every ten years, manufacturers figure out ways to make the machine a little cheaper. Sometimes it turns out better, sometimes adjustment gets harder to make and machines need more of them. Dave

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 11:58 PM
I wonder if the change to the feed system was due to eliminating a problem or cost cutting. The HCH is about 10 years newer. My experience is that about every ten years, manufacturers figure out ways to make the machine a little cheaper. Sometimes it turns out better, sometimes adjustment gets harder to make and machines need more of them. Dave

Its 25 years newer. This planer was built in 1960.

David Kumm
01-05-2020, 12:08 AM
Its 25 years newer. This planer was built in 1960.

Everything is 15 years older than I remember. Dave

peter gagliardi
01-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Seems everything Baurele made is well thought out and robust as well as having great lines.
2 things on this planer that are surprising- the solid infeed roll is less than optimal for a 30" machine, and the 4 speed feed.
I would expect this machine to have segmented feed roll, and variable speed feed.
The variable feed might not have been used, due to the idea that it is not as durable as gear driven selectable speeds, but the solid infeed is just strange, unless ordered as such.

I have seen only one of their bandsaws in person, at an auction some years back- interesting design for sure.

Patrick Walsh
01-05-2020, 10:59 AM
Peter,

Two 72” camelbacks local to me on Craigslist if you are interested,

You know the old tool lover in me wants one or both but I’m not gonna buy them do might as well point them out.

Asking $600 each one is Brown and Sharp other I dint remember..

peter gagliardi
01-05-2020, 11:10 AM
Patrick, I did see those, and that was what I was referring to. I looked for one, for years, then I just got on with life.
For me, I realized they were more nice, than necessary...

Darcy Warner
01-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Seems everything Baurele made is well thought out and robust as well as having great lines.
2 things on this planer that are surprising- the solid infeed roll is less than optimal for a 30" machine, and the 4 speed feed.
I would expect this machine to have segmented feed roll, and variable speed feed.
The variable feed might not have been used, due to the idea that it is not as durable as gear driven selectable speeds, but the solid infeed is just strange, unless ordered as such.

I have seen only one of their bandsaws in person, at an auction some years back- interesting design for sure.

I have seen both kinds of feed rolls, but these machines are typically designed an used as finish planers. The couple late model kolles I had were solid infeed and a 4 speed gear box. The HCH I had was the only one I have seen with a VS gearbox.

Buss ran 2 and 4 speed motors for feed along with a Reeves drive option.

Feed speeds are 23, 29, 46 and 59 feet a minute.

Walter Phelps
02-17-2020, 6:15 PM
Hello to all. This is my first post.
I have the same Baurle planer and have run it for almost 35 years. There used to be a gentleman in Claremont NH named Henry Wiegand who imported many German machines, mostly Hempel automatic lathes. I bought my planer used through him. Much of the Bauerle equipment in the Northeast was 550 volts, as it was imported by Chas. Gentmantel in Montreal for the Canadian market. Bauerle was later taken over by Okoma, another German company, so some later machines can bear either name.
I originally found the Bauerle planer unusual by US standards, as it had a spring weighted pressure bar and no provision for jointing or grinding. The German craftsmen I bought it from were incredulous at the concept of jointing (actually dulling the knives!).The idea of grinding the knives in the head equally horrified them. Turns out they were right about everything. The pressure bar has never needed adjustment in 35 years, and the quick change knife set-up allows for grinding the knives in a wet grinder, not in the planer where you would scatter abrasives particles all over and burn the knives.
I'm sure I have the manual somewhere if you ever need it copied.

Mark Hennebury
02-17-2020, 6:59 PM
Walter, "the biggest little sash shop" Phelps. It's been a long time, how are you doing? Do you still have the supersurfacers? Yes the grinding knives in the machine does kind of seem just plain wrong for sure.

Hello to all. This is my first post.
I have the same Baurle planer and have run it for almost 35 years. There used to be a gentleman in Claremont NH named Henry Wiegand who imported many German machines, mostly Hempel automatic lathes. I bought my planer used through him. Much of the Bauerle equipment in the Northeast was 550 volts, as it was imported by Chas. Gentmantel in Montreal for the Canadian market. Bauerle was later taken over by Okoma, another German company, so some later machines can bear either name.
I originally found the Bauerle planer unusual by US standards, as it had a spring weighted pressure bar and no provision for jointing or grinding. The German craftsmen I bought it from were incredulous at the concept of jointing (actually dulling the knives!).The idea of grinding the knives in the head equally horrified them. Turns out they were right about everything. The pressure bar has never needed adjustment in 35 years, and the quick change knife set-up allows for grinding the knives in a wet grinder, not in the planer where you would scatter abrasives particles all over and burn the knives.
I'm sure I have the manual somewhere if you ever need it copied.

Darcy Warner
02-17-2020, 7:44 PM
Spring loaded knives with their setting gauge is pretty slick.