PDA

View Full Version : Mentoring Program on Sawmill Creek

Dave Tinley
12-20-2005, 9:13 AM
I posted this response under another topic and the idea recieved favorable responses so I am, as requested, starting a new thread to reach a larger audience-

"Reading this and some other similar posts has me wondering if we couldn't start a mentoring program??
Maybe a perminant post or sticky where some of the more experienced woodworkers could post their location, shop experience, etc and others that are looking for some in person guidence could contact a person nearby for some one on one. It could be at either shop.
What do y'all think??"

Dave

Robert Mayer
12-20-2005, 9:25 AM
I would definitely be down for this. The only place I have to learn from here in tulsa is Woodcraft. But they charge a few bucks for a class that may or may not help me. Plus their selection of classes is terrible.

tod evans
12-20-2005, 9:38 AM
ya`ll are welcome here in the sticks. tod

Steve Jenkins
12-20-2005, 9:47 AM
As I've said many times "my door is always open"

Tyler Howell
12-20-2005, 9:58 AM
Can't say enough about the creeker visits I made. Just asking questions and seeing lay out was a great help.
TJH

Earl Kelly
12-20-2005, 10:05 AM
I would be glad to give some time to others. My shops not that big and almost always a mess. My specialty is veneering and spray finishing.

David Duke
12-20-2005, 10:05 AM
I'll always interested in visiting others shops and them visiting mine to swap ideas or just visit, its always nice to put a face to a name.

Robert Mayer
12-20-2005, 10:08 AM
My only specialty is stabbing myself with chisels repeatedly.:)

Dan Larson
12-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Dave, this is a great idea-- count me in!

Robert, too bad you don't live closer to WI. We could swap chisel self-mutilation techniques. I'm quite an authority in this area of woodworking...

Dan

Steve Wargo
12-20-2005, 10:13 AM
I'm always up for Creeker Visits, and welcome everyone to my small, humble, and always busy shop.

Dennis Peacock
12-20-2005, 10:19 AM

ROFL!!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: Never done that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :D

Dennis Peacock
12-20-2005, 10:23 AM
As I have told many.....Ya'll are welcome at my shop any ol' time. Just let me know when you'll be arriving so I can put the anti-theft weapons away before you arrive. :eek: :D

To me? I'm not posting ALL my personal information in a "sticky". Leaves doors open for too much meanness. If anyone is interested, they can PM me and I'll be more than happy to provide address, directions, phone numbers and such. I'll even offer a home-cooked meal and a chair to relax in. But I've already been a victim of identity theft.......so I'm REAL cautious any more.:D

tod evans
12-20-2005, 10:34 AM
ain`t quit yet! but i have learned not to bleed on the wood:)

Zahid Naqvi
12-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Can't say this for others but Dennis is already doing it. He's the mother goose of newbie woodworkers in the central Arkansas region. I think if you have WW'ers in your neighbourhood, just ask, you will be surprised how open and willing to mentor most WW'ers are.
Early this year I took a class at a local arts center, and within a couple of weeks I had been offered shop visits, free epoxy, free backed birds eye maple veneer and some such things. None of the guys in the class were known to me before I joined the class. I think hobbyists are just so happy that someone takes interest in their hobby. There is also an element of preserving a traditional craft and passing it on.

Hank Knight
12-20-2005, 11:05 AM
My shop is always open to any creeker who happens to be in the neighborhood. Just PM me first and let me know when to expect you. I don't know how effective I'd be as a mentor, but conversation, comments and advice is free for the asking.

Cecil Arnold
12-20-2005, 11:11 AM
I don't know much but would be happy to share anything I know with anyone in the area, just PM for directions and contact info. I agree with Dennis, having had a few close calls on ID theft, etc.

John Miliunas
12-20-2005, 11:14 AM
My shop is and always has been open to fellow Creekers! :) I'm afraid I don't have much to offer in terms of "mentoring" but, what little knowledge, advice or opinions I do posses are free for the taking!:D :cool:

Frank Pellow
12-20-2005, 11:19 AM
My shop is always open to any creeker who happens to be in the neighborhood. Just PM me first and let me know when to expect you. I don't know how effective I'd be as a mentor, but conversation, comments and advice is free for the asking.
What Hank said, applies to me as well.

Tyler Howell
12-20-2005, 11:21 AM
I'm very good at shopping and gloating. I'd be glad to assist in that if I can.:p

Mark Singer
12-20-2005, 11:32 AM
My shop is and always has been open to fellow Creekers! I'm afraid I don't have much to offer in terms of "mentoring" but, what little knowledge, advice or opinions I do posses are free for the taking!

My shop is always open...some have come and stayed in the Guest House ...I had to pick up and drop off at the airport:eek: went to parties ..tried to screw up my doors with a router.:eek: ..visited beaches ...here in Laguna:eek: and didn't really teach me any woodworking:rolleyes:

Others just come for Cappacino..(Rob Blaustein) and are freindly:rolleyes: Still don't teach me much

Some come with their beautiful families and go to dinner (Roy wall):rolleyes:

Some just come for dinner and bring all their fingers (Matt Mieser)

Some are expensive dates and want dinner and a movie...(Jim Becker):rolleyes:

Some just to buy my tools..(Dan Stuewe):rolleyes:

Some come as architects too look at the house (Corvin Alstot):rolleyes:

Where are the woodworkers in the Creek:confused:

Dan Oliphant
12-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Haven't noticed too many folks from the high desert posting lately, but my shop will be open to anyone who asks. As others have stated, PM's will work, I will not post personal data in a thread.

John Miliunas
12-20-2005, 11:37 AM
My shop is always open...some have come and stayed in the Guest House ...I had to pick up and drop off at the airport:eek: went to parties ..tried to screw up my doors with a router.:eek: ..visited beaches ...here in Laguna:eek: and didn't really teach me any woodworking:rolleyes:

:( :o Yeah, I could tell the guy was happier than a pig in a mudhole to get rid of me, too!:( Hey, but it was fun and, at least, I learned a lot!:D :cool:

jerry cousins
12-20-2005, 11:40 AM
put me down for the far northern part of ca - up in the national forest near the oregon border - if you're coming this way send me an email. always wanting to learn and willing to share.

jerry

Don Baer
12-20-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm always up for a visit and if I can use my limited knowledge to help a fellow creeker I am only to happy to do so. Just PM me.

Kelly C. Hanna
12-20-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't know what kind of help I could give anyone here, but my little shop is always open to any Creeker's visit! We'll toss some goodies in the smoker and have a BBQ. Heck, the shop's even heated now (small propane heater).

I really enjoy seeing other people's shops...been to Steve's in Dallas and Brian's in Forney. I learn a ton everytime I visit one and look forward to many more!!

Count me in and a very good idea!!!

Matt Meiser
12-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Some just come for dinner and bring all their fingers (Matt Mieser)

I resemble that remark :D

For those that haven't had a chance to spend some time with a more experienced woodworker--you can really learn a lot as I did when I visited Mark. For example, getting to try out some of his tools gave me a great basis for how to expect a well tuned saw or plane to work.

You can also learn a lot by hosting someone else in your shop. I had a group of members of our local club visit my shop and got a lot of tips on things that could help me out in my own shop. I'd be happy to host others almost any time.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
12-20-2005, 11:54 AM
Well the next time any of you are in Tokyo, swing by for the nickel tour of the Dungeon, I always have some cold beer around here too (not to mention about 5000 bottles of wine!:D)

Cheers!

Lee DeRaud
12-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Dunno how well I'd do as a woodworking mentor: "Ok, the next step is to use epoxy to fill in that big divot I just made...":eek:

But folks are welcome to drop in for a laser demo...PM first, of course.

Jerry Palmer
12-20-2005, 12:03 PM
ROFL!!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes: Never done that. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p :D

Never stuck yourself with a chisel? Man, you ain't lived yet. Years of working with tailed tools and hardly a scratch. Then to get stuck with the simplest of all tools.:mad:

John Bailey
12-20-2005, 12:04 PM
I don't know much about woodworking. My shop is not close to being done. My shop has been devised with some questionable, some would say foolish, design features. My tools are mostly cheap, old and not in very good shape. What I have a genius for is sitting and contemplating in, and about, my shop along with listening to a decent stereo. Anybody needs lessons in that, I'll give them free - bring your own chair. PM me!

John

Mark Singer
12-20-2005, 12:04 PM
Well the next time any of you are in Tokyo, swing by for the nickel tour of the Dungeon, I always have some cold beer around here too (not to mention about 5000 bottles of wine!:D)

Cheers!

Stu..your in Tokyo Japan? I thought that was your full name..:rolleyes:

Tom Stovell
12-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Dave, this is a great idea-- count me in!

Robert, too bad you don't live closer to WI. We could swap chisel self-mutilation techniques. I'm quite an authority in this area of woodworking...

Dan

Maybe we could all meet in a central location and check out the scars left by errant chisels. (I've posted this before but I took 9 stitches across my big toe in a chisel/alcohol-related incident).

With that in mind, I'd be more than happy to open my SW Ohio shop to anyone brave enough to step inside. :)

Tom

Steve Clardy
12-20-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm open. Great idea.
I specialize in Kitchen cabinets and staircases.

Rob Bourgeois
12-20-2005, 12:26 PM
I am open too...except we would have to clean the shop to find any tools or you might want to bring your own( and forget them here;) ).

Maybe I should go visit instead of have people here. I am planning on visiting Dennis in Arkie some time in Jan or Feb.

Keith Outten
12-20-2005, 12:28 PM
Since I am the keeper of the Woodworkers who own laser engraving machines list I guess I could add another list to my list of lists :)

Anyone who is interested in being a Mentor send me an email and include any spcial skills you posses. I will create a list of Mentors, State and City and include your special skills. The list will be linked to your PM box, please do not include email addresses or phone numbers, we don't provide any personal information on any of our Members here at SMC...EVER.

Who is first?

Send your information to me at the following address;

keith(at)sawmuillcreek(dot)org

Mark Singer
12-20-2005, 12:33 PM
For all the Creekers that visited including one Wisconsin Creeker,,,,John,
I truly enjoyed visiting and sharing and wish we would have done more woodworking! You guys are the best!!!

Tom Hamilton
12-20-2005, 12:51 PM
What a great idea!

Keith, please confirm you email address:

Thanks, Tom

Admin Edit;
Tom: I edited my email link to keep the data miners from storming my email box. You are right though, send me an email and I will place you on the new list.
Keith Outten

David Wilson
12-20-2005, 12:58 PM
My shop is alyways open to visitors. I used to teach electronics and firearms safety so mentoring the best techniques for making sawdust will be easy.

Roger Fitzsimonds
12-20-2005, 2:15 PM
My shop is open just pm me when you are coming out. I can atleast show how not todo some things. I see there has been several atlanta area woodworkers around.

Roger

Jim Becker
12-20-2005, 2:20 PM
Most of my "Creeker Visits", either me visiting or me getting visited, are more social occasions. But I'm all for the mentoring side of things, including colaboration. (For example, when one woodworker turns, but the other doesn't and the project calls for both flat and "round" work) Mentoring is almost critical for turning and certainly is a wonderful way to share in flat work, especially for hand-tool skills and techniques as well as contruction methodogies for almost any kind of project.

Paul Canaris
12-20-2005, 2:28 PM
I'm located in Waco Texas, my door is always open (except when I'm not there, then it's locked).:rolleyes:

Mark Singer
12-20-2005, 3:43 PM
Most of my "Creeker Visits", either me visiting or me getting visited, are more social occasions. But I'm all for the mentoring side of things, including colaboration. (For example, when one woodworker turns, but the other doesn't and the project calls for both flat and "round" work) Mentoring is almost critical for turning and certainly is a wonderful way to share in flat work, especially for hand-tool skills and techniques as well as contruction methodogies for almost any kind of project.

That was my point...social..food...movies...woodworking ..ah we can always do that:confused:

Dave Avery
12-20-2005, 3:49 PM
What a cool concept......... while I'm sure I'd be a net importer of other people's talent, I have done quite a bit of vacuum veneer work and I'm willing to share what I know with those close enough to want to drive over. PM me if you're interested (and OK with a disorganized shop and a house with 4, 6, and 14 year-old children). All the best, Dave.

Dave Avery
12-20-2005, 3:54 PM

Cheers!

Wow.....5,000 bottles. I have 10% of that and still think I spend too much money on wine. Call me jealous. One of the partners in the JV for which I'm CFO is located in Tokyo. They keep tyring to get me to come for a visit. Now I have a good reason to say yes. :D All the best. Dave.

Robert Mayer
12-20-2005, 4:06 PM
I currently have 2 bottles of wine and dont expect them to survive the weekend. So if you want any you better come over tonight...

is this the drunk smily??: :o

Vaughn McMillan
12-20-2005, 5:03 PM
My crowded, cluttered, (but carpeted) garage is open for visits if we can arrange a mutually workable time. I'm probably most useful as an example of what NOT to do, but I'm willing to share what I know and always open to learning new stuff. PM me if you're in the Burbank/Glendale/Pasadena area and want to drop by. I'm about 15 minutes away from any of those cities, up in the foothills on the edge of the National Forest.

And Stu, if I ever get the opportunity to visit my business aassociates in Tokyo, rest assured I'll be looking you up.

- Vaughn

Dave Anderson NH
12-20-2005, 5:08 PM
My shop IS and always has been open to Creekers who want to learn a bit, visit, or just relax. I truly enjoy having folks drop by. If you are disposed to the Neanderthal Way or would like to become so, just email me, PM me, or give a public shout here on the Creek. My specialty is making hand tools and doing Queen Anne furniture with mostly hand tools. There's always wine, beer, soda, juices, or a cupa coffee or tea and if you drop by on a cold day between november and April there'll be a fire going in the wood stove in the bench room of the shop.

Karl Laustrup
12-20-2005, 5:15 PM
My shop is and always has been open to fellow Creekers! :) I'm afraid I don't have much to offer in terms of "mentoring" but, what little knowledge, advice or opinions I do posses are free for the taking!:D :cool:

I haven't had much chance to meet and greet other 'Creekers', even though there are at least a half dozen within a couple hours drive, but I have had the extreme pleasure to visit with Spring [John Miliunas] on several occasions.

A more gracious person would be hard to find. :) His knowledge, advice and opinions have been very valuable to this rookie woodworker. :o :)

This is a great idea and I look forward to visiting and being visited by fellow 'Creekers'. :)

Karl

scott bonder
12-20-2005, 5:46 PM
the kids ain't crying and the wife lets me in the shop. of course, visitors often result in shop time, so yes, i am in. (i make no representation about skill however)

Alan Turner
12-21-2005, 5:58 AM
I just noticed this thread (boy it grew quickly), but as some of you know, my big shop and home shop are always open, and visitors are welcome. I am both a hand tools guy, as well as a power tool (old iron) guy, and build in most any style, but prefer the 18th Century details. Just ping me any old way. I am at the new shop most weekends slogging through a 10 bench project, which seems like it will take just about forever, even with heavy iron behing the effort. Oh well, anyone want to do a bit of heavy lifting? Next up is cutting 40 double wedged tenons, 80 wedges, and then 40 bridle joints, and then 40 shallow mortises, and then 20 stretchers with tenons and draw bolts, and the list just keeps going.

Keith Outten
12-21-2005, 10:19 AM
I have received about six or eight emails with requests to be added to the new Woodworking Mentor List. I should have the first list online tonight so step up folks and email me your information for the new list.

keith(at)sawmillcreek(dot)org

Howard Rosenberg
12-21-2005, 10:54 AM
MDF and Milk Paint.

If that's of any interest, I'd be happy to help out.

I'm in an unheated garage in Toronto, so I decommission the shop mid-to-late October and start up late March.

Howard

Andy Hoyt
12-21-2005, 11:08 AM
I specialize in the manufacture of high end scrap wood, saw dust, and exploded bowl pieces.

Also have a sub-specialty in timberframed architectural models and dollhouses.

Would love to help the needy and interested, and especially if they can bring a new skill to me in trade.

Shop is heated, well lit, plumbed, lunch is catered everyday at 1 PM by craft services, and the parade in our backyard by the turkeys begins promptly at 4:17 PM. Top hat and tails are optional.