PDA

View Full Version : Vacupress Vacuum Pump Review

Stewart Lang
01-03-2020, 1:39 PM
Not sure if this is the spot, but just wanted to share my experience with Vacupress.

This was my first vacuum pump, and my jumping point into vacuum pressing. I'd had no experience prior. I purchased the Compact 300 vacuum pump, along with a 4'x8' bag. The vacuum pump works great! I honestly don't have anything to compare it to as far as comparable vacuum pumps, but it definitely feels like the "Festool" of vacuum pumps. User friendly, solidly built, and reliable. Also looks pretty cool I think. It's very simple to run. One switch, which you pretty much just turn to "auto" 99% of the time and it monitors the vacuum inside the bag and keeps it consistent. Turns on every once in a while for a few seconds to maintain the vacuum. It's also much quieter than I thought it'd be. You can pretty much have a conversation with someone while it's running quietly 5 feet from you.

The green case did arrive with some shipping damage (internals were fine), so I sent an email to Peter along with some pictures and the next day he had a replacement cover shipped out. Excellent customer service and Peter is very helpful!

The 4'x8' bag is nice as well. It's already got two ports at each end for the vacuum pump hose. You just push the hose in and turn on the pump, super simple. It is vinyl and I almost have a feeling I'll end up buying the poly bag in the future. I hear it's much more durable and flexible, although the vinyl bag should last a while as long as I take care of it. The closure is simple and secure.

Between the pump and the bag, it's pretty much just a plug-and-play setup. Altogether I feel it was the right purchase to make the learning curve into vacuum pressing much less steep.

Mike Henderson
01-03-2020, 2:20 PM
Thanks for your review. It sounds like a nice product supported by a good company.

I'll just comment, however, that there are less expensive options out there, especially the pump kit you can purchase from Joe Woodworker (for those looking for a less expensive entry to vacuum pressing).

Mike

Cristobal Figueroa
01-03-2020, 3:28 PM
Great to hear you are pleased with your purchase. I am considering buying a poly bag from vacupress. I built a pump using a rebuilt pump from the joe woodworker but my use has been limited to clamping at the moment. I would encourage you to check out some of the diy clamp info/kits if you haven’t. It’s been pretty useful thus far, and another way to utilize your purchase. I would like to try a simple veneering project since I built a pump but I have zero experience with veneer so I have been putting it off because I am not sure what would be a good starter project.

Mike Henderson
01-03-2020, 8:57 PM
Great to hear you are pleased with your purchase. I am considering buying a poly bag from vacupress. I built a pump using a rebuilt pump from the joe woodworker but my use has been limited to clamping at the moment. I would encourage you to check out some of the diy clamp info/kits if you haven’t. It’s been pretty useful thus far, and another way to utilize your purchase. I would like to try a simple veneering project since I built a pump but I have zero experience with veneer so I have been putting it off because I am not sure what would be a good starter project.

I realize this is off topic, but do some student veneer panels before you tackle fine work. I have some tutorials on my website (check my profile for the URL).

Mike