PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas on storage for TS sleds

Brian Tymchak
01-02-2020, 7:45 PM
Was looking at the growing pile of sleds in the corner of my shop that I use for various cutting tasks on the table saw. I have 4 now, 2 of which are built for specific recurring tasks. And I think I'll be adding another soon, dedicated for yet another specific task. I also have a sled for the planer, so I will soon have 6 to deal with.

All of these sleds are built using mdf, so it seems like I should at least get these off the concrete floor, but I was drawing a blank on how to store them. :confused: I don't have a lot of wall space to hang them.

So, anyone on the Creek have thoughts or solutions they've come up with?

Appreciate your insight on this!

Thanks.

ChrisA Edwards
01-02-2020, 8:14 PM
This will not help you with 4 sleds, but here's where I keep mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv797hVFW88

Pat Barry
01-02-2020, 8:36 PM
Good question. I've got 4 of them and they are always in the way.

Jeff Caulk
01-02-2020, 11:19 PM
Several good YouTube vids.

One has wall storage, another made a cabinet with sleds stacked in slide outs like drawers.

Brian Tymchak
01-03-2020, 10:44 AM
Several good YouTube vids.

One has wall storage, another made a cabinet with sleds stacked in slide outs like drawers.

Thanks Jeff for the cabinet idea. Do you have a link to that video?

Brian Tymchak
01-03-2020, 10:45 AM
Love that cabinet Chris. I also need to build some saw storage and I really like the slide out panels.

Tom Bender
01-04-2020, 8:45 AM
If you have them on the floor then you have already dedicated some floor space to them. If you can make them stackable it might help. Or make a mobile shelf rack to store them and other stuff on, up to the ceiling.

My only sled is dirt simple and I clamp fixtures to it for different needs. It weighs 2 pounds so I can set it with a beverage in the other hand.

Those two holes were for hanging it on a couple of nails but now it just stands under the saw.

Luan, Basswood and an Oak runner.

Al Launier
01-04-2020, 9:13 AM
If your shop has exposed floor joists, have you considered hanging them flat from the joists using either metal straps or a skeletal wooden frame attached to the joists?

Brian Tymchak
01-04-2020, 10:25 AM
If your shop has exposed floor joists, have you considered hanging them flat from the joists using either metal straps or a skeletal wooden frame attached to the joists?

Hi Al, I have finished ceilings in my basement, but I had not considered hanging them somehow. Thanks for the thought.

Brian Tymchak
01-04-2020, 10:43 AM
If you have them on the floor then you have already dedicated some floor space to them. If you can make them stackable it might help. Or make a mobile shelf rack to store them and other stuff on, up to the ceiling.

My only sled is dirt simple and I clamp fixtures to it for different needs. It weighs 2 pounds so I can set it with a beverage in the other hand.

Those two holes were for hanging it on a couple of nails but now it just stands under the saw.

Luan, Basswood and an Oak runner.

Hi Tom, ok, you have provided some food for thought this morning. Along with Jeff's suggestion of stacking in a cabinet. I don't have enough floor space for a full depth cabinet behind the jointer where I currently collected the sleds. But I'm thinking maybe a short depth cabinet where the sleds are stored on an incline of sorts that would allow some stacking from floor to ceiling... Hmm. The wheels are turning...

Thanks!

johnny means
01-04-2020, 2:47 PM
Of course, the first question should be whether or not you should be keeping them all. A jig that gets used once a year and is easily fabricated might not be worth keeping. Are their any redundancies, can any of them be consolidated?

Brian Tymchak
01-04-2020, 9:03 PM
Of course, the first question should be whether or not you should be keeping them all. A jig that gets used once a year and is easily fabricated might not be worth keeping. Are their any redundancies, can any of them be consolidated?

I can't think of any way to consolidate. I use the dedicated sleds several times a year to produce parts that need to be consistent from run to run.

Carroll Courtney
01-05-2020, 4:43 PM
I drill 1" holes in top corners in sled then install two 4" long dowel rods into wall space same distance as the hole in sled.Keeps it nice and flat,then I have a small shelve for my glue bottles etc