PDA

View Full Version : Working on some semi pulpyAspen

Ken Schleman
01-01-2020, 10:35 AM
Wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to how to deal with some semi- pulpy Aspen, normally I would put it in the wood burner but this piece had very nice markings and I would like to save it.

Steve Eure
01-01-2020, 11:41 AM
Minwax Wood Hardener. I have used this on occasion to treat punky wood. Works pretty good, but a bit pricey.
https://www.minwax.com/wood-products/maintenance-repair/minwax-high-performance-wood-hardener

John K Jordan
01-01-2020, 3:22 PM
Wondering if anyone has a suggestion as to how to deal with some semi- pulpy Aspen, normally I would put it in the wood burner but this piece had very nice markings and I would like to save it.

There was a recent thread turning punky wood. A couple of methods:
Multiple coats of sanding sealer, dry between coats, reapply as needed as turning proceeds if necessary.
Thin CA glue as stabilizer, applied sparingly, reapplied as needed.

Eugene Dixon
01-01-2020, 5:28 PM
Apply Titebond. Sand while it is drying. Rub the dust into the porous parts while sanding. Let it harden, shape. and finish sand.

Ron Borowicz
01-02-2020, 7:41 AM
Laquer + Laquer Thinner, mix 50/50, re-apply as needed. Works well.

robert baccus
01-03-2020, 2:21 PM
Aspen can be turned easily with the above advice. Also I dry the stuff in the log for a long time--being a very soft weak wood it will hardly crack when slowly air dried with the bark on. Makes great bowls and vases.

Ken Schleman
01-04-2020, 3:37 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I think with the help ill be able to save several pieces.