PDA

View Full Version : Who are the large bowl blank suppliers?

Mike Glaze
12-19-2005, 11:58 PM
Who are the suppliers that stock the larger wood turning blanks? Most suppliers have the smaller stuff, so I have to ask. What sizes of seasoned wood blanks do you wish you guy's could find to buy?

Thanks

Mike

Ernie Nyvall
12-20-2005, 5:44 AM
Welcome Mike. So far everything I have has come from trees I cut down or cut up myself with the exception of a couple of trades with other Creekers. I watch for new construction where they are clearing an area. Just recently I cleaned up a yard from storm damage and got a tree. Get in touch with some tree trimmers in your area and see what they are taking down. Course you gotta have a chainsaw.

Hope this helps.

Ernie

John Hart
12-20-2005, 7:37 AM
To add something to Ernie's suggestion...Here's something that I found in my area. All the tree services have trouble getting rid of the trees they cut down and they all have their favorite dumping ground. For me, there's a little place near here that 4 or 5 of the services dump their stuff and the owner of the property allows folks to come and cut it up for firewood. He threw a log splitter out there for everyone to use and all you have to do is bring a chainsaw and take what you want. When I want a big blank of cherry...that's where I go.

You could look up Tree Services in the yellow pages and just ask them where they dump it.

tod evans
12-20-2005, 8:44 AM
stihl,husqvarna,homelight,etc......02 tod

Carole Valentine
12-20-2005, 8:59 AM
Buy??? Surely you jest!:D The only thing I buy is an exotic now and then like a piece of Blackwood for collars or finials. The wonderful thing about turning is that wood can generally be had for free (after the initial investemnt in a good chain saw)

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2005, 9:58 AM
Problem is I have the chainsaw but you have to have the trees or wood first. I am like Mike. Out here on the plains of Kansas we do get an occasional walnut tree go down but they are far and few between. Most of the wood we have around here is what we call chinese elm, locust, a few hackberry trees, cottonwood (lots of it) and ash. So if I want maple, cherry, birch, poplar, oak, etc. we have to find a place to buy it. The one and only lumber yard here in town won't stock that type wood cause he says he can't sell enough to keep it around. He will special order it but I can buy it cheaper on line even with shipping for what he charges. I contacted our tree service in town here and have gotten some locust from him but he says about 80 to 85 percent of the trees he takes down are chinese elm or cottonwood. I buy my flat lumber from a company that gives me pretty good prices but have to drive 3 hours one way to pick it up.

So if you know of a company or a place a guy could buy or order some turning wood I would definately be interested to know. Thanks.

John Hart
12-20-2005, 10:07 AM
I like to help people with special needs Bernie.;) Plus, I was born in Kansas so I understand. :) You just have to deal with the fact that I am Shipping-Challenged (I have trouble making it to the Post Office)

Scott Loven
12-20-2005, 10:23 AM
(from rec.woodworking)
JOHNSON WOOD PRODUCTS
ROUTE NO. 1
STRAWBERRY POINT, IOWA 52076
563-933-6504 or if no answer call 933-4930

Easy to do business with and very personable. Talk to Randy.

I had the pleasure of stopping by this place on the way back from Oklahoma
City on business back in 1990. Randy came out to meet me as I drove up
and proceeded to ask if I wanted a tour of the farm.

Their operation was started years ago by Randy's father who I met at the
30" bandsaw cutting out gunstock blanks. He took me though the house
and showed me their Amana furniture; 5/4 walnut dining table with hand
carved legs with chairs to match, a walnut tilting side table with pie
crust border, and a living room full of the same stuff - in a word
BEAUTIFUL. Then came the tour of the farm. They have ** 5 ** barns
stacked FULL of bowl and assorted blanks. The barns are designated as
green, almost dry, and dry. This mainly designates which product in which
barn is ready for the customer.
When the blanks are initially cut, they are thrown into what look to be
horse stalls 12 foot high with barn boards nailed to the opening 11 foot
high. They leave the green blanks to age in these stalls until they
are almost dry (I would guess 12-15% moisture content) then they are all
stacked nice and neat on the second floor of the barn to "bake" until
ready to be sold. THEY HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF BLANKS THERE.

Charlie Plesums
12-20-2005, 2:35 PM
...So if you know of a company or a place a guy could buy or order some turning wood I would definately be interested to know. Thanks.
I have bought some wood to cut into blanks from Mike Mastin, www.curlywoods.com (http://www.curlywoods.com) . The quality and price are both excellent, and Mike is a delight to work with. His small "lumberyard" sells only highly figured or exotic woods, and he ships all over.

I also bought some from Curtis Seebeck, who is selling blanks to fund an adoption at www.adoptwood.com (http://www.adoptwood.com) . His selection is limited, but the cause is good, and you set the price.

Jim Becker
12-20-2005, 3:24 PM
Other than exotics, I think you will find that most turners harvest and/or trade for larger stock, rather than buy it. There is so much usable material out there...you just need to look for it. In your backyard. Along the road. In the back of you local tree professional's truck...ask for it and give them work in exchange, especially for free wood. You will find that over time, they will start to call YOU when they get something "interesting" in their work that they know you will be interested in.

Mike Glaze
12-20-2005, 10:33 PM
(from rec.woodworking)
JOHNSON WOOD PRODUCTS
ROUTE NO. 1
STRAWBERRY POINT, IOWA 52076
563-933-6504 or if no answer call 933-4930

Easy to do business with and very personable. Talk to Randy.

I had the pleasure of stopping by this place on the way back from Oklahoma
City on business back in 1990. Randy came out to meet me as I drove up
and proceeded to ask if I wanted a tour of the farm.

Their operation was started years ago by Randy's father who I met at the
30" bandsaw cutting out gunstock blanks. He took me though the house
and showed me their Amana furniture; 5/4 walnut dining table with hand
carved legs with chairs to match, a walnut tilting side table with pie
crust border, and a living room full of the same stuff - in a word
BEAUTIFUL. Then came the tour of the farm. They have ** 5 ** barns
stacked FULL of bowl and assorted blanks. The barns are designated as
green, almost dry, and dry. This mainly designates which product in which
barn is ready for the customer.
When the blanks are initially cut, they are thrown into what look to be
horse stalls 12 foot high with barn boards nailed to the opening 11 foot
high. They leave the green blanks to age in these stalls until they
are almost dry (I would guess 12-15% moisture content) then they are all
stacked nice and neat on the second floor of the barn to "bake" until
ready to be sold. THEY HAVE LOTS AND LOTS OF BLANKS THERE.

Thanks for all the good posts above. I ask because it is nice to have stock on hand that you can let sit around for a few years until it is stable and ready to use. I would like to buy bowl blanks like flamed maple which does not grow in Utah, so I can not get this wood locally as an example.

I would also like to find a good source for quartersawn hard rock maple in plain and flamed wood for a variety of turned projects I have planed. This wood I will have to buy because it does not grow in Utah.

I do plan on getting a Stihl saw and a chainsaw mill also to start milling the local wood I can find.

Thanks

Mike

Keith Outten
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
Mike,

Keep this a secret...John Hart sells turning blanks and he has a Private Message box here at the Creek and a Manufacturers Forum as well.

Click here to go to John's Profile Page. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=4437)

Click here to go to John's Forum (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)

Andy Hoyt
12-21-2005, 12:11 AM
And when you don't call John Hart, be sure not to ask him for any Beech that he might have, because it's really horrible to turn, has lousy figure, and stinks up the shop like crazy. Ooops. Did I just type that out loud? There goes my secret private reserve!

Carole Valentine
12-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Problem is I have the chainsaw but you have to have the trees or wood first.

Didn't think about you guys living in the Plains! I guess getting wood there is a problem. I am waiting for a friend to take down a big cherry tree this winter. If the wood turns out to be decent I will send you some. Actually, I am starting to get low on wood myself since we did not have any big storms this year. Usually there is plenty of downed wood but not this year. (Not that I want a hurricane or anything!)

Earl Eyre
12-21-2005, 2:43 AM
I just checked the Handicraft sight and that looks like a terrific bargain but both the small and large boxes say "Not Available" or out of stock. Is that true? Thanks,
Earl

John Hart
12-21-2005, 6:20 AM
It's best to discuss it over there Earl....But the Bottom line is, After the first of the year, there'll be lots available. Just been busy on some other stuff.....turning into a woodchuck can really alter your schedule. :o

Ron Ainge
12-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Mike

I just found your posting and was amazed to here that you cannot find any large wood in Utah with flame colors in it. I don't know if you are aware of it or not but most of the flame colors in wood comes in trees in the maple family called Box Elder. I was originally from Utah and I have always known that there is a county in the north eastern part of Utah named Box Elder and I think that it was named after the tree. You could probably get any type of turning blank that you will ever need at the Craft Supply store in Provo. If you are not able to find what you want there you could contact Dan Bailey in Colorado at the following web address. I have met Dan several times and he will find you anything that you are interested in. http://www.roughoutbowls.com/ Good Luck.

Lloyd Stahl
12-22-2005, 10:31 AM
Have to "toot" my own horn since no one else will. I am a small supplier and relatively unknown, but I also have bowl blanks in woods that are not likely available on the Plains.

I frequently have small to large blanks (and occasional root burl slabs) of Honey Mesquite, spalted Pecan, Osage Orange (Bodark here in Texas), Sweet Acacia (or Texas "Huisache"), Chinese and American Elm, Black (or Texas?) Cherry, among others. Most are green to partially air-dried and cut in sectioned log and half-log pieces (rough cut), and with a base price of $2/lb.

Have a look at my website http://www.texaswoodcrafts.net/wood/ or give me a call at 281-392-5336.

Lloyd

Andy Hoyt
12-22-2005, 10:50 AM
Have to "toot" my own horn ... Lloyd

Lloyd - Tooting is what this place is all about! Toot early and toot often.

I'll be looking at your site soon. Thanks!

Mike Glaze
12-22-2005, 2:48 PM
Mike,

Keep this a secret...John Hart sells turning blanks and he has a Private Message box here at the Creek and a Manufacturers Forum as well.

Click here to go to John's Profile Page. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?u=4437)

Click here to go to John's Forum (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)

Thanks for telling me.

Mike

Mike Glaze
12-22-2005, 3:11 PM
Mike

I just found your posting and was amazed to here that you cannot find any large wood in Utah with flame colors in it. I don't know if you are aware of it or not but most of the flame colors in wood comes in trees in the maple family called Box Elder. I was originally from Utah and I have always known that there is a county in the north eastern part of Utah named Box Elder and I think that it was named after the tree. You could probably get any type of turning blank that you will ever need at the Craft Supply store in Provo. If you are not able to find what you want there you could contact Dan Bailey in Colorado at the following web address. I have met Dan several times and he will find you anything that you are interested in. http://www.roughoutbowls.com/ Good Luck.

Ron Ainge

Actually I'm not aware of the Box Elder family of trees having flamed wood. I will have study up on this one. I guess I spent too much time with the popular guitar making woods: Hard rock maple, alder, mahogany, ash, rosewood and similar woods. But I'm branching out to new things...

People have planted many types of trees here in their yards. My dad cut down a tree here in someone's yard and a wood turner stopped by to ask for a piece of the wood which my dad let him have. This wood turner called it Jinco/ginco(I'm not sure of the correct spelling) and he said it was one of the best woods for turning. I know he is right because my dad carved a chainsaw bear out of this wood which is in my house and it never cracked.

Mike

John Hart
12-22-2005, 3:38 PM
Mike...If you do a search here in the Turners Forum for "Box Elder" you'll find a treasure trove of flaming wood. The Box Elder is Acer same as Maple anyway so maybe that's where the confusion comes in

Ron Ainge
12-22-2005, 3:57 PM
Mike, I really like to turn Box Elder because it is soft enough that it turns very easy and it finishes as easy as it turns. Not all Box Elder has the red in it but if you get some that does you will love the coloration in the wood. The only problem with it for me is it appears that I am alergic to it. When I turn it I sneeze like crazy and then for days afterwards my body itches like crazy. I still like to make Christmas oenaments out of the wood if I can find some that has the right color to it. I mask up and pay the price.

John Hart
12-22-2005, 4:01 PM
That's interesting Ron. Do you react to Box elder that is not flamed? If not, then you are allergic to the fungus that causes the red coloration I guess. Way to go for stickin' with it!!! ;)

Ron Ainge
12-22-2005, 4:41 PM
John, when I finally figured out what was causine the itching I had been turning quite a bit of Box Elder and had my shop full of it's dust. I have never turned any without the color in it so I don't know if I would have a reaction to it. Box Elder is so plain without the color in it that if I turned it I would have to put some dye to it to give it something to bring it to life. I like to turn it but I only have a few small pieces left that are cut into pen blanks.