PDA

View Full Version : What are these lathe parts?

Brandon Cariveau
12-31-2019, 2:37 PM
I am about to take a lathe class, as the last time I used a lathe was in the late 80's and I don't want to kill myself. I got a real good deal on a Delta Double Duty lathe with a bunch of parts that I am trying to figure out what they are. I hope you all can help me. Also, not sure what Delta lathe it is besides Double Duty, but it has a DDL-10p headstock and a DDL-276 tailstock, if that helps.

DDL-32 (some strange plate contraption? Maybe goes in the banjos or goes with DDL-172?)

DDL-172 (perhaps some kind of clamp for a tool to the bed?)

DDL-201 (a spindle holder thing?)

DDL-231 (looks like a machining vise?)

Cat. No. 151 (some kind of flat plate?)

Timothy Thorpe Allen
12-31-2019, 4:05 PM
Double Duty means that this lathe was intended for both wood turning and metal working.

DDL-231 is a cross-slide machining vise for holding the metal working tooling

DDL-201 is a spindle steady rest -- looks like it's for the metal working aspect, but could potentially also be used for wood turning

Not sure about the other parts... but they look like they are for the metal working aspect of the lathe....

Peter Blair
01-01-2020, 10:15 AM
Cool old lathe. Many of the parts you show were designed as Timothy says for metal turning but most can be useful today. The cross slide especially for mounting a router or other rotating type tool. Hope you have fun at the course and I look forward to seeing what you do with all the parts!

Brandon Cariveau
01-03-2020, 6:19 PM
Update:

DDL 172 Is the bottom clamps for tools to the bed

DDL 32 Is actually a Sanding table for the lathe, couple more pictures of how is looks setup

DDL 231 Couple more pictures of how is looks setup.