PDA

View Full Version : Delta 24” Scroll Saw - Stepped or Variable Speed?

Jeff Sladick
12-30-2019, 5:17 PM
Picked up three 24 inch delta scroll saws at an auction. Looking to save one of them and restore it and sell the other two. Which should I keep? Two have stepped pulleys and one is variable speed.

thoughts on which to keep and restore?

Stephen Rosenthal
12-30-2019, 6:14 PM
Jeff,
I’ve got a Delta 1200 scroll saw, ca. 1937-41 with stepped pulleys. I use it a lot for cutting wood up to 3/4” thick. It’s a great machine. I don’t know anything about the variable speed model. Changing the speed with the stepped pulleys is a bit of a pain, but unless you’re going to use your saw for cutting metal or really thick stock, I don’t think you’ll change speeds very often if at all. I’d keep the one that’s currently in the best condition.

Jeff Sladick
12-30-2019, 6:41 PM
Jeff,
I’d keep the one that’s currently in the best condition.

Thanks for the feedback! They’re all in pretty much the same condition so I really have options as far as which one to move forward with. Hopefully somebody will chime in about the reliability of the variable speed and if it’s a great option or a pain to keep functioning.

David Buchhauser
12-30-2019, 10:19 PM
Hi Jeff,
My scroll saw looks similar but is a different brand. I would be inclined to keep the variable speed model. It will be much more handy to change speeds should the occasion arise.
David