PDA

View Full Version : Stargate Vector Graphic

Randy Walker
12-30-2019, 12:41 PM
I am looking for a vector graphic of the Stargate from the syfi show Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis. I have tried several of the graphic image sellers and a number of other places but I have been unable to find any. Would anyone here have one that they can share or possibly tell me where I can get one. It is for my own personal use and not something that I intend to sell or make money with. I want to make a Stargate infinity mirror for the entry hall in my house.

Thanks
Randy Walker

John Lifer
12-30-2019, 1:06 PM
Dude, DuckDuckgo, Vector image stargate search. About a hundred black and white images pop up.
I can trace several, but lose some of the glyphs. (coreldraw)

Neville Stewart
01-02-2020, 11:00 PM
Santiago Laverde, a long time shopbotter made a full size one for a client. Look him up.

Randy Walker
01-05-2020, 12:48 AM
Thanks John
I've used the trace function many times but I never come up with the level of detail that I really need for this project. I've also tried a full redraw but it's so time-consuming that I get frustrated and just give up.

Randy Walker

Kev Williams
01-05-2020, 11:29 PM
I made up a 'starter kit' for you in Corel (saved as version 10)
This is a screenshot of it-
There's more to it, just the rings to the left, and just the 'objects' left again-
Here's the job:

This whole thing is nothing but repeats of 3 objects: The "T" thing around the perimeter, the 'bullet' shaped design that there's many of, and the lines making up the boxes for the glyphs...

So, I hand-digitized one of each, and all the circles the make up the logo. The Glyph's DO have to be done individually of course but I'll let you Trace or hand-digitize. (Me, I'd hand draw it, less time than trying to get Trace to work right!)

So now all you have to do is make circular copies of everything, then cut away the circles where needed afterwards. Note the GREEN outer circle, this is the circle you rotate along with what you're copying, for example: group the top T thing and the GREEN circle, then COPY. Now rotate the group until the T thing aligns with the next one. Hit PASTE, now rotate THAT one, hit PASTE, -- till you've completed the circle! For the bazillion bullets, copy and rotate one at a time until you have one section done, THEN, group the whole section and copy them...

You'll get the hang of it quickly, and likely be done in 20-30 minutes tops.

NOTE!!! I have the jog set at 10", and everything is exactly 10" apart, so feel free to move stuff out of the way by jogging, everything will align perfect --

Also, the photo of the stargate is currently LOCKED, so you can superimpose your copying right on top for alignment. The hardest part will be cutting out the lines, but they'll only need cutting around the T's...

hope this helps!

Kev Williams
01-06-2020, 12:06 AM
I just finished this up, EXCEPT I haven't cut the lines yet:

-it does go pretty quick when you get the hang of it! :)

-- all by hand, no tracing programs--

John Lifer
01-06-2020, 11:13 AM
I imported one the other day in in about 30 seconds had an acceptable outline excepting the glyphs inside the boxes. They wouldn't trace.
But they would be easy to recreate or trace from another drawing. Kev's got the idea though, draw...

Randy Walker
01-08-2020, 11:09 AM
Thank you Kev
I have tried to draw it myself several times but I could never get the lock (what you have in red) to look right. The radiused wings would not line up to my satisfaction. Thank you so much.
With what you have given me I can finish the drawing. I am in your debt.

Best message board on the web
Randy Walker

Kev Williams
01-08-2020, 3:00 PM
Maybe this will help speed things up? :)

everything jogs into place :) (you'll still have to cut out extraneous lines, the 'virtual segement delete' tool may help with that!

Randy Walker
01-09-2020, 12:44 PM
WOW thats incredible. I messed with drawing one for hours and you knocked it out in your spare time. You obviously have a much greater depth of knowlege and skill using Corel than I do. Most of the stuff I do is simple design adjustments on drawings that my clients send me. I have only done a couple of complete designs and they were not nearly as complicated as this is.
Thank you. It will take me some time but when I get the mirror done I will post pictures here for you to see.

Thank you
Randy Walker

Randy Walker
01-09-2020, 12:51 PM
I also tried doing traces of imported pictures but they were not useable. I even tried using the traces to draw from but I just couldn't get them quite right. Kev is on the right track though. He obviously is skilled in Corel draw.

Thank you
Randy Wakker