PDA

View Full Version : 2019 Kapex

Greg Parrish
12-29-2019, 6:33 PM
Anyone have experience? I’m planning to get another miter saw now that I’ve reorganized my layout and have made a space. Was planning to get another Makita LS1019L but saw there is a new kapex out. Wondering how it compares and if worth the price difference? Thanks for any first hand experiences.

Joe Hendershott
12-29-2019, 6:58 PM
Good bit of Festool hate here Google FOG and get more replies.

Matt Day
12-29-2019, 7:36 PM
Good bit of Festool hate here Google FOG and get more replies.

Not sure where you got that from. Lots of folks love their Festools here, including me, especially sanders and Dominoes. There hasn’t been a lot of love for the Kapex though, given its cost and performance. .

Greg Parrish
12-29-2019, 7:41 PM
thanks

honestly I didn’t go to FOG because this is my preferred forum.

Realize the older model had issues. I’m looking for info on the new kapex. Good or bad.

Jim Becker
12-29-2019, 8:02 PM
I am in the user group and haven't seen a whole lot of negative on the new version so far, but I don't always look at threads for Kapex.

Bryan Lisowski
12-29-2019, 8:17 PM
Greg, not much has changed, supposedly with all the past failures (which festool was slow to admit to) they have upgraded the motor and other internals. I think time will tell if the issues were fully resolved. I know a lot of people said the saw is under powered for cutting hardwoods. I never felt that was the case, but I have only used others. It is still light and compact in terms of how it slides. If I was going to put a miter saw back in the shop and was buying new, I would choose the largest capacity of a non slider.

Greg Parrish
12-29-2019, 8:47 PM
Thanks Guys. I was looking at the kapex and makita due to dust collection but suppose I could try to build a hood instead to connect to the dust collector. If I went non slider and built a hood then most any 12” model would prob be fine. Thanks for the info.

Brian Holcombe
12-30-2019, 7:52 AM
Buy an Omga.

Greg Parrish
12-30-2019, 8:25 AM
Buy an Omga.

Brian, I’ve seen yours and it would be great but is cost prohibitive for my shop. Honestly the kapex is too expensive but I’m putting priority on dust collection and accuracy. The makita and kapex seem to have the best dust collection without a hood but accuracy comes into question. If I end up building a hood I can just go with a standard 12” dewalt non slider and be fine. Just not sure if I want to go with a hood or not.

Brian Holcombe
12-30-2019, 8:34 AM
The dust collection and accuracy are greatly over stated. If new is the only option then the Omga’s are expensive but if used is fine then you can get one for a reasonable price.

Outside of that I would buy a non slider or just live without a chop saw and use a sliding tablesaw instead for that purpose.

Putting forward the advice I recieved and regretted not accepting before buying the Kapex.

Greg Parrish
12-30-2019, 8:53 AM
Makes sense. I’ve been doing the live without the miter approach for months and am tired of having to change up the slider config or use the handsaw for quick cuts breaking down material. The slider approach was based on the idea that a wider cut would be handy on occasion. I’ll think through the possible hood build approach and see if I can get my dust drop over to it.

Jim Becker
12-30-2019, 9:31 AM
Greg, adding on to what Brian said, I moved my CMS upstairs in my shop where my lumber is stored...the only thing it's been used for for years has been shortening boards. I do all my criticall cutting on the slider. I even toyed with replacing the old 12" CMS with a new 8-10" sliding miter saw for what I do, but given how little I use it...it wasn't worth that investment. And as has been stated. onboard dust collection, even for the best of the machines at that, is still marginal so you need a large, cumbersome hood to actually catch all the debris anyway with these machines. If you feel you really need something, get a small 8-10" slider and a portable, folding stand...use it in your driveway when you really, really, really need a miter saw instead of your sliding table saw.

Mike Henderson
12-30-2019, 1:32 PM
I have a Kapex (older version). It's accurate enough for what I do, but not a whole lot better than the miter saw I had before. And dust collection is only so-so. I get a lot of swarf behind and around the saw.

If I was doing it again, I'd probably buy some other brand and save the money.

Mike

Darcy Warner
12-30-2019, 2:10 PM
I bought mine maybe 6 months after they first came out. Been drug all over the place, used hard, moderately maintained and has been a great saw. It currently resides in my shipping department for crate building, mostly because I haven't drug a RAS over there yet.

Patrick Walsh
12-30-2019, 2:16 PM
If you buying it for dust collection I’d think again. It’s marginally better than a modified dewalt hooked up to a shop vacume.

I’d buy a used OMGA over it in a heart beat.

Honestly I opt for a skillsaw to break stuff down and a sled on the ts or a slider. Only place I ever want to use a chop saw in on site.

Mike Delyster
12-30-2019, 2:39 PM
My favourite miter saw.

Tom Bain
12-30-2019, 2:42 PM
I have an older Kapex I bought used, and it's an "ok" miter saw as others have said. In my new shop, I'm going to try and work without having a dedicated miter saw setup and see if I really miss it. I have a slider that I do 99% of my crosscutting on anyway. The one positive on the Kapex is it's easy to move around (light and relatively compact), so I'm thinking I can always pull it out if I really need it but not have a permanent home for it.

Patrick Walsh
12-30-2019, 2:46 PM
That’s just freaking a dream saw..

My favourite miter saw.

Darcy Warner
12-30-2019, 3:08 PM
That’s just freaking a dream saw..

I must be inside a dream, last count I have 5 unipoints.
They really are the best out there. 5hp miter saw basically, that can do even more. Parts still available, basically same design for about 70 years.

Patrick Walsh
12-30-2019, 3:11 PM
If only I had the space and you the willingness to sell.

If I ever get a real shop sized shop that will be one of the first additions.

I must be inside a dream, last count I have 5 unipoints.
They really are the best out there. 5hp miter saw basically, that can do even more. Parts still available, basically same design for about 70 years.

Greg Parrish
12-30-2019, 3:16 PM
I have a Felder sliding saw but it doesn’t stay setup with miter and carriage table all the time due to space constraints. So when I want shorter pieces for cnc work or making cutting boards it means lots of hand sawing or moving my golf cart out of garage And installing parts on the Felder. These are not precision cuts but are quick material breakdown cuts. I don’t want to do outside as my space is air conditioned. So I’m just looking for the best way to get these types of cuts with most capacity and least amount of free dust possible. I think I’ve made a space large enough to squeeze in a miter saw behind my bench but not a radial arm or floor stander.

Ross Manning
12-30-2019, 7:16 PM
Bosch Glide!
More power, bigger blade, way cheaper. Dust can be made to work as well as Kapex.

Negative - it's heavy.

Joe Calhoon
12-30-2019, 8:42 PM
If you have a Felder slider you might want to consider their double miter. I have one on my Martin and it is my go to for precision miters and odd cuts on small workpieces. I have a Kapex, Omga and a really accurate Graule Radial saw and prefer the double miter for accuracy and quick setup.

Tom Bain
12-30-2019, 9:02 PM
If you have a Felder slider you might want to consider their double miter. I have one on my Martin and it is my go to for precision miters and odd cuts on small workpieces. I have a Kapex, Omga and a really accurate Graule Radial saw and prefer the double miter for accuracy and quick setup.

Joe — That double miter gauge is SWEET, but it’s also like $1,600 :eek:

Joe Calhoon
12-30-2019, 9:16 PM
Tom, yes about the same as a Kapex. Less than a New Omga though and probably less than a good used Unipoint or Graule.
mine is the analog version and no regrets not getting the digital version.

Tom Bain
12-30-2019, 9:49 PM
I didn’t realize that the new Kapex’s were up to that price level. Holy cow. I bought mine used and paid WAY less than that ... thankfully.

Dan Friedrichs
12-30-2019, 10:06 PM
The one without the calculator is only $845 :)
https://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US/en-US/en-US/Sawing/Accessories/Fence-accessories/DGL-690.html

michael dilday
12-30-2019, 10:07 PM
I have had good success with the Dewalt Double Bevel sliding miter saw. Seems to be extremely accurate.

Derek Arita
12-31-2019, 4:24 PM
Well, I have the older version and don't see how it could be improved, but more power is always good. I had a 12" Makita slider and no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to cut dead on, no matter what adjustments I made. My Kapex took some working with to get it to cut 90* on both sides of the fence, but I got it. And, by dead on, I mean as good as my 12" Starrett and 60+ year old eyes could measure and that's close enough for me. If the new Kapex is at least as good, I think you'll love it. I have the lasers set up so the blade cuts split the laser.

Greg Parrish
12-31-2019, 6:22 PM
Based on price I think I’ve about talked myself into another makita 10” ls1019l like I had before or maybe the 12” ls1219l. The benefit to the 12” version is that you can lock the slide and gave decent chop capacity or with the slide have 15” capacity. Since I’m looking more for breakdown use than super accuracy either should be fine and provide dust collection at least somewhat close to a kapex.

for serious cuts I’d turn to the Felder and eventually I’ll get a board for my plane to bring cuts to the line.

but I’m prob leaning for the 10” since blades are cheaper and it should handle the bulk of my cross cuts including the 12” capacity of my jointer/planer.

Jim Becker
01-01-2020, 9:29 AM
Unless you plan on cutting a lot of thick stock (posts, etc.), I agree with the 10" direction, especially since with a sliding miter saw, the width capacity isn't dependent on the blade size as much. Lighter in weight, too, which is nice should you ever need to use it "elsewhere" for any reason.

Greg Parrish
01-01-2020, 9:52 AM
Actually I just ordered the LS1019L for that same reasoning. I had one about a year ago and liked it but when I started my major shop makeover it was one of the items to go along with the fastcap best fence pro. In hindsight I wish I’d have kept the saw and just sold the stand. Hindsight is always crystal clear though. LOL

the 10” version should meet 95% of the needs when I use it. Anything thicker can go to the Felder or the handsaw on those rare occasions.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-02-2020, 8:47 AM
I have had good success with the Dewalt Double Bevel sliding miter saw. Seems to be extremely accurate.

I sure wish they made a 10" saw though. My crew loves the 12" Flexvolt (BIG battery power or plug it in, lasts all day on a charge cutting trim) slider I just got, but the old reliable LS Makitas that I keep around are more accurate. I really do think that most 12" blades are too prone to deforming and cut quality falls off quicker than with a 10". Plus you can almost get two Makitas for the price of one of the Flexvolts.