PDA

View Full Version : Question about Lie Nielsen 140

David Sloan
12-29-2019, 2:01 PM
I am planning to buy the LN 140 skew rabbet block plane with a Chistmas gift card. They have left handed and right handed versions. For a right handed person buying only one of these planes, which version would you choose? Looking at the photos of the two planes and picturing myself using the plane, I am leaning toward the left version. Thanks in advance, David

Jim Koepke
12-29-2019, 2:10 PM
What tasks do you envision yourself using a #140 to accomplish?

For many years there was only one version available. That seemed to be enough for most wood workers.

The main reason for left & right versions is when they are used for making raised panels. This is when it is advantageous to have your plane working with the grain.

jtk

Thomas Wilson
12-29-2019, 2:48 PM
I have both. I find them useful when cleaning up tenon cheeks or half lap joints. It is handy to come at the shoulder from both sides. The skew cut is smoother than a rabbet block plane or shoulder plane.

To answer your specific question, I use the right hand version quite a bit more.

Derek Cohen
12-29-2019, 3:18 PM
I am planning to buy the LN 140 skew rabbet block plane with a Chistmas gift card. They have left handed and right handed versions. For a right handed person buying only one of these planes, which version would you choose? Looking at the photos of the two planes and picturing myself using the plane, I am leaning toward the left version. Thanks in advance, David

David, I have a spectacular LN #140. I purchased it in very rough state on eBay, and Thomas Lie Nielsen helped me restore it. For this reason, I cannot part with it ...

https://i.postimg.cc/cLfqs5hD/LNSkew-Rabbet-Block-Plane-Restoration-html-2e54e39f.jpg

Having said this, it is rarely used. The skew block planes of Veritas are just so much better - easier to set up, adjust and use. If you are determined to get a skew block plane, the Veritas is the preferred choice.

On the other hand, if you wish to get a LN block plane, and you do not have their #60 1/2 (which is excellent - and I would be recommending this long before the #140), I would be looking at their rabbet block plane, which comes in handy (and gives you both hands in one).

Regards from Prague

Derek

Stephen Rosenthal
12-29-2019, 5:54 PM
Like Thomas I have both LNs. I use them quite a bit. In addition to the tasks Thomas mentioned, I use them for quickly squaring up edges when I don’t feel like dragging out the shooting board. I’m right-handed and do use the RH version more, but find both useful.

David Sloan
12-29-2019, 6:56 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the comments. I would use it to trim tenons and rabbets. I also like how Rob Cosman makes a shallow rebate on tailboards using a 140. Derek’s comment makes me hesitate. I already have several block planes, my favorite being a vintage 601/2.

Jim Koepke
12-29-2019, 8:01 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the comments. I would use it to trim tenons and rabbets. I also like how Rob Cosman makes a shallow rebate on tailboards using a 140. Derek’s comment makes me hesitate. I already have several block planes, my favorite being a vintage 601/2.

For those uses one side or the other would likely be all that is needed.

Recently a vintage Stanley #60-1/2 came my way. It is used more than my LN #60-1/2. The main reason for that is the Stanley is a bit lighter and easier to grip due to an old hand injury. For many the LN might be a touch better due to the extra weight and heavier blade. The LN is only available with an A2 blade.

If you do not already have a rabbet plane the LN #60-1/2R (rabbet block plane) might be a good choice at $50 less than the #140.

jtk

Andrew Hughes
12-29-2019, 9:31 PM
I have the right handed version.
It’s a limited use tool but it’s always ready and sharp.

Günter VögelBerg
12-29-2019, 10:58 PM
I am right-handed and generally use the left-handed version. I use it one-handed pushing away from my body perpendicularly.

lowell holmes
12-31-2019, 1:57 PM
I bought the right hand version.

Tony Zaffuto
01-05-2020, 2:54 PM
For those uses one side or the other would likely be all that is needed.

Recently a vintage Stanley #60-1/2 came my way. It is used more than my LN #60-1/2. The main reason for that is the Stanley is a bit lighter and easier to grip due to an old hand injury. For many the LN might be a touch better due to the extra weight and heavier blade. The LN is only available with an A2 blade.

If you do not already have a rabbet plane the LN #60-1/2R (rabbet block plane) might be a good choice at $50 less than the #140.

jtk

I'm with Jim on this one: a vintage 60-1/2 just fits me better. In my neck of the woods, they are readily available at flea markets, etc., and I've got a number of them for $5 to $10.00. Blades are good steel in the older ones. Ray Isles makes a top notch carbon steel blade, as does Hock, however, the square corners on the Hock blade are very uncomfortable.

Mike Henderson
01-05-2020, 5:13 PM
I have the left and right LN planes - almost never use them. Get a regular low angle block plane.

Mike