PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded My Laser Today :)

Dave Fifield
12-19-2005, 10:24 PM
I couldn't resist the opportunity to upgrade from my older 35W Epilog Legend 24TT to an almost new 45W Epilog Mini 24 today. :) :D

I will be picking up the new(ish) laser in a few days and will then have my Legend 24TT with air assist/compressor and low cfm exhaust fan available for sale. If you know anyone who'd be interested, point them my way before I list it on that well known online auction place.

Moderators - I'm not sure about the ethics of offering stuff for sale here - please feel free to correct me/wipe this thread out/reprimand me/publicly flog me etc. if necessary!

Cheers,
Dave Fifield

Ken Frisby
12-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Dave,

I find it interesting that you would give up speed and features to goto a mini. Other than the fact of it being 45 watts vs 35 watts. A friend of mine has a mini and he wants my TT.

Dave Fifield
12-20-2005, 1:42 AM
Hi Ken,

As I understand it, the Mini 24 is the model that replaced the 24TT. Is the Mini 24 really slower than the 24TT? I have no data on the speed of either. The work areas (x:y:z) are the same. The motors look the same. Anyone know the facts?

What other features am I giving up? The only thing I can find missing in the Mini 24 that was there on the 24TT is the ability to view a really small rendition of each job in the queue on the LCD - a feature that I never use.

The Mini 24 appears to have several features that the 24TT doesn't have (like easily relocatable home position, easier 3D engraving, and vaccuum table to name a few - all things I'd like to have). The extra wattage will definately be useful for some of the projects I have in mind.

What am I missing?

I'm guessing your friend has a Mini 18.

Dave F.

Ken Frisby
12-20-2005, 7:18 AM
Hi Dave,

He has the Mini 24. The mini doesn't have LCD control panel features that the 24TT has. The vacumn table is a good idea, but after seeing his, it needs more work. The Mini is slower, I think it's 15 IPS slower. You mentioned the 3d feature....I was not impressed at all with it. I really haven't seen any 3d feature on any machine that is real usable. The answer I got from Epson on the reasoning behind the Mini was to price cut on some features to make an affordable entry level machine. Please don't get me wrong, the Mini is a nice machine. I just like the TT24 better.

Roy Brewer
12-20-2005, 5:55 PM
I couldn't resist the opportunity to upgrade from my older 35W Epilog Legend 24TT to an almost new 45W Epilog Mini 24 today.

Dave,

Before the flogging begins, does you TT have the end cap upgrade? In what month was it manufactured? I may have someone interested.

Tyler Howell
12-20-2005, 6:01 PM
Even you Star Wars Light Saber guys gotta show pictures too!!
For those of us that are clueless about that side of WW a little pix action would be helpful.
Now make sure you use a good GFI and Xcord when you drag that thing down to the creek to show off!
Congrats on your new toyl Dave.:D

Bill Villamor
12-20-2005, 7:40 PM
Dave and I have been friends for years and I know the real reason he upgraded to the 45W Mini and the reason wasn't the need for speed.

Dave recently purchased the TT and then I went out and bought a 35W Mini (that I received yesterday), he then proceeded to purchase the 45W mini. My wife thinks we are both crazy. I have to go now, I think I see a 65W laser for sale on EBAY.

Ken Frisby
12-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Dave,

Before the flogging begins, does you TT have the end cap upgrade? In what month was it manufactured? I may have someone interested.

Roy,

What is the end cap upgrade? Is that the new x motor bearing bracket?

Dave Fifield
12-20-2005, 10:31 PM
I don't know what you mean by the "end cap upgrade" either Roy. Fill us in with the details if you don't mind please. My 24TT was manufactured July 2004 according to the label on the back. Any good?

Bill - 65W, is that all? :rolleyes: I can see I'm going to have to investigate YAG lasers soon....or maybe one of those new dual-mode Trotec jobs! :D

BTW, welcome to SMC!!

Cheers,
Dave F.

Roy Brewer
12-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Is that the new x motor bearing bracket?

Yes, that's it.

Dave Fifield
01-08-2006, 4:32 AM
Well, it took me longer than I thought to find time to go fetch my new(er) laser. I took a day trip to LA yesterday (the fog in the Central Valley was awful). It's all installed in my and working just fine.

I thought I'd try out the 18-point snowflake christmas ornament design to see how long it took to cut compared with my old Legend 24TT. Using the settings recommended in the Epilog manual (which seem just fine for the job), it took just 22 minutes to cut on the newer Mini 24, compared to 42 minutes on the old Legend 24TT. Thus I have to conclude that the newer model is actually much faster.

It's a keeper. I have the Legend 24TT for sale on the classfieds section of SMC here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28999

I thought it'd be nice to let SMC'ers have first crack at it. Let me know if you or anyone you know are interested - I will consider sensible offers. If no one shows any interest by mid-week, I'll see about selling it elsewhere.

Cheers,
Dave Fifield

Jesse Merino
01-14-2006, 6:07 AM
Ok, just happened to stumble on this thing, while on my way to wood turnings, and thought...lazers??? What, are we into Star Wars Technology? And what has that got to do with wood?

The only lazer I know of, is the ones that are lazer printers...So, do you print out a picture and slap it onto a peice of wood?

I just wont tell my wife that I was here, she would have a conniption fit, if she found out that there may be a NEW TOOL, that I might be interested in...ROTFLOL!!...Jesse

Keith Outten
01-14-2006, 7:32 AM
Ok, just happened to stumble on this thing, while on my way to wood turnings, and thought...lazers??? What, are we into Star Wars Technology? And what has that got to do with wood?

The only lazer I know of, is the ones that are lazer printers...So, do you print out a picture and slap it onto a peice of wood?

Jesse

Jesse,

Laser engravers are not exactly new to woodworkers but they are becoming very popular these days. The price makes them a bit tough to purchase but for those who are doing commercial work, even one-man shops, they can bring your wodworking to another level. Lots of Woodworkers are finding that an engraver makes it possible for them to start new businesses built around their engravers capability.

Basically todays laser engravers are like printers, they use a laser beam to cut and burn (vector cut/raster engrave) wood, acrylic, leather and a whole host of other materials. Entry level machines are in the ten thousand dolllar neighborhood. As you can see woodworkers who own laser engravers are starting to upgrade their lasers just like you would a joiner, planer or bandsaw :)

Below is a picture looking down into the laser engraving cabinet of a scroll saw type of project being cut by the laser beam, the inset shows the finished project.

Lee DeRaud
01-14-2006, 10:40 AM
And what has that got to do with wood?Well, just for starters: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29243
(No saw teeth were harmed in the making of this piece. :cool: )
I just wont tell my wife that I was here, she would have a conniption fit, if she found out that there may be a NEW TOOL, that I might be interested in...ROTFLOL!!...JesseAnd whatever you do, don't tell her how much one costs, that will really put her over the top.:eek:

Jesse Merino
01-15-2006, 2:29 PM
Well, this is too rich for my blood...

I can buy a whole host of work shop tools with ten thousand dollars, and I am not a good "drawer" if I had to do something like that, so I shall leave you all to your "craft" and concentrate on wood turnings for now:)

Thanks for answering my questions... You have put my mind to rest... (sticker shock, usually does that...ROTFLOL!!)...

Have a Great Day....Jesse

Dave Fifield
01-16-2006, 6:03 AM
Hang in there Jesse, the prices will come down over time and you'll be able to afford a good second hand one before you know it. They really do a great job of enhancing woodwork pieces.

In order to get the most from a laser engraver though, I believe you do need to be a fairly artisitic person and have the right software and hardware tools available. I'm working on my art skills and I'm still in learning mode with my laser engraver. I plan on using the laser for vector cutting intricate marquetry pictures and enhancing my turnings and boxes mainly.

Cheers,
Dave Fifield