PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Purchase....SCM, Felder, Laguna????

John Schumer
12-29-2019, 12:03 PM
I know,
Another bandsaw question!!
In the market for a larger sized bandsaw, in the Antique boat restoration, building business.
Looking at a Felder FB610, SCM Formula S500P or maybe a Laguna LT2417
Anyone have any experience with these saws, customer service, parts availability....
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
John

Edwin Santos
12-29-2019, 12:16 PM
Hi,
I think your three choices are a similar class of saw. I own the S500P (MM20) and I can say it is a superb piece of equipment and I have no regrets or criticisms.

If your choices are end up being a toss up in terms of features and service is important to you, I can say from my experience that my SCM sales rep, Sam Blasco is a class act and a wealth of information.

I hope this helps.

Larry Edgerton
12-29-2019, 12:24 PM
There is a used SCM s500p listed on Woodweb that looks to be little used, in a home shop, and has some extras for just under $4k. Its in Maine so not all that far from you.

Mick Simon
12-29-2019, 12:47 PM
I also have the S500P and love it. I keep a 1" Lenox CT on it since I have another BS for curved work. Zero complaints and Sam is indeed a wealth of information. I close friend has the FB600 and is very happy with it.

David Kumm
12-29-2019, 1:09 PM
You also need to ask if the new MM or SCM saws are sourced from ACM rather than Centauro. The new saws are 540,640, etc which are the size of the heavy ACM series vs the 500,600 size on the Centauro saws. The ACM 24x17 and older Centauro 600 saws will be the best at resawing with the S500 close behind. A used three phase saw and a vfd to run it will be your lowest cost best bang for the buck choice. Dave

PS. the Felder 640, Laguna LT 640, or older Felder, Bridgewood, or Laguna LT 540 will all be ACM machines.

andy bessette
12-29-2019, 1:16 PM
Watch for a deal on a quality used saw in excellent condition.

Joe Hendershott
12-29-2019, 1:19 PM
I've had a Laguna 14BX for 6 months or so and use it to resaw for veneer. Would have loved to get something like a MM but could not justify the price right now. I have to say that the fit and finish on the 14BX it pretty good and it has worked flawlessly for me. Way nicer than the Grizzly or Jet products I've looked at.

Tom Trees
12-29-2019, 2:03 PM
I have a 1997 ACM star600/GriggioSNAC600 and I wonder if its the same saw as the Laguna you mention.
The motors might be the biggest difference between my saw and the Laguna, mine is 3hp 3 phase and runs well from a hundred quid VFD.
The design hasn't changed on the new ACM star machines apart from an added dust port from what I can tell.

You might want a rack an pinion table and that might be the deal breaker.
If the Laguna is the same as the old ACM Star then it is a bad system for adjustment, if you need tilt your table.

I believe they all share the same guide mounting size rod for the whole guide assembly, and use GL456 or GL789 rollers, look up Scott&Sargeant to see them.
I got mine for 500 euros and replaced the wheel bearings (which I didn't need to do) they are standard and cost a fiver each.

The tires are vulcanised to the wheel on my saw, but on the Minimax they are stretched onto the wheels and have a tongue on the tire to keep them put.
See Sam Blasco's video on Minimax bandsaws showing this on youtube
I bought a SP600 tire with tongue which I believe will have to be removed if one ever gets damaged, it was expensive to get shipped.

If I knew of a tire material on eBay was available I would have just bought it instead, and have stumbled on forum thread where someone has used this stuff...
Search Ebay for SOLID PLY REINFORCED INSERTION SIDE SKIRT NEOPRENE RUBBER STRIP VARIOUS SIZES.
(just incase you find something else needing tires)

Good luck
Tom

John Schumer
01-01-2020, 10:42 AM
Just getting back to this, ended up with the damn flu!! not fun...
Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it.
Lagunas are ACM
SCM are Centauro
FB610 is supposedly made in Austria, whatever that means.
John

Patrick Walsh
01-01-2020, 11:04 AM
Don’t think SMC are Centuro anymore but I’m not 100% as I have not made the call. It’s just the internet mumbling.

Craigslist Boston has a s500 in RI for $4k

That’s a bit pricey for used but honestly if I was in the market and speaking as a owner of a S500 I would buy a used Centuro over a new rebranded scm form any maker.

But this is my feeling on all used equipment in general. I’d rather buy top of the line used and deal with potential problems “most all can be worked out” than buy middle of the road new and also face potential problems but then get all pissed because I purchase something new that should work and does not.

Simply the Centuro saws are awesome. Every high end “top tier” Scm machine I have used “not their entry level stuff” that’s been unimpressive in my experience has been plug and play. I consider the Centuro Scm branded band saws top tier machines. The cast table is less than impressive but it’s a band saw and it works so I can see by that.

For instance my former employer paid $18k for a SCM630 class 24” planer. One tier bellow their top of the line. It was $18 new delivered. Honestly I’m a Martin snob but have to admit this machine was very nice. Contrast that to a new Martin “simular level” at more like $35k and it’s a deal. Now take both machines used and the SCM can be had for like $9-12k depending and the Martin like $20k. I myself for whatever reason would still buy the Martin but this is not about that. My point is that used SCM planer is a great deal and very good machine for anything o would say but industrial run all day use.

I’d stick to a SCM made by Centuro. If that meant buying used at this point I would. If I had unlimited head room there are other older machines and maybe a few new I’d consider.

John Schumer
01-01-2020, 9:42 PM
I can’t seem to find info on the SCM website worth a darn, let alone a phone number!!
anyone have any info for them?
thanks

Mick Simon
01-02-2020, 8:10 AM
I can’t seem to find info on the SCM website worth a darn, let alone a phone number!!
anyone have any info for them?
thanks

I would email Sam Blasco directly at sam.blasco@scmgroup.com. He's a wealth of info and can email you everything.

Jim Becker
01-02-2020, 9:39 AM
Sam Blasco
sam.blasco@scmgroup.com (sblasco@scmgroup.com)
512-931-1962 (tel:512-931-1962) (shop)
512-796-3036 (tel:512-796-3036) (mobile)
866-216-2166 (main office/parts/tech services)
www.minimax-usa.com (http://www.minimax-usa.com/)

John Schumer
01-04-2020, 9:54 AM
Thanks for all the help guys,
Jim,
Thanks for the contact info, for some reason I couldn't find it!!
Ended up going the SCM route, yes, they are still made by Centauro (sp)?
John

Mark e Kessler
01-04-2020, 10:41 AM
David, as far as VFD goes what ww equipment to avoid? Thinking planer, jointer and maybe saw?

You also need to ask if the new MM or SCM saws are sourced from ACM rather than Centauro. The new saws are 540,640, etc which are the size of the heavy ACM series vs the 500,600 size on the Centauro saws. The ACM 24x17 and older Centauro 600 saws will be the best at resawing with the S500 close behind. A used three phase saw and a vfd to run it will be your lowest cost best bang for the buck choice. Dave

PS. the Felder 640, Laguna LT 640, or older Felder, Bridgewood, or Laguna LT 540 will all be ACM machines.

Myk Rian
01-04-2020, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't put a vfd on anything but a bandsaw or drill press. The other machines need to run at full rpm.

Mark e Kessler
01-04-2020, 12:44 PM
Pretty sure they will run at full rpm it would be the load that is the problem

I wouldn't put a vfd on anything but a bandsaw or drill press. The other machines need to run at full rpm.

David Kumm
01-04-2020, 12:59 PM
in most woodworking applications the vfd is just to convert single phase to three. Simple machines with one motor and no electronics are the best candidates. Dave

Darcy Warner
01-04-2020, 1:44 PM

Huh? Who told you this nonsense?

Tom Trees
01-04-2020, 3:53 PM
Have a cheap 100 euros one on my 12" 3hp tablesaw and it runs off my household 3 pin plug, 13 amps in Ireland and the U.K.
Adjustable soft start enables me to not require an electrician to wire up a 16amp socket, so allows me to have at least an extra horse and no fuses blow.
it's the starting draw that is hard on the supply.
I decided to leave my bandsaw running to check at the meter, and it drew little more than my laptop.
My saws will not struggle with what I normally do.
Occasionally an hour at a time on the tablesaw doing full depth cuts in iroko is no challenge.

A paddle switch makes an nice addition for hands free shut off and you can wire as many off switches as you like.(hidden or key lock if you like)
Look for a Vfd' / inverter which has compatibility for 3 wire control for a paddle.

I don't believe you can use these in business as you have to comply with ten second isolation from mains supply rule. (The capicators need time to drain after unplugging)

No reason to pass on an absolute bargain which will be a better class machine, more frequently encountered, and far cheaper, compared to a machine I can run from a domestic plug.

Malcolm McLeod
01-04-2020, 6:08 PM
Since it's looks like the thread has already 'taken the turn', I'll dig the rabbit hole a little deeper (and mix 1 or 6 metaphors:o)....

VFD can give you soft-start, some overload protection (tho' not classified as such), phase conversion, full rated motor HP (or less, if you want), braking, AND variable speed. It will do more too, at the risk of boring y'all, like metering, or clean up dirty power if your electric supplier is giving you the high, haaa... ...well, you get the idea.

Speeds? Take your pick. They can be anywhere from 1Hz to 600Hz depending on VFD make. As a practical matter, I try to keep continuous duty, industrial applications between 25% and 150%. Lower and the motor's cooling fan efficiency is compromised; higher and typical motor's bearings just don't last. But in a intermittent duty, hobby shop you could break the 'me' rules for short periods.:D

lowell holmes
01-06-2020, 11:01 AM
Check this site, I have a jet with a 4" riser block and I can can cut up to 8" with it.

https://www.toolnut.com/jet-414483-vbs-1408-14-vertical-bandsaw.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=414483

Barry McFadden
01-06-2020, 12:49 PM
Check this site, I have a jet with a 4" riser block and I can can cut up to 8" with it.

https://www.toolnut.com/jet-414483-vbs-1408-14-vertical-bandsaw.html?utm_source=shopzilla&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=414483

I'm surprised a 14" bandsaw can only cut 8" high.....

Jim Becker
01-06-2020, 3:46 PM

Lowell, the OP is buying a much larger saw and ordered from SCM/Minimax.

John Schumer
01-25-2020, 7:30 PM
Finally all set to go,
Runs like a champ, happy with the purchase,
Thanks to all who helped!
Whoever it was that pointed me to this saw that was in Maine, Thanks!!
Anyone have a set of the European style guides that want to sell??
John

Patrick Walsh
01-25-2020, 10:18 PM
My s500p may be one of the only ok few tools purchases I have made that I’m 100% satisfied with. The machine just does what it’s suppose to do. No fuss no fiddling nothing just plug it in and work.

Finally all set to go,
Runs like a champ, happy with the purchase,
Thanks to all who helped!
Whoever it was that pointed me to this saw that was in Maine, Thanks!!
John

Mick Simon
01-26-2020, 8:35 AM
I think you'll love it. I have no complaints with mine.

Mike King
01-26-2020, 9:43 AM
I bought the euro guides from Laguna and installed them on my Felder FB510. I suspect you can do the same.

Mike

mike waters
02-02-2020, 3:32 PM
for reference:
felder = agazzani

Neil Gaskin
02-02-2020, 9:28 PM
We have an SCM MM20. I like it overall. Plenty of power. Built well and heavy.

Support is out of Atlanta I believe and they have been helpful.

My only complaint is the switch has gone out twice in 3 years. Simple enough fix but it should last longer. It’s an Eaton switch and I’ve read online it’s a common enough to find a few complaints.

David Kumm
02-02-2020, 10:55 PM
Agazanni closed and sold it's designs to Panhans. I still believe ACM is the source of the Felder higher level saws. Dave

mike waters
02-07-2020, 7:48 AM
Agazanni closed and sold it's designs to Panhans. I still believe ACM is the source of the Felder higher level saws. Dave

Dave,
Awesome, thanks for that information!

lowell holmes
02-07-2020, 5:14 PM
He must be planning on sawing lumber from logs.:)