PDA

View Full Version : table highs and lows

Bill Carey
12-29-2019, 11:51 AM
Highs:
I've never used the Sellers knife wall technique and have been waiting for an opportunity to use it, so when the lap joint came up for this table base, I figured it was the right time. I made the plywood base so I could align the pieces and then figured out if I cut a "window" in the ply I could knife both sides easily. Worked great. And the knife wall really is the way to go. As near a perfect joint as I can make. Was a pleasure to make it with all hand tools.
422445 422446 422447

Lows:
The top is made with 2 8" boards in the center that are book matched, and I was very happy to be able to make that 8/4 board work for it. Then the 5" pieces are added to the outside for a 36"-ish top. And you would think that during all the prep time, the cutting for the biscuits, the set up, the glue up, the clamping, I would have noticed I put the last (of course it was the last - ain't that always how it goes?) 5" board on the wrong side. Talk about brain dead. And as if the sawdust gods were really pissed that I could do that, the book matched board split during the clamping. And I only tighten the clamps to get squeeze out. I don't really crank down on them. A complete disaster. So off to the TS to cut the 5" board off - soon to become a 4 3/4" board - and re-glue. And glue up the crack that developed.
422448 422449 422450 422451

But on the bright side, this extra work gives a perfect excuse not to watch the Bears today - they really sucked this year.