PDA

View Full Version : Can I use taller blades on my planer?

mark hettinga
12-28-2019, 9:05 AM
Here’s the deal, several years ago I needed to sharpen a set of blades for my grizzly 20” planer. They were sent out and I was down for a while, so I ended up ordering a set of laminated knives. They were very expensive. But by the time they came in so had my standard set of knives from the sharpening shop. I ended up installing the sharpened set of knives. Roll the clock forward a couple of years, knives need sharpened again, actually one needs replaced. So I open the box of expensive knives I had purchased in anticipation of this day, and who, these baby’s are 1/4’ taller then the original set. Basically the machine came with 1” knives and these are 1 1/4”. If the machine spins these freely is there a problem in using them?

Jim Becker
12-28-2019, 9:53 AM
You've identified a key potential issue...clearance. Honestly, even if things appear to spin ok (manually), I'd check with the manufacturer, too. And don't forget that if they will work, your scales will have to be re-calibrated...don't assume they can go far enough in that direction since most adjustment is likely to be from OEM inward (smaller) to account for sharpening. Bottom line...check with Grizz.

William Hodge
12-28-2019, 10:05 AM
1/4" is a lot to lower the anti-kick back fingers, infeed roller, outfeed rollers, and pressure bar. Also, the clearance to the chip breaker might get violently increased if you powered up those knives.

Edit: If the knives are the right thickness and length, a knife shop could trim off the extra height.

Michael A. Tyree
12-28-2019, 10:16 AM
I really, really doubt they will work.

Mike Kees
12-28-2019, 11:24 AM
Pull one of the old knives and see how the new ones fit in the cutter head slot. They should only stick out about 1/32'' above the back edge of the bevel on the knife. If they fit this way it should not be a problem. If they stick up more than this when they are bottomed out in the slot I would not use them. As others have said Grizzly should be able to give you the proper width for knives in that machine.