PDA

View Full Version : Drying in oven

bob pfohler
12-28-2019, 7:17 AM
I see a lot of guys drying wood in a small oven before casting in turning blanks. Am I correct in assuming the small countertop ovens are a small convection and not a toaster oven with an exposed heating element?

Peter Blair
12-28-2019, 9:55 AM
Nope you may not. Lol we use toaster ovens with exposed heating elements but are very careful not to let the items touch the elements. Or at least that is my process.

John K Jordan
12-29-2019, 3:24 PM
I see a lot of guys drying wood in a small oven before casting in turning blanks. Am I correct in assuming the small countertop ovens are a small convection and not a toaster oven with an exposed heating element?

I dry small pieces of wood in a toaster oven for moisture measurement using the oven-dry method. I use a low heat, monitored with a thermocouple. The electric coils are only on occasionally so nothing gets toasted.

JKJ

Richard Coers
12-29-2019, 5:01 PM
There is a huge difference between drying from dead wet, to drying from air dried wood. Dead wet has to go into something that can be accurately controlled around 90 degrees or less to start. Toaster ovens are notorious for having cheap controls. Toaster ovens work fine for something that starts at 20% moisture or less.