PDA

View Full Version : Tool Buying Guilt?

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-27-2019, 9:09 PM
Hi guys,

Bit of an odd post maybe so sorry in advance.

The other thread about what Santa brought you for Christmas just got me thinking. I normally use Christmas as an excuse to buy myself some tools but this year I had picked up some stuff leading up to the holidays and I already felt like I didn't deserve more - in fact I felt a bit 'dirty'.

I have really fallen hard into woodworking since discovering it a few years ago. I love so much about so many aspects of it and I have felt a strong compulsion to learn more and to also acquire the 'capability' to enable me to make most things I could think of. I have therefore piled a lot of money into tools, and woodworking has consumed most of my conscious thoughts and time as well.

When it comes to tools, I feel very fortunate to have been able to acquire what I have. However, I find that buying tools doesn't bring me happiness beyond the initial purchase, and in fact buying more tools feels somewhat shameful, glutonous and shallow; at least until those tools are put to productive use. Making things with those tools is like the salve or cure to those feelings, and it's only when I've made things that I start to feel ok about it. Making things makes me feel clean.

Even if I can afford more nice tools I might really want, I feel it's somehow inappropriate to buy more until I really get more use out of what I already have.

Does that make sense or echo anyone elses thoughts here?

Cheers, Dom

Doug Dawson
12-27-2019, 9:21 PM
Hi guys,

The other thread about what Santa brought you for Christmas just got me thinking. I normally use Christmas as an excuse to buy myself some tools but this year I had picked up some stuff leading up to the holidays and I already felt like I didn't deserve more - in fact I felt a bit 'dirty'.

I have really fallen hard into woodworking since discovering it a few years ago. I love so much about so many aspects of it and I have felt a strong compulsion to learn more and to also acquire the 'capability' to enable me to make most things I could think of. I have therefore piled a lot of money into tools, and woodworking has consumed most of my conscious thoughts and time as well.

When it comes to tools, I feel very fortunate to have been able to acquire what I have. However, I find that buying tools doesn't bring me happiness beyond the initial purchase, and in fact buying more tools feels somewhat shameful, glutonous and shallow; at least until those tools are put to productive use. Making things with those tools is like the salve or cure to those feelings, and it's only when I've made things that I start to feel ok about it. Making things makes me feel clean.

Even if I can afford more nice tools I might really want, I feel it's somehow inappropriate to buy more until I really get more use out of what I already have.

The initial investment to "get functional" can be high. Don't feel so bad about it. It is what it is.

Ron Citerone
12-27-2019, 9:44 PM
If your purchase is putting you in debt or stressing your family budget I would be careful. If you can afford it, get some stuff.............sometimes have a wider variety of tools causes you to be able to use what you already have more often and efficiently. Buying a small planer on Craiig'slist opened up so many opportunities for me to use other tools I had plus save money buying sawmill lumber. my 2 pennies.

Bruce Wrenn
12-27-2019, 9:50 PM
In my working life, tools were always on sale, at least 50% off. Any money spent on tools was money that I didn't have to pay state, or federal income taxes on, along with SS. So if I could justify it, I bought it. In retirement, my outlook has changed to"can I get by without it?" I have tools that I have never used, but "had them just in case."

Ron Citerone
12-27-2019, 10:03 PM
In my working life, tools were always on sale, at least 50% off. Any money spent on tools was money that I didn't have to pay state, or federal income taxes on, along with SS. So if I could justify it, I bought it. In retirement, my outlook has changed to"can I get by without it?" I have tools that I have never used, but "had them just in case."

Good point Bruce. I have taken the approach if I was starting a DIY project and I needed a tool I bought it and then had it for life. That is a good approach for younger woodworkers I believe. Now with kids raided and retired, I am not sweating money as much and continue to buy what I need.

michael dilday
12-27-2019, 10:43 PM
I buy the tools as I need them and don't skimp on quality. Like Ron Citerone I buy what I need when I need it and have a tool for life. I have a smallish shop 20' by 22' so my biggest limitation is space. I am lucky that my wife supports my hobby and lets me get what I need.

Rich Aldrich
12-27-2019, 11:05 PM
I always consider:
1) I am not sitting in a bar spending a lot of money on expensive alcohol. You can buy a 12 pack for the price of a couple of beers in a bar.
2) a lot of people have more wrapped up in snowmobiles which can be used in my area 12 weeks of the year if they are lucky
3) I can make things fir others to pay for my tools and shop

It was more difficult in the years leading up to my girls going to college and when they were in college.

I definitely buy the tools I think are quality. Made a few mistakes in the beginning and found in the long run it is less expensive to buy once.

John Goodin
12-27-2019, 11:37 PM
Your post is far from “a bit odd” at least I hope not. I think a lot of people in all kinds of hobbies feel the same way before Christmas. I justify it by saying that I don’t hunt, fish, golf or drink and that my skills can be used around the house but like you the guilt still hits. It usually goes away come January when a life returns to a more “normal” state.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-27-2019, 11:51 PM
Thanks guys.

It's good to hear that most don't consider investing too much in quality tools wasteful or something to feel guilty about.

I have never spent more than I can afford and have not taken on any debt to do so. In fact I am debt free. I also don't drink, smoke, spend money eating out or on clothes, cars, etc etc. I get very focussed on one thing. However, I suppose that there is no such thing as too much money and buying anything is at the expense of something else, now or in the future. So I suppose sometimes I think - have I indulged too much in this interest/passion vs possibly saving that money/investing it for the future. That said I do like to think of the woodworking tools I have as an investment, in my mental wellbeing, personal growth, and possibly even some sort of income producing venture in the future - but sometimes I think that maybe i'm just kidding myself and should be more responsible with my money for the long-term.

Perhaps it's as other have said the best way is to buy tools when you need them for a particular project. I have a habbit of thinking of a future project and realising i'd need a particular tool(s) to accomplish some aspect of that project, and then fixate on aquiring that capability - even if I don't end up needing it for a long while. Something about knowing I "can" build anything I can conceive of and the freedom that provides in terms of mental freedom to plan projects, even ones I may never get around to - is very nice. I think the guilt comes in waves, particularly when I've just bought a bunch of stuff and when I haven't completed a project in a while - then it feels kind of over-indulgent and maybe greedy or wasteful - I can't quite find the words to explain it. Perhaps it's even that spending money on a high-end fancy hand tool that isn't a neccesity when others are unable to buy basics feels somehow wrong or something to feel embarrased about rather than proud of. Although there are of course many millions/billions of people with more and who spend more etc so I suppose it's all relative.

At least buying quality that lasts and can be passed down is far better than consumption in the sense of buying stuff that consumes resources only to end up in landfill etc.

Sorry, rambling a bit.

Cheers, Dom

Derek Cohen
12-28-2019, 3:59 AM
Dom, one of the reasons for guilt is the sensitivity that affordability (of tools) is relative to the wide range of fori membership. Some can and others cannot afford to purchase their dreams. Some deal with this by continuing to dream, and others by justifying their own choices (positively or negatively). There will always be those with less and those with more.

Remain tolerant to those who have more, and be sensitive to those who have less.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-28-2019, 4:37 AM
Dom, one of the reasons for guilt is the sensitivity that affordability (of tools) is relative to the wide range of fori membership. Some can and others cannot afford to purchase their dreams. Some deal with this by continuing to dream, and others by justifying their own choices (positively or negatively). There will always be those with less and those with more.

Remain tolerant to those who have more, and be sensitive to those who have less.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hi Derek.

Yeah I think you are right. Not just regarding sensitivity to Forum members and Tools specifically but more broadly to everyone. I can't imagine what really wealthy people who may be indulging in excesses feel in this regard.

I think you are right too, that being sensitive to others is important. Sometimes I can lose sight of that in my excitement over something new - and it isn't a pleasant feeling.

Cheers, Dom

Jacob Reverb
12-28-2019, 7:27 AM
I think one of the reasons I can justify buying tools/machinery to do my various crafts (woodworking, welding, upholstery, etc.) is that I can tell myself, "Hey, if I lose my job, I can always use my tools to make money."

Now if I could only find a way to justify buying equipment for my other hobbies like hunting and fishing!

Matt Day
12-28-2019, 7:49 AM
I get where you’re coming from, and have been there. Those feelings for me came from really wanting something, getting it, then wondering why I got it because it never got use. That’s why I and some other have new in box tools laying around. I only have a couple things but still.

The way I’ve gotten over those feelings, is buying used and waiting for good deals. I fix up most of my machines which is why they were cheap.

Zachary Hoyt
12-28-2019, 8:39 AM
Buying a tool for a specific job works pretty well for me, but there are times when it's awkward. I bought a used Reliant shaper for $300 to put tongues and grooves on 100 pine 1x6 boards that I had been drying for a year or two to replace the floor in a 14x20 room in an old house. The jointer was cheaper than buying plywood to cover that whole room, and the floor is much prettier. The 1x6 were almost free since they came from small trees I was thinning in an overgrown pine plantation, and we already had the sawmill, but now it has been 3 years since I used the shaper, it just sits out in the loft. I can't seem to decide whether to sell it again or save it for an eventual time when we might want to make more flooring or do something else that needs it. I feel something like guilt for leaving it there, but I hope it will retain the little value it has so that at whatever time I decide to use it or sell it those will still be good options.

Brian Holcombe
12-28-2019, 9:00 AM
You’re just putting people to work who make quality things, nothing to be guilty about.

Jack Frederick
12-28-2019, 9:17 AM
I think the problem as you gear up for a "hobby" is compulsive buying. The pros situation is entirely different...well, depending upon the pro;) Essentially, you don't know what you don't know and you can fall prey to the coolest looking do-dad. You do this of course with a smile on your face and a song in your heart...and then it sits and you wonder why. It's kind of funny, if you have the resources to support it. A problem when you do not. Tool selection is a part of the craft. I don't jump at tool purchases now. Certainly I still buy, but prior to doing so I try to figure out how to do the task with what I have. Then I go buy it;)

Jim Becker
12-28-2019, 9:45 AM
I do not feel guilty about any of my tool purchases. They have never impacted my life or family in any negative way and they have for the most part always been paid for up front. I think Brian's point is also well stated...others benefit from our purchases, too. Of course, another thread about mis-guided purchases also resonates. Almost nobody as avoided making a poor decision at some point. We're all human after all.

Doug Dawson
12-28-2019, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys.

It's good to hear that most don't consider investing too much in quality tools wasteful or something to feel guilty about.

I have never spent more than I can afford and have not taken on any debt to do so. In fact I am debt free. I also don't drink, smoke, spend money eating out or on clothes, cars, etc etc. I get very focussed on one thing. However, I suppose that there is no such thing as too much money and buying anything is at the expense of something else, now or in the future. So I suppose sometimes I think - have I indulged too much in this interest/passion vs possibly saving that money/investing it for the future. That said I do like to think of the woodworking tools I have as an investment, in my mental wellbeing, personal growth, and possibly even some sort of income producing venture in the future - but sometimes I think that maybe i'm just kidding myself and should be more responsible with my money for the long-term.

Perhaps it's as other have said the best way is to buy tools when you need them for a particular project. I have a habbit of thinking of a future project and realising i'd need a particular tool(s) to accomplish some aspect of that project, and then fixate on aquiring that capability - even if I don't end up needing it for a long while. Something about knowing I "can" build anything I can conceive of and the freedom that provides in terms of mental freedom to plan projects, even ones I may never get around to - is very nice. I think the guilt comes in waves, particularly when I've just bought a bunch of stuff and when I haven't completed a project in a while - then it feels kind of over-indulgent and maybe greedy or wasteful - I can't quite find the words to explain it.

You could look at it as an investment in hope, that you should live long enough to be able to get full use of the tool. This can have a good impact on the rest of your life, such as eating right, driving safely, etc. The one thing that I would be most concerned with is how it affects your ability to save for retirement, but then again, a decent tool purchase is a one-time thing. Then again, compound interest... I'm retired, so that's not a concern for me.

Frederick Skelly
12-28-2019, 10:27 AM

Derek, this is so well said that I'm going to post it in my home. Truly a valuable reminder for me across the board.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Fred

Mick Simon
12-28-2019, 10:58 AM
Part of the learning curve with most hobbies is getting a feel for what you do and don't need. Shiny new objects appear all the time and most of use are guilty of taking the bait, only to wonder why later. Just glance at the used astronomy or photography equipment on line and you'll see that our hobby is no worse than others.
I have a woodworker friend who has gone back and forth over whether to get a Domino vs other means of making M&T joints. I invited him to come down for a demo of 4 different methods, Domino, my version of the Morley router mortiser, PM hollow chisel mortiser and drill press and chisel. In the end he agreed that the Domino suited his needs better than any of the others. He did his research and he'll be happy once the credit card has been paid off. The education went a long way toward easing his guilt.
Many of us have reached the point that we buy tools for life. Once I reached that point all guilt stopped. I remind myself that I'm at home, being productive, not sitting in a bar or in a psychiatrist's office. My hobby has led me to making some of the best friends I have. All in all, I'd say it's got a pretty good ROI.

Mark Rainey
12-28-2019, 5:43 PM
I remind myself that I'm at home, being productive, not sitting in a bar or in a psychiatrist's office.
Well said Nick!

Derek Cohen
12-28-2019, 5:48 PM
I remind myself that I'm at home, being productive, not sitting in a bar or in a psychiatrist's office.

Oy ... how do you think I paid for my tools? :)

Regards from a freezing Prague

Derek

Richard Coers
12-28-2019, 5:58 PM
All my tools and machinery have paid for themselves, often many times over. The only one that didn't was a laser engraver. I just didn't market that well. Times have changed in the 47 years I've been woodworking. The used machinery market around here has really taken a hit. At one time I actually thought my machinery would bring the same of more than I paid for it. The import tool market and reduced number of young woodworkers has made machinery a poor investment now. The wife is really worried about the disposal of a life time of collection. That is really my only concern right now, especially after a hospital stay and health scare in June. So about to start labeling things, organizing a bit, and try to keep working. I always compare my hobby to a bass boat. Maybe about the same money for investment over a lifetime, but I get a hell of a lot better money selling furniture and artistic turnings than they do selling fish.

Lisa Starr
12-28-2019, 7:07 PM
I haven't had much guilt over the years, but have had some buyer's remorse. (I don't think it is the same thing). The vast majority of my tools have come to me 2nd or 3rd or 4th hand and I've invested a lot more time than money for those items. My purchases of new machinery, I could easily count on one hand, and each of those were made when unable to locate a suitable used version. My remorse on the other hand, is the feeling that maybe I paid too much for an item after getting it home. Fortunately, even after finding myself on disability at age 56, we are able to afford my purchases without "stealing" from other important financial matters.

Carroll Courtney
12-28-2019, 8:00 PM
Hi guys,

Cheers, Dom
I think your in good company,and not along,its a common issue with lot of us.Like yourself being budget minded I always shop for used,and some of those machines needed lot of TLC which the price reflect that.Which is how I aquired so much cause the deals are out there if you shop.If you were near me I could fix you up with Unisaw,shaper,BS etc since I am down sizing due to looking for place that tax friendly.But having those machines is easy,its finding time to use them and not spread yourself out so thin by watching all those showing while telling yourself"I want to do that"That was my downfall.Wanting to make cabinets,make furniture,veneer work,inlay,wood carving,etc Woodworking choices is so huge its easy to get loss will all those ideals so try to stay on maybe the smaller projects and get good at it.Enjoy the hobby:)

Rick Potter
12-29-2019, 4:50 AM
My motto: Anticipation always exceeds realization.

Pete Staehling
12-29-2019, 6:22 AM
It hasn't been a problem for me since my tools were all paid for by my the work from my shop. The shop has always been at least self supporting or shown a profit. I am retired and struggle to keep from having it become a "real" business and all that entails.

I don't think tool purchases would be a problem even if the shop wasn't financially self supporting as long as I put the tools to good use and bought only what I could reasonably afford. Now if I was buying well beyond my means or buying tools and not putting them to good use that would be a problem.

I do know some guys who spend way beyond what their budget really should support and barely find time to use their tools to the extent that for me it would be a problem. Maybe they need it for their mental health and maybe their families are supportive though. I guess everyone needs to decide where to draw that line.

johnny means
12-29-2019, 11:49 PM
I often feel guilty for making myself struggle with or wasting time with a task when I could have bought a new tool and been more productive. Imo, the greatest sin I can commit is wasting human capital. Money comes and goes, time just goes.

Patrick Walsh
12-30-2019, 12:46 AM
I couldn’t agree more.

My opinion is so long as I’m not hurting anyone and so long as I do as much good for others as I do for myself.

Life it to short to double guess this or that. If something makes you happy do it. If something evokes suffering stop.

so
I often feel guilty for making myself struggle with or wasting time with a task when I could have bought a new tool and been more productive. Imo, the greatest sin I can commit is wasting human capital. Money comes and goes, time just goes.

Bob Jones 5443
12-30-2019, 2:46 AM
2019 was a year of turbocharged tool acquisition for me. OMG: It all started about fifty weeks ago with the week in North Devon with Mr. C which was worth ten times the cost. Next, the 1931 Bailey 5-1/2 and the 1922 Bed Rock No. 607. Spare irons all around (4 in total). Four hundred bucks to convert my Delta dust collector into a whole-shop cyclone system with a new Wynn filter. A Starrett 385-24 straight edge and a set of precision plastic shims to help with the use of winding sticks and tool setup. Three spokeshaves and tomorrow I’m going to Ft. Bragg to buy two replacement irons for the 151 and 151R from Ron Hock’s shop. Holy cow: a Tormek T8. A handheld 50X scope to inspect cutting edges while honing. A pair of holdfasts. Numerous trips to Rockler for odds and ends. Another 5/4 cherry board because there was too much sapwood in the stick I was going to use for the door on my cabinet build. A few weeks of quiet, and then my first band saw. A Jessem Mast-R-Lift II and a hundred bucks for materials to build a new table saw side table to house the lift. A Veritas marking gauge with the fine tuning knob.

I use everything I bought this year, and I looked carefully for the highest quality and best price for each tool before I bought. But it’s also true that I have some items purchased long ago that have sat unused for years, like my Kreg pocket hole jig, the mortising attachment for the drill press, the circular saw, and jig saw. I have moved to different joinery and cutting methods, so I kind of forget I have them.

Yes, I’ve felt guilty about my 2019 spending spree. But when I pick up me super-smoother 5-1/2 and it immediately whisks off a gossamer shaving, when I can rough-plane and thickness on the jointer and planer and quickly bring a board to mirror smooth and flat with the hand planes, what I mostly feel is pride in my growing skill and in the care and judgment that went into selecting each tool for its quality and purpose.

Derek Cohen
12-30-2019, 4:02 AM
Bob, just think .... now that the 2019 buying spree is almost over, there is the 2020 buying spree to look forward to ... then 2021 .. 2022 .. 2023 ..... :)

I love great tool design almost as much as great furniture design. I have good tools to last a few lifetimes. But that does not stop the appreciation when something better/new comes out. The task then is to take a deep breath and decide whether it is necessary or just desired ... and justify that it is needed :)

Regards from Prague (off to purchase a warmer jacket)

Derek

Carl Crout
12-30-2019, 10:09 AM
Being German, I was taught to be frugal. I can still remember most of the purchases I bought as a teenager and young adult because my dad would always say "boy, you need to save your money". When my dad retired and my folks started traveling to Europe, Alaska, etc and spending lots of money I started spending too. I had a Morton building shop built in 2002. Dad said I was being extravagant especially when I put in an Oneida dust collection system and air conditioning and heat and then started filling it with nice Delta and Jet tools. He made a comment and I said "you spend your money on vacations and I spent mine on tools". He never said too much after that. On a cold rainy day we were in my shop working on one of his projects (as our other shop is uninsulated and cold). I said "so you like my shop now, huh?"

I still fret and struggle over any purchase I make. I have had a 6" Jet jointer for 17 years and finally broke down and bought a 8" Jet. Also finally bought a belt/disc sander. Looking at a new bandsaw as well.

I feel guilty spending the money because I might need it for a rainy day. That was how I was brought up and I don't think it will ever change

Jim Becker
12-30-2019, 10:41 AM
Carl, I was brought up to save money, too...it's the primary reason I was able to retire at age 60 two years ago and still have an income that's not much different than when I was working. But I was also taught the value of investing, and not just in the financial sense around accumulating money. My parents never spent lavishly and also saved...which was fortunate because my dad was forced to retire at age 50 due to health reasons and lived to 87. (mom is still going at 89) When they did make a purchase, it was carefully considered and never decided on price alone. I took that to heart when I acquire things like tools, cooking gear, cameras, etc...I place a high mark on quality, durability and capability, not just for the perceived immediate need but into the future. I learned some lessons from my early tool buying as I got into this woodworking thing in the late 1990s and decided not to repeat them for future purchases. So I don't feel guilty when I do make a move on something...I generally have already considered all the angles and make the purchase because I determined it was the right thing to do.

Patrick Kane
12-30-2019, 11:31 AM
I had similar feelings when I first started at 23. I remember agonizing over the cost of a $300+/- Dewalt job site saw as my first tool purchase after a $75 Dewalt mitersaw off craigslist. I ended up deciding I could get by with a circular saw, because it was cheaper. Bad decision, I ended up having to buy the table saw anyway. Those were two of the three power tools I’ve purchased new and at retail. From that moment, I began generating income with my tools, and I never felt guilty about another tool purchase.

As long as you have the means, why feel guilty? To a point, this hobby has a somewhat high barrier to entry. I know someone can probably point to some primitive hermit on YouTube making furniture with only an axe, but I can’t imagine working without a modest table saw, jointer, planer, and basic hand tools. While the initial investment is comparatively high, I find the return to be immense. I’ve made all the furniture for our house, which would have been $10k+ if we purchased similar quality pieces from a store. From cutting boards to pizza peels and everything in between, I’ve made a ton of usable items for ourselves and my family. The equipment you acquire isn’t just useful for furniture and craft items, I saved a ton of money by purchasing rough cedar from the sawmill and planing it at home for the deck years ago.

Lastly, depending on how you purchase, it’s comforting to know you can recoup some if not all of the initial investment. I’ve made a few OK purchases through the years and many fantastic ones. It was unusual for me not to make a modest increase as I sold and upgraded tools. Even now, I think I could get out of my shop in 3 months for 20% more than I have in it. It’s hard to say the same for cars, latest and greatest tech, or booze. I have a lot tied up in my shop, relatively speaking, but I tell everyone that marvels at my setup that I received the same enjoyment and fulfillment from making things with my miter saw all those years ago as I do with my Felder saw today. Things are just easier, faster, and better today. The expensive equipment doesn’t really make you enjoy it more, just makes the enjoyment faster and easier.

Mark Hockenberg
12-30-2019, 12:07 PM
Hi Dom,

First of all - I don't think your post is odd at all. At times, I've felt more satisfaction from the process leading up to a purchase than owning and using the item purchased. This goes beyond tools to other "stuff".

Give yourself a break - You avoid vices and haven't put your family at risk by spending money on tools.

There is so much great advice above, as is common on this forum. I think the best advice is to wait to buy a tool until you need it. I try not to buy tools because I think I'll use it, or because it's cool.

I got pretty obsessed with buying a Festool MFK 700 router, arguably a specialty tool. I just used it on a project and it and got amazing results that I couldn't achieve with anything else - That made it worth it for me.

Another way to feel good about tool purchases is to give back. I recently mentored a young man who expressed an interest in woodworking who had never tried it before. I encouraged him to come up with a project and helped him build it. He and I were both grinning ear to ear for six straight weekends. You can also give your seldom used tools to someone who is struggling to afford them.

Compared to so many other hobbies, woodworking is relatively inexpensive. It's all relative.

Best wishes for a Healthy Happy New Year to you and everyone on the forum.

Cheers,
Mark

Charles P. Wright
12-30-2019, 1:44 PM
After purchasing my jointer/planer combo (to replace separates), I had a bit of this feeling. I could afford it, without hurting our families finances. However, after having used it over the last couple of years that has totally gone away. I can do things that I could not have with my 6" jointer, and enjoy using it. When I was first putting together my shop, I would buy things "just because" particularly if they were on sale [I was lucky that Home Depot was phasing out most stationary tools and I got the jointer, planer, and table saw all on clearance].

Now, I mainly am buying things to do one project, or upgrading something I already have to address some (perceived at least) shortcoming. If I'm buying something, it's getting used. I don't feel guilty about a tool that I use, even if it will never "pay" for itself.

Roger Feeley
12-30-2019, 3:44 PM
I always consider:
1) I am not sitting in a bar spending a lot of money on expensive alcohol. You can buy a 12 pack for the price of a couple of beers in a bar.
2) a lot of people have more wrapped up in snowmobiles which can be used in my area 12 weeks of the year if they are lucky
3) I can make things fir others to pay for my tools and shop

It was more difficult in the years leading up to my girls going to college and when they were in college.

I definitely buy the tools I think are quality. Made a few mistakes in the beginning and found in the long run it is less expensive to buy once.

My variant of this argument is, "I don't drink, smoke, gamble or fool around". My only vice is tools or, more broadly, the equipment necessary to make stuff. I'm told that our younger generation has eschewed 'stuff' in favor of 'experiences'. I buy tools for the experience of making things so I guess I'm ahead of my time.

Osvaldo Cristo
12-31-2019, 7:12 PM
It looks you already have tools enough for some time. What if you purchase some solid wood for a few projects?

The pleasure to use tools can be so good as acquire them... I say it from experience!

Frederick Skelly
12-31-2019, 7:28 PM
It looks you already have tools enough for some time. What if you purchase some solid wood for a few projects?

I was thinking about just what you suggest, earlier today! :) :) :)

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-31-2019, 8:08 PM
Wow. Sorry I haven't responded in a little while and there have been so many inciteful, constructive comments, thankyou.

It seems that some people get the same feelings I do from time to time and others feel no guilt about buying tools at all - however, that is often because they apply them to a business, buy only what they genuinely need when they need it, or get a lot of use out of what they purchase.

To clarify, I am not under financial pressure, at least no more than an average person, and I have been buying quality tools rather than cheap junk that will need to be replaced. I believe most of my tools are lifetime tools and I've bought my last tools first for the most part (short of a major change in my life or building a genuine business that requires larger machinery). So no regrets there.

I think the times I feel anxious are when I've bought tools that I didn't need so much as want, and when I look at all that I have accumulated and the associated cost and the fact I feel I haven't really put all of those tools to a heap of work- particularly fancy, more niche hand tools.

I don't even tell my friends or family (aside from my wife) when I acquire a new tool i'm excited by anymore, and certainly not what they cost - as I feel like it's kind of embarrasing and because I grew up in a poor family and my parents didn't have cash to splash so it feels kind of wrong to buy luxury tools etc. I think that goes back to what Derek said about being sensitive to other's and how that can make you feel if you are not - and I know i'm guilty of that in the past.

Anyway thanks for the ongoing discussion and interesting perspectives.

I will certainly be putting all of my tools to good productive use over my lifetime - that's for sure!

Cheers, Dom

Jim Becker
01-01-2020, 9:26 AM
Dom, I think the best way to think about this is regardless of hobby or business, think of tools as an investment and "investment" isn't just about money. It's also about time, capability, ease of use and pleasure.

Rob Luter
01-01-2020, 9:48 AM
You’re just putting people to work who make quality things, nothing to be guilty about.

I like that. Hoping my wife will see it that way too :rolleyes: