PDA

View Full Version : Work holding with a bench

Tom Bussey
12-27-2019, 8:45 PM
First and foremost, if you build a bench you can build it anyway you want to. And you can spent a thousand dollars on vise screws or like me spend less that $175 for 4 main vises. Also I am not a fan of roubo benches but if you are go for it. There is nothing wrong with it. It is I just prefer a different style.

As I stated, I prefer a tail vise and a shoulder vise. I do not especially care for front vises, they can rack without spacers. I see no advantage to a end vise, A lot of people swear by the twin screw vise, which is an end vise but I see no real advantage to it The tail vise does the same thing as an end vise, and my dog holes are in line and I can clamp with the tail vise and the wagon vise at the same time. Basically the same as an end vise, if I had to.

I write and eat left handed, I bat and throw right handed and there have been more that I care to remember in my 50 years of woodworking that I wished to clamp left handed but couldn't until this bench. One person said the being right handed he would make bot sides right handed. Without thinking I did that on my previous bench. And in 4 year I had it I never walked around to the other side to use it because other than having a ley vise instead of a shoulder vise it was the same. Planning stops and bench dogs basically do the same thing except the dogs also have down clamping were as planning stops only stop and offer no clamping or work holding.

Anyway i'll let the pictures speak for them selves.

422305 422306 422307 422308 422309 422310422311422312

Jim Matthews
12-27-2019, 9:00 PM
The "variable Moxxon" is clever.

It must suck, cleaning a shop in an aircraft hanger.

Tom Bussey
12-27-2019, 9:22 PM
A continuation, I also have 3/4 holes in the side of the tail vise for round dogs because I couldn't get holes for holdfasts, see first picture. Other things one can do on the bench, bear in mind some were taken while the bench was being built. And on the last one the whole bottom of the tool tray slides out for cleaning and clamping. Only the ends need to be opened for brushing the what ever out of the tool tray. I also have bench hooks and a shooting board and an end stop when using a plate jointer but they fit on the top not part of the bench. didn't mean to get themoxon in again.

422318 422319 422320422321

Norman Pirollo
12-30-2019, 9:46 AM
Put this together recently to address using a twin-screw vise or an end vise as a tail vise .. This to eliminate the gap betwen the outer jaw and the bench and to give it functionality much like a tail vise. Also removes racking issues and issue of clamping boards for long edge to hang off bench (drawer bottom grooves), etc.) Working well so far. Norman

Robert Engel
12-30-2019, 9:55 AM
That is one massive bench and I really like it, especially the wide built in moxon. I am in agreement with you re: shoulder and tail vise. I built the Klausz version of the Scandinavian bench must because it suits my methods of work so well.

Not a big fan of the quick release face or end vises, but saying that, they serve their purposes, too.

Working at my bench now for a few years, I've concluded the tool well is more nuisance and useful. Seems all it does is collect shavings, and hide marking gauges, pencils, marking knives, hardware etc. etc.

Removing it entirely and widening the bench is very tempting.

My tail vise is sagging a bit I will eventually modify it to accept a quick release hardware version.