PDA

View Full Version : The Wall

John Bailey
12-19-2005, 8:47 PM
Just a short update to my shop project. This is the first of the four walls. It's all tongue and groove and it makes me see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for looking.

John

Jim Dunn
12-19-2005, 8:56 PM
Real nice John. That's going to make nice shop wall's. What kind of wood is it?

Jim

Corey Hallagan
12-19-2005, 9:58 PM
Looking great John, won't be long now!

Corey

Frank Pellow
12-19-2005, 9:59 PM
It looks good John (not as good as the outside diagonal wood, but good nevertheless). My guess is that the wood is pine.

John Miliunas
12-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Wow! That's some tunnel you got there, my friend!:D Lookin' good. Lookin' real good!!!:) :cool:

Jay Knoll
12-19-2005, 10:07 PM
Looking good John! Let's see, sand to 220, then seal with 50% mineral spirits 50% varnish, knock down with 320, do 6 more coats of varnish, sanding in between and then you're ready for the next wall!

Jay

Bernie Weishapl
12-20-2005, 12:28 AM
Looks mighty good John. It will be mighty nice when finished.

Jim Becker
12-20-2005, 2:59 PM
That's going to be a lovely place to work, John. I really like the look of natural wood!

Glenn Clabo
12-20-2005, 3:07 PM
John...
Looks great. I really like the fact that the first things mounted on the wall were speakers. Music in the shop, for me, makes it feel right.

Vaughn McMillan
12-20-2005, 5:07 PM
Looking good, John. Looks like a lot of work, but the end result should be worth it. Can't wait to see the completed shop pics.

BTW, you might consider blowing the sawdust off your camera lens...DAMHIKT ;)

- Vaughn

John Bailey
12-20-2005, 5:38 PM
Jim,

It's pine. The local lumber yard sells it for $.30 a foot when they want to get rid of it. I got all they had and saved a bunch.

Frank,

Two of the walls are going to be diagonal. I thought it would look better if the lines weren't all the same in the shop.

Jay,

Won't be no stinkin' sandin'.

Glen,

Yup, gotta' have the music going. I've been saving those B&W speakers just for this project. Sometimes I just go out there, sit, and listen. It wasn't planned for this, but the acoustics worked out pretty well.

Vaughn,

That's actually dried water from all day taking pictures while backcountry skiing. I guess I still should have wiped it off.

Thanks to all for looking.

John

tod evans
12-20-2005, 5:44 PM
nice looking shop john! gotta have music.

John Bailey
12-21-2005, 9:07 AM
Todd,

One of the CD's I keep in the player is one from your neck of the woods. A friend of mine from Mt. View plays in a group called "Leatherwoods." I play it often and it reminds me of when I spent a lot of time down in Arkansas.

John

tod evans
12-21-2005, 9:09 AM
fyi john, you inspired a thread, stereos in the shop:) the daredevils are cranking right now. tod

john whittaker
12-21-2005, 9:15 AM
John, This is going to be a great shop...thanks for the update. And good to see the old DeWalt still crankin out the good work. Are you planning on storing any kayaks in this space? They would look great hanging from the ceiling...like wood art.
Excellent work

Frank Pellow
12-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Frank,
Two of the walls are going to be diagonal. I thought it would look better if the lines weren't all the same in the shop.
John
Glad to hear it. I am sure that the ombination will look good.

John Bailey
12-21-2005, 3:05 PM
John W.,

Won't be storing any kayaks. I had 9 and a nice trailer, sold them all to build the shop. However, one of the first projects will be a cedar strip 17'9" sea kayak.

John