PDA

View Full Version : Sorby Crushgrind tool question

David Castonguay
12-27-2019, 2:37 PM
Hi folks:

I have just completed my first three pepper mills with Crushgrind mechanisms. I used the Sorby specialty tool for cutting installation grooves for the mechanism in the mill body and the mill head.

installing the mechanism in the mill body was smooth and it locked in solid. However, when installing the mechanism in the mill head it snaps in; but it rotates and does not lock in place. For these three mills I secured the mill head mechanisms with an epoxy so the pepper mills work fine.

I'm just wondering what I am missing? I used the correct size Forstner bit, cut the groove with the Sorby tool to the correct line. It snaps in, but still rotates.

Any suggestions are gladly welcomed.

Happy New Year!

DOC

Allan Dozier
06-15-2020, 9:08 PM
Timely to me. I was looking over instructions today for crushgrind mills. I looked over the instructions that came with the mechanism, the book by JR Beal, two Youtube videos: by Woodshop and another by Craft Supplies. There were differences on all four on the diameter and depths of the drilling. Some of it depends on whether you intend to press it in and use the tabs or intend to use epoxy. But aside from that there still is variation on dimensions. For your cap for instance some directions say 15/16", others say 3/4". I think I am going to use some scrap pine for my first one and then decide! Let me know what you end of finding.

Allan Dozier
06-15-2020, 9:11 PM
BTW I bought the Sorby tool also in anticipation of not using glue.

Timothy Thorpe Allen
06-17-2020, 7:06 PM
I am gearing up for this, too, haven't done it yet, but recently read that the 1-1/16" drill size recommended for the cap is too big -- you really need 26 mm. Or drill 1" and then just enlarge the hole slightly with a scraper or something.

John King
06-17-2020, 11:05 PM
Check out Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Mills​ by Chris West. There's a chapter on "Drilling and Fitting a CrushGrind@ Mechanism". It's available at https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Salt-Pepper-Shakers-Mills/dp/1600853986. In my opinion, this is the definitive book on how to make salt and pepper mills. - John

Dave Fritz
06-18-2020, 9:47 AM
Check out Turning Salt & Pepper Shakers and Mills​ by Chris West. There's a chapter on "Drilling and Fitting a CrushGrind@ Mechanism". It's available at https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Salt-Pepper-Shakers-Mills/dp/1600853986. In my opinion, this is the definitive book on how to make salt and pepper mills. - John

I second that and would add if you have any questions contact Chris, he's very friendly and seems to enjoy visiting. He's also a retired engineer so really is detailed on his plans and directions. Good advice John.