PDA

View Full Version : 45 deg elbow that uses PEX clinch rings

Stephen Tashiro
12-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Is there an online seller of PEX pipe fittings that sells a 45 degree elbow that takes clinch rings? I'd like such fittings for 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch diameter pipes.

I can find 45 degree elbows using the Sharkbite push-connect system. I can find such elbows for the Uphonor expander ring system. - but no luck when it comes to a 45 for clinch rings, even at pexuniverse.

Lisa Starr
12-27-2019, 12:46 PM
I know Zurn makes such a fitting, and that Grainger is a Zurn distributor. Who knows if they'll show them on their website, but a quick call may solve your problem.

Stephen Tashiro
12-27-2019, 4:03 PM
I called Zurn and their technical support for PEX said they don't make 45 degree elbows.

Perry Hilbert Jr
12-28-2019, 11:25 AM
45 degree elbows are not a common item for a flexible tubing system like PEX. I installed pex in the old farm house we had and used a few. (around 2004 and 5) What I installed took the crimp rings. IIRC I got them from a local Lowes. (A buddy of mine has a water damage clean up repair company and he says shark bites keep him in business. So many leaks turn catastrophic. ) Never had a leak with the pex crimp system. Even put radiant heat under the first floor. And used PEX to connect the hot water radiators to the heating system.

Mark Bolton
12-28-2019, 3:44 PM
Its called a heat gun if it needs to be tight. Why in the heck would you want two leak paths when you can run pex like wire?

Stephen Tashiro
12-29-2019, 4:08 PM
Its called a heat gun if it needs to be tight.

The would be ok for type A PEX, but in my location, the commonly available PEX is type B.

Bruce Wrenn
12-29-2019, 8:34 PM
Could you use a copper 45, with two sweat in PEX adapters?

Jim Becker
12-30-2019, 9:48 AM
Could you use a copper 45, with two sweat in PEX adapters?

That's a good idea, honestly.

Were it me, I'd just use a SharkBite 45º and be done with it...I've had zero issues with that system, but I do appreciate that many don't prefer them. A lot of the issues with that system seem to revolve around folks not fully seating things, a mistake I made a few times at first myself.

Mark Bolton
12-30-2019, 11:46 AM
The would be ok for type A PEX, but in my location, the commonly available PEX is type B.

There's no reason you can't warm PEX B just like you can PEX A to get it to make a tighter bend than it wants to at room temperature. The only difference with PEX B is if you do kink it you're sunk. But you could still warm PEX B tremendously and get it to make a very tight Bend and then let it cool just don't kink it.

Nike Nihiser
12-30-2019, 8:42 PM
My local Lowe's has them

Stephen Tashiro
01-01-2020, 12:43 PM
There's no reason you can't warm PEX B just like you can PEX A to get it to make a tighter bend .

I agree that warming PEX B makes it more pliable, but I haven't found any manufacturer's literature that recommends doing it with a heat gun. Is there information about what temperature to use? What I'd call a gentle warming (e.g. putting it in a warm room) doesn't help much in bending PEX B or straightening out PEX B that comes in a coil. How hot can we get the pipe without degrading it?

I find that a heat gun is useful is in removing PEX from brass fittings, but after that is done, the tip of the PEX pipe can be cut off before attaching a new fitting.

Stephen Tashiro
01-01-2020, 12:46 PM
My local Lowe's has them

Are you talking about 45 degree elbows for PEX that are for clench rings? - or about 45 degree elbows for PEX that are press-on fittings? My local Lowes has 45 degree elbows that are Sharkbite press-on fittings. My question is about fittings for clench rings.

Mark Bolton
01-01-2020, 5:49 PM
I agree that warming PEX B makes it more pliable, but I haven't found any manufacturer's literature that recommends doing it with a heat gun. Is there information about what temperature to use? What I'd call a gentle warming (e.g. putting it in a warm room) doesn't help much in bending PEX B or straightening out PEX B that comes in a coil. How hot can we get the pipe without degrading it?

I find that a heat gun is useful is in removing PEX from brass fittings, but after that is done, the tip of the PEX pipe can be cut off before attaching a new fitting.

Pex is rated at 200 degrees water temp so that would be a starting point. Well beyond a warm room. There is not really an issue with degrading the pexB not that you couldnt cook it to death for sure, its just that it doesnt self heal/memory with heat like PEX A. At 200 degrees your not going to be touching it. I suppose if your really concerned and infrared thermometer would let you get it pretty warm. Ive honestly never once had a concern with heating pex with a heat gun and even a propane torch moving quickly when we have had to get it into some tight spots or I wanted to establish a nice decent bend without loading either leg heavily by just forcing it to the bend cold.

Good to be cautious but very easy to get stuck overthinking. Just put on a pair of gloves and get it good and warm and go on. You'll be fine.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-10-2020, 8:51 AM
It seems odd that you'd need a 45 degree elbow with pex. The flexibility of the stuff gives quite a lot of variance in planning the layouts. Maybe back up a step or two and fix whatever is forcing that type of fitting.