PDA

View Full Version : Possible new project - serving trays - questions

Brian Tymchak
12-26-2019, 9:30 PM
Hey all,

I may end up with a project to build several serving trays. Having never built one, I have a few basic questions.
Every tray plan I've viewed via Google seems to use a plywood bottom. However, the bottom of my trays would be solid wood, so there would be some seasonal movement across the panel.

So:

Are wood serving trays generally water tight? Seems like they should be able to contain a spill.
Given question 1 = yes, how might I handle expansion of the solid wood bottom panel?

Appreciate your help! Thanks

Mel Fulks
12-26-2019, 10:01 PM
Haven't seen any wood trays in use for a long time. Just looked them up and didn't see much. Melamine seems to be the
most popular type now. Most of the wood trays for sale are fine for use but certainly nothing elegant. Keeping one from
being destroyed is entirely dependent on a careful user. A good feature that isn't seen much now would be a pierced
decorative fence perimeter. You can find pics on antique tea tables.

jerry cousins
12-26-2019, 10:29 PM
I've made several serving trays - all with wood bottoms - none have been water tight - have never had a request for one that is water tight. I really don't think they are made for the accidental "big" spill - they're kinda like frame and panel doors - the bottom floats free. the sides are 1/2" and the bottom is 3/8".
the one pictured has a bottom of curly vg Doug fir, sides are mahogany and the surround is Peruvian walnut with holly inlays
jerry

Brian Tymchak
12-26-2019, 10:50 PM
Wow Jerry, that's really well done! Yea, if these don't have to hold liquids, then the frame/panel construction is the way to go.

thanks for the info!

Richard Coers
12-26-2019, 11:15 PM
Use quarter sawn lumber, it has very little expansion in the width.

Brian Tymchak
12-27-2019, 7:50 AM
Use quarter sawn lumber, it has very little expansion in the width.

Thanks for the tip Richard. Makes a lot of sense. As it turns out the bottom panels of some of the trays might feature some really nice crotch figure from the center of the tree, so that might work out really well.

Jim Becker
12-27-2019, 10:24 AM
You do have the option of using plywood cores and resawing the crotch figure into "thick veneer" for the look. The plywood provides stability and as long as the veneer is .0625" or less, give or take, there should be no issues with movement. The door panels for all the cabinetry in our 2008 addition (master bath, guest bath, wet bar) were all constructed that way and feature cherry crotch figure.

Ted Calver
12-27-2019, 4:37 PM
Jim has a good suggestion. As an example, these trays are just two of many we purchased back in the early nineties, when social obligations meant we hosted lots of parties, and have been in constant daily use since. Solid wood edge with veneered plywood bottoms just shy of 1/4" thick. IIRC they came from Thailand, or the Philippines. Very well made...we've only had one failure out of thirty trays. Very water resistant. I keep them treated with the same walnut oil/beeswax paste I use on bowls.

Günter VögelBerg
12-27-2019, 6:09 PM
Why solid wood? Are you comfortable working with unbacked veneer? I was afraid of it for years but when I added it to my skill set I found a whole new world of possibilities.

Phil Gaudio
12-27-2019, 6:20 PM
Here is a tray my son made recently: this was taken prior to finish sanding and finishing. As I recall, it was bloodwood and maple.

Brian Tymchak
12-28-2019, 9:59 AM
Jim has a good suggestion. As an example, these trays are just two of many we purchased back in the early nineties, when social obligations meant we hosted lots of parties, and have been in constant daily use since. Solid wood edge with veneered plywood bottoms just shy of 1/4" thick. IIRC they came from Thailand, or the Philippines. Very well made...we've only had one failure out of thirty trays. Very water resistant. I keep them treated with the same walnut oil/beeswax paste I use on bowls.

That's some good looking Trays Ted. Thanks for the post.

Brian Tymchak
12-28-2019, 10:00 AM
Here is a tray my son made recently: this was taken prior to finish sanding and finishing. As I recall, it was bloodwood and maple.

Also a very nice tray. Thanks for the post Phil.

Brian Tymchak
12-28-2019, 10:19 AM
Why solid wood? Are you comfortable working with unbacked veneer? I was afraid of it for years but when I added it to my skill set I found a whole new world of possibilities.

Gunter, et al,

I personally have not cut veneers before, although this could be a learning opportunity in that regard. Certainly would stretch the figured stock and the veneered panel would be more stable, so, OK, challenge accepted.

Will have to get the bandsaw guides upgrade finished. Lower guides appear to have a mis-manufactured mounting bracket. A bit disappointed with Rikon at the moment about that...

Appreciate all the responses! Thanks!

Lee Schierer
12-28-2019, 10:24 AM
I've made several serving trays some with plywood bottoms and others with solid wood. I've never worried about them being water tight, though the finish probably makes them leak resistant.
This one is made with a plywood bottom covered with ceramic tile. The grout for the tile was silicone sealant.422346

This tray has a solid ash bottom. 422347

This one is made from curly maple and has legs that fold and can be used to serve breakfast in bed. 422348

All of these trays are still in use.

Brian Tymchak
12-28-2019, 1:17 PM
Thanks Lee! Your post and suggestions and photos by the others are sparking the imagination a bit now that I'm past the central issue of how to construct the trays. The tray with the tiles is beautiful. ..And I may just have to steal the folding leg idea!

Dave VanDewerker
12-28-2019, 1:18 PM
I made some serving trays for Christmas gifts, since kids were going to be using them I wanted them waterproof. I used a veneered plywood for the bottoms and then poured a layer of epoxy to seal them and for extra protection.

Brian Tymchak
12-28-2019, 1:20 PM
A good feature that isn't seen much now would be a pierced
decorative fence perimeter. You can find pics on antique tea tables.

Thanks for the suggestion Mel. I will put some thought on this. I have an affinity for tea tables and never would have connected them to serving trays.

Brian Tymchak
12-28-2019, 1:27 PM
I made some serving trays for Christmas gifts, since kids were going to be using them I wanted them waterproof. I used a veneered plywood for the bottoms and then poured a layer of epoxy to seal them and for extra protection.

That veneer is spectacular! Epoxy, never considered that. Will give that some thought.

Thanks for the pics Dave.

Lee Schierer
12-28-2019, 3:45 PM
Thanks Lee! Your post and suggestions and photos by the others are sparking the imagination a bit now that I'm past the central issue of how to construct the trays. The tray with the tiles is beautiful. ..And I may just have to steal the folding leg idea!

The legs don't just fold, they lock in the up and down positions using some hickory springs.

Dave VanDewerker
12-28-2019, 4:14 PM
I really wish I new what the dark veneer is, it has been in my shop for about 20 years and the label was faded out so could not read it. The pictures really don't do them justice, I need to be a better photographer.

Ted Calver
12-28-2019, 4:30 PM
I made some serving trays for Christmas gifts...

Those are awesome, Dave!!

Günter VögelBerg
12-30-2019, 10:51 AM
Gunter, et al,

I personally have not cut veneers before, although this could be a learning opportunity in that regard. Certainly would stretch the figured stock and the veneered panel would be more stable, so, OK, challenge accepted.

Will have to get the bandsaw guides upgrade finished. Lower guides appear to have a mis-manufactured mounting bracket. A bit disappointed with Rikon at the moment about that...

Appreciate all the responses! Thanks!

You may check https://www.veneersupplies.com/

Joe is fantastic to work with and he has lots of great figured stuff at good prices.