PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Present Bowls

John Timberlake
12-19-2005, 7:40 PM
Since middle November, I have been turning bowls, hollow vessels, etc for Christmas presents. Here are few of the more interesting specimens.

The first is ash with walnut accents. The center is not hollowed all the way to bottom. Wanted to leave some heft so a dried arrangement would not tip over. Secon is box elder hollow form with about 1/4" walls. Third is catalpa with walnut accents. Fourth is ginko biloba hollowed to about 1/4" walls. Both the ash and ginko vessels have copper foil gilded to them and treated with sulfurated potash for patination. The walnut rims and bases (1 & 3) were added by creating mating holes and tenons so the glue would have long grain to hold to.

Travis Stinson
12-19-2005, 8:30 PM
All very nice. I really like the curl in the Catalpa, and the Walnut accents go great.

John Hart
12-19-2005, 8:32 PM
Wow....those are all really great John!!!! Hard to pick a favorite. Your foil work is pretty and intriguing...Not to mention I've never heard of it!!:o Just wonderful!! (I think I like the Ash/Walnut a little more than the rest....but not much:rolleyes: )

Bernie Weishapl
12-19-2005, 8:45 PM
Wow John. Those are beautiful. Those are some nice Christmas presents.

Dick Parr
12-19-2005, 8:50 PM
Very nice John, they all look great.:)

Ernie Nyvall
12-19-2005, 8:57 PM
Wow, those are all very nice John. I really like that swirl in the catalpa.

My neighbor has a catalpa that looks like it is dying hmmmm.

Ernie

Andy Hoyt
12-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Very cool. John. And that catalpa sure is busy! Well done.

Mark Cothren
12-19-2005, 11:55 PM
Nice set of turnings, John! I like 'em all, but like everybody else I'm kinda partial to the Catalpa.

Very nice! Thanks for the pictures!

Dennis Peacock
12-20-2005, 1:02 AM
Wonderful turnings John. You've been busy!!!! Very nice.

Chris Barton
12-20-2005, 7:22 AM
They all look great! I, like the other, really like the catalpa. And to think when I was a kid we would pick catapillars out of these trees to fish with.

Keith Burns
12-20-2005, 8:10 AM
All very nice John.:) :) I like the foil treatment as well.

Carole Valentine
12-20-2005, 9:08 AM
Nice work! I also like the Catalpa. The foil treatment is also interesting. have been playing with brass inlay, but the brass is just a little too stiff for my liking. Are you using the type of foil that is normally available in craft stores? Seems like that would be rather fragile. Is the copper band around the middle inlaid? What kind of glue did you use? Curious minds want to know!:D

Tyler Howell
12-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Real nice stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Ron Ainge
12-20-2005, 1:11 PM
I like all of the work but I am partial to the Box Elder, I like the red in that wood.

John Timberlake
12-20-2005, 2:37 PM
Nice work! I also like the Catalpa. The foil treatment is also interesting. have been playing with brass inlay, but the brass is just a little too stiff for my liking. Are you using the type of foil that is normally available in craft stores? Seems like that would be rather fragile. Is the copper band around the middle inlaid? What kind of glue did you use? Curious minds want to know!:D

The copper is VERY thin, like gold leaf. I took a class from David Marks at the Columbus Woodcraft store - not cheap but well worth it. I just masked off the a streak with tape and put the sizing and foil on. Then I used cheese cloth soaked in sulfurated potash to patinate the surface but leave some of the copper. Then I coated with shellac and lacquer.