PDA

View Full Version : What tools did Santa bring?

Frederick Skelly
12-25-2019, 9:48 PM
Got a (second) Milwaukee M12 Fuel Hammer Drill. (I think having two will be handy.)
Got a non-Fuel M12 Hackzall.

I got a couple gift cards too and will be using them at either Lee Valley (free shipping) or at HD for an M12 Fuel 5" Circular Saw.

It was a good day, full of family, friends and useful gifts. Hope yours was too.

Fred

Jacob Atwell
12-25-2019, 10:18 PM
Got a Bosch router kit, set of Narex chisels, and a set of engineers squares.

Steve Eure
12-26-2019, 5:55 AM
Received a 1/2" bowl gouge and other turning and sanding supplies. A month earlier my wife surprised me with nice Kodiak sharpening system from WoodturnersWonders. CBN wheels and all the jigs I needed. She took advantage of the eBay special on 24 month financing. A really nice system and a great upgrade for sharpening my turning tools. I thought I could sharpen on my WorkSharp 3000, but man let me tell you. It has nothing on this Kodiak. Excellence piece of equipment.

Rod Sheridan
12-26-2019, 6:50 AM
I received a Oneway Wolverine sharpening jig for my turning tools....Rod

Matthew Curtis
12-26-2019, 7:36 AM
I few router bits and a couple of dust collection accessories

Ole Anderson
12-26-2019, 8:10 AM
Porter Cable 20 volt sawsall, angle grinder and jigsaw. J-roller, file card, edge banding trimmer, Gator Zip sander.

Jim Becker
12-26-2019, 9:21 AM
Veritas drill bit depth guide was the one woodworking thing I received. I appreciate that it supports both metric and imperial; I work primarily in the former, but still have a need to support the latter for some clients. I did get another pair of what I use for "shop pants", although they are certainly worn well beyond my shop. :)

Paul F Franklin
12-26-2019, 9:24 AM
Santa brought a crank neck paring chisel, a Rockler router bit center/depth gauge, and a couple of Harbor Freight magnetic tool trays to hold tools/accessories near bandsaw, etc.

Tom M King
12-26-2019, 9:24 AM
A small vinyl cutter setup to label all my toolboxes, to replace all the computer printer labels, and other more pro looking signs.

Matt Day
12-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Santa didn’t bring me squat, because if I need/want a tool I buy it when I have the need/want instead of waiting for Christmas. Because as Darcy said in the other thread, Christmas is for the kids!

mark mcfarlane
12-26-2019, 10:19 AM
I received three different coffee making machines (Breville Nespresso, Keurig K-Cafe, and a no-name brewer) from out-of-town family. I just started drinking coffee when I retired and my family apparently wants to support my new addiction.

Not sure who's feelings I want to hurt by returning their gift, The no-name maker was destroyed in shipping so I may keep the other two. Nespresso pods are hard to come by in my area, one basically needs to order online.

Günter VögelBerg
12-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Veritas shooting plane

Doug Dawson
12-26-2019, 10:35 AM
Santa didn’t bring me squat, because if I need/want a tool I buy it when I have the need/want instead of waiting for Christmas. Because as Darcy said in the other thread, Christmas is for the kids!

Tools for Festivus are in my household an offshoot of the Airing of Grievances: "it would be nice to have that, it would save me a day's work on a project, but I'm not gonna buy it dammit." Hence the Festool DF500 Domino. And a Wilton drill press vise as an exercise accessory (but heck that thing is a really nice piece in person, actually.)

Bill Carey
12-26-2019, 11:04 AM
A Woodpecker square and 2 boxes of La Gloria Cubana Churchill's (a shop essential).

Günter VögelBerg
12-26-2019, 11:30 AM
A Woodpecker square and 2 boxes of La Gloria Cubana Churchill's (a shop essential).

We have a winner

ChrisA Edwards
12-26-2019, 11:45 AM
A Beall Buffing System, a Hunter Viceroy chisel and an invoice from American Express ( this confirms what I had previously thought, Santa is a Hoax :)).

Darcy Warner
12-26-2019, 1:16 PM

It's hard making sure my wife's parents don't get me anything. It took two years to get them to understand that whatever they were going to spend on me to just put it in my kids college accounts. I literally need nothing and want nothing. I am not important, give it to my kids, they deserve it.

Frederick Skelly
12-26-2019, 1:30 PM

I buy whenever I want to, too. Christmas is when I get stuff I'd "like" but can't quite justify myself into buying all year long. Got an LV Shooting plane that way a couple years back and a TFWW Bowsaw that way last year. I'm a happy guy.

Charles Taylor
12-26-2019, 1:53 PM

I see it similarly, that Christmas isn't about me. But I can't persuade my family to give me nothing, so I try to keep my wishes modest. As far as tools, this year Santa brought me the Veritas miniature router plane. I hope it'll be useful for detail hand work.

Frederick Skelly
12-26-2019, 1:59 PM
I see it similarly, that Christmas isn't about me. But I can't persuade my family to give me nothing, so I try to keep my wishes modest. As far as tools, this year Santa brought me the Veritas miniature router plane. I hope it'll be useful for detail hand work.

Let me clarify a little. I'm not trying to say or imply that Christmas is about me. Like others, I take care of my loved ones and friends first and well. Like most, I go to work all day and AFTER I've taken good care of them, I enjoy indulging myself with a small extravagance. I hope that makes a little more sense.
Fred

Lisa Starr
12-26-2019, 4:12 PM
Received a couple of goodies for my shop. Got the plunge base for my Colt Router, a new Milwaukee 12V Drill/Impact Drive set and finally, a PEC 12 x 8 square. The square pretty much completes my needs in that department, as I already have a small PEC, and recently was able to purchase a "used" Woodpecker 16 x 26

Bill Jobe
12-26-2019, 4:37 PM
My youngest daughter comes up with things for her and her husband's 2 young kids to make for me.
That's such a good thing to teach young kids.
And the gifts are very special to me.
A daughter like that is worth more than a whole shop full of new, top-of-the-line machines.
I have 3 great kids and 8 terrific grandkids.
Santa can't top that.

Ron Selzer
12-26-2019, 8:45 PM
around Thanksgiving I got a smoking hot steal of a deal on a Milwaukee panel saw on ebay, less than $400, looks like never used, did have some very light sawdust on it. No scratches, full print on blade, no signs of wear anywhere. So over black friday weekend added every accessory you can buy for it, along with a used in extremely good condition Forrest blade. Had it at work until 12/23 when it came home and neighbor moved it down in the basement for me. Grandkids here until 12/29 so will spend 12/31 putting all accessories on it.
Also got a dust collection kit for the Safety Speed Cut H-5 in the garage, a used Grizzly 2 hp dust collector. Neighbor brought me a gallon of Laqueer and a gallon of Sanding Sealer from out of state.

Curtis Myers
12-27-2019, 11:38 AM
I got a JessEm router table setup a couple weeks ago. Im calling it xmas for myself.

David Eisenhauer
12-27-2019, 12:11 PM
Mark, unless things have changed, the original K-cups were not recyclable, but the Nespresso pods are. Nespresso will send you a pre-labeled, pre-paid shipping bag to use for return of the pods to them for recycling. If you are into recycling, they make it as easy as it can be. The Keurig can also be used with a separate reusable (inexpensive) coffee ground pod that can be filled with whatever brand grounds you desire. Both do offer a fresh cup of coffee every time as opposed to a pot of several-cup coffee that sits on a warmer for a while. Of course, the Nespresso is espresso and may or may not be to your liking. I have gone to a simple pour over type one-cup coffee maker for simplicity and freshness. Enjoy your new found addiction.

Frank Pratt
12-27-2019, 5:37 PM
My youngest daughter comes up with things for her and her husband's 2 young kids to make for me.
That's such a good thing to teach young kids.
And the gifts are very special to me.
A daughter like that is worth more than a whole shop full of new, top-of-the-line machines.
I have 3 great kids and 8 terrific grandkids.
Santa can't top that.

You hit the nail right on the head there buddy. And having grandkids that want to spend shop time with you is icing on the cake. Whenever my 15 yo granddaughter goes in the shop she takes a deep breathe & says "I love the smell in here".

mark mcfarlane
12-27-2019, 5:53 PM
Mark, unless things have changed, the original K-cups were not recyclable, but the Nespresso pods are. Nespresso will send you a pre-labeled, pre-paid shipping bag to use for return of the pods to them for recycling. If you are into recycling, they make it as easy as it can be. The Keurig can also be used with a separate reusable (inexpensive) coffee ground pod that can be filled with whatever brand grounds you desire. Both do offer a fresh cup of coffee every time as opposed to a pot of several-cup coffee that sits on a warmer for a while. Of course, the Nespresso is espresso and may or may not be to your liking. I have gone to a simple pour over type one-cup coffee maker for simplicity and freshness. Enjoy your new found addiction.

Thanks David.

The Keurig K-Cups are also recyclable, you just have to cut off the tops and wash them out. I ordered the free Nespresso recycle bags with my coffee order today.

Nespresso Virtuo machines can make coffee as well as espresso. Interesting tech, the Virtuo class 'pods' have a bar code under the rim that tells the machine the optimum amount of water to put through each particular pod. Pods are made for single and double shot espressos and 7.8 and 14 oz. coffees.

My machine came with a separate Nespresso milk frother.

My first 2 cups of cappuccino today (1.35 oz. espresso + ~ 3 oz. of frothed milk) were fantastic. It exceeded my expectations. The pods, unfortunately, are more expensive than K-Cups.

We'll see how the Keurig K-Cafe espresso machine works when we open more presents tomorrow :). We're still waiting for some family to arrive.

Carroll Courtney
12-27-2019, 6:10 PM
I treated myself to my first new tool cabinet,yes its from HF but its pretty dang good.Now if they would put the top half on sale I would be all over it also.

Darcy Warner
12-27-2019, 6:18 PM
I treated myself to my first new tool cabinet,yes its from HF but its pretty dang good.Now if they would put the top half on sale I would be all over it also.

They are decent if you don't move them. I have tried them all, the cheap boxes fall apart when moved often.

Ron Selzer
12-27-2019, 6:45 PM
had one for 10+ years sits in one spot and never moves. not used every day, works good
That box has had good reviews on other sites from guys who use them everyday
Use it and enjoy it, don't beat on it and it will last out your days

Jacob Mac
12-27-2019, 7:10 PM
I bought myself a LN #8 plane. I wanted one for years and a used one came up on the classifieds so.... Merry Christmas to me.

I'm also most likely getting a minisplit for my shop. Still working out the details, self install or contractor... 18000 btu or 12000... brand, but having heat and AC will be so nice.

Darcy Warner
12-27-2019, 8:16 PM
had one for 10+ years sits in one spot and never moves. not used every day, works good
That box has had good reviews on other sites from guys who use them everyday
Use it and enjoy it, don't beat on it and it will last out your days

Even the one I didn't move around eventually broke the drawer locks and the chrome plastic drawer trim fell off.

Load one up and wheel it around and they fall apart.

One of the few boxes that can take it are the old snap on taco carts. Not many boxes hold up to industrial maintenance anymore.

Sitting in one spot, they are decent.

Roger Feeley
12-28-2019, 10:23 AM
Sailrite ultrafeed sewing machine. It only does zig-zag and straight stitch but it has the power to go through multiple layers of leather or vinyl. Also, it’s a walking foot machine which means that the presser foot helps advance the material.

my plan is to make some Roorkee chairs but mostly it just seemed that everything I wanted to sew was too thick or heavy for my old ‘70s vintage Montgomery Wards machine.

tom lucas
12-28-2019, 6:33 PM
I got a yost 10" bench vise, a wilton 3" drill press vise, a collet chuck set for the lathe, beal bowl buffing kit, pen mandrel, texturing tool, bench dogs, a few books, and a turner's circle template. I feel fortunate.

Carroll Courtney
12-28-2019, 7:08 PM
They are decent if you don't move them. I have tried them all, the cheap boxes fall apart when moved often.
Thanks for the heads up,my plan is to leave it in one spot next to my lathe.It will house mostly tool holders,indicators,etc. My old craftsman thats I say bout 40yrs old will have tools that's not for play.Garage Journal give this box thumbs up and say its better than Husky.Don't know about the Kobalt,but it was in my budget.Wish me luck:)

Brian Holcombe
12-28-2019, 7:39 PM
I bought a used Kennedy recently for a very reasonable price. Basically new in appearance.

Mike OMelia
12-28-2019, 8:48 PM
Dewalt 780 with bench. Bench is a bit big, may look for a smaller solution. Love the shadow cutline!

Philip Glover
12-29-2019, 5:15 PM
My wife always knows exactly what tools to get me for Christmas - it's amazing!

Ken Fitzgerald
12-29-2019, 6:21 PM
Our daughter and SIL were visiting last summer. I told the SIL the story of my driving to Spokane to buy some lumber and some Baltic birch plywood where the Baltic birch 1/2" plywood was $25 a sheet versus $45/sheet. Sadly, I didn't have a saw with me and the 5'x5' sheets wouldn't fit into my Honda Pilot. The supplier had a horribly distorted handsaw. Cutting those sheets down to 4' width in one plane with that handsaw took me nearly 45 minutes. Chewing them might have been faster than using that saw. I told the SIL ( an extremely talented carpenter) I was going to buy a battery operated circular saw someday. That was June 2018.

Friday evening the daughter and SIL (residents of Phoenix, AZ) pulled into our driveway. They are on a Christmas vacation driving from Phoenix, to Oklahoma, to Kansas, to Idaho, to two cities in Washington to see children and us during the Christmas/New Year holiday. Soon after arriving the SIL went to the car and brought in presents. Mine consisted of 2 boxes. The first contained the 18V battery with charger, spare blades and the bigger one contained the Makita 6 1/2" 18V circular saw. He said "That shop deserves to have this saw". I thanked him many times for his thoughtfulness and generosity!

Larry Frank
12-29-2019, 6:50 PM
I got a new Hegner scroll saw to replace my 1988 one which broke.

I also got some small tools and clamps. I mark the year and who I got clamps from on each one so I can remember each time I use it. Many of my tools have been gifts and I remember each one dearly. I have a set of sockets my wife have me in 1970 the year before we were married.

michael dilday
12-29-2019, 6:56 PM
Incra 48" Story Stick, Leigh RTJ400 Dovetail Jig, a new set of blades for my Jointer/Planer, a few router bits, Porta-Mate Panel Carrier, a mobile clamp rack and a couple of Kreg clamps. Oh and 10 Bessey 50" Parallel Clamps.

Rob Charles
12-29-2019, 8:26 PM
Sailrite ultrafeed sewing machine. It only does zig-zag and straight stitch but it has the power to go through multiple layers of leather or vinyl. Also, it’s a walking foot machine which means that the presser foot helps advance the material.

my plan is to make some Roorkee chairs but mostly it just seemed that everything I wanted to sew was too thick or heavy for my old ‘70s vintage Montgomery Wards machine.

Santa was good to you.

Flamone LaChaud
12-30-2019, 2:27 PM
It's a power tool, but exactly a standard one. Husquvarna 371xp w/a 36" bar and ripping chain. Milling is in my immediate future, which will lead to even more woodworking.

Vinito Caleb
12-30-2019, 6:49 PM
Not a woodworking tool directly, but I bought myself this on Thursday. Besides the obvious standard uses, I can now lift and position some logs for milling, and also lift and move around those large old iron machines I already have and the ones I might get in the future. My back already feels better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpzY_2vAn0Q

Frederick Skelly
12-30-2019, 7:54 PM
Ok. Vinito wins the Coolest Christmas Present Award. Hard to top a backhoe for Christmas!

Jim Becker
12-30-2019, 7:58 PM
Ok. Vinito wins the Coolest Christmas Present Award. Hard to top a backhoe for Christmas!
Not only is it a backhoe...it's a trackhoe! Vroom!

Mike Hollis
12-30-2019, 8:10 PM
Santa brought a Festool HL 850 E-F-Plus planer and several other Festool accessories.

Peter Kelly
12-30-2019, 8:36 PM
The wife saw aI'd added an (empty) Systainer 3 to my Amazon list, clicked on it and gave to me on X-Mas day. Turns out Amazon mistakenly shipped her a Systainer 3 with an ETS 150/3 EQ-Plus inside, all for $85.

Huzzah!

Nike Nihiser
12-30-2019, 8:44 PM
A new (2019) Silverado

Dan Friedrichs
12-30-2019, 10:11 PM
The wife saw aI'd added an (empty) Systainer 3 to my Amazon list, clicked on it and gave to me on X-Mas day. Turns out Amazon mistakenly shipped her a Systainer 3 with an ETS 150/3 EQ-Plus inside, all for $85.

Huzzah!

:eek:

Wow. And I thought the trackhoe was the coolest thing on this thread...

Ole Anderson
12-31-2019, 7:41 AM
OK, where is the like button???

Rob Luter
01-01-2020, 9:45 AM
None this year, at least for the shop. For the kitchen Santa brought a couple nice All-Clad pans that have already seen use. We braved the outlet mall the day after Christmas and added a Le Creuset Dutch Oven to the arsenal too. For me, cooking is like woodworking, when I have well designed and well tuned tools I tend to bring my "A" game. The flip side is that my mistakes look well crafted.

Jim Becker
01-01-2020, 9:54 AM
None this year, at least for the shop. For the kitchen Santa brought a couple nice All-Clad pans that have already seen use. We braved the outlet mall the day after Christmas and added a Le Creuset Dutch Oven to the arsenal too. For me, cooking is like woodworking, when I have well designed and well tuned tools I tend to bring my "A" game. The flip side is that my mistakes look well crafted.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I didn't get the carbon steel pan I asked "Santa" for ("Santa" thinks I have too many pots and pans already and she may be correct LOL), but I did get an absolutely wonderful book called "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" that's both instructive and reinforcing for a lot of what I've learned over the past decade of increasingly more serious cooking. You'll really enjoy the enameled cast iron Dutch Oven...great to have. I'm a fan of enameled cast iron, too...I happen to use Staub, but what's most important is how great the stuff is to use. They are my "workhorse" cooking products for sure and even more-so for burner to oven use which is quite frequent in my case.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2020, 10:04 AM
In addition to the 18V circular saw, if books are considered tools, which I do, I got 3 books relating to G&G and Craftsman style furniture and the techniques. I am planning a new dining table for the wife and chairs to go with it. I plan on trying to incorporate the Craftsman/G&G style into that butterfly extension table.

Frederick Skelly
01-01-2020, 12:48 PM
In addition to the 18V circular saw, if books are considered tools, which I do, I got 3 books relating to G&G and Craftsman style furniture and the techniques. I am planning a new dining table for the wife and chairs to go with it. I plan on trying to incorporate the Craftsman/G&G style into that butterfly extension table.

Books count!

dennis thompson
01-01-2020, 4:48 PM
A drill press table which was a great help in drilling 136 holes in 1/4" wheels I made for the 1896 Ford Quadricycle I'm making.

Patrick Walsh
01-01-2020, 4:51 PM
I’ve wanted a excavator front end loader bobcat and forklift forever. Pretty sure I’m gonna get to keep wanting. Pretty awesome purchase.

Mark Flippin
01-01-2020, 5:00 PM
A nice set of Narex chisels (metric) , shop vac, and a selection of hardwoods to make some more cutting boards.

Scott Bernstein
01-02-2020, 1:03 PM
Lamello Zeta P2 and the whole kit of connectors and biscuits.

Vinito Caleb
01-02-2020, 7:09 PM
Wow, thanks for the supportive comments about the excavator. I apologize that I screwed up and admitted that I bought it rather than Santa bringing it. :(

These things do come in handy. I got it for a pretty good price so it's not as unreachable as you might think. Especially if you're not afraid of some mechanickin', you can consistently keep taking a look at the usual sources and sometimes a good deal pops up. I like something a little older (though not ancient) because they are simpler to maintain as well as costing less. Having said that, it would be rare to not spend a few thousand on one, but you never know. I lucked out because this one is 20 years old but only has 1100 or so hours on it! It's an accurate reading too. I'm not sure, but I might end up exceeding that over the next 20 years even as little as I'll probably be using the thing just for my personal uses.

If you do get one, keep it hidden! I've already had 3 neighbors ask me for some free work. I'm to old to fall into saying "yes" to that trap, but I probably do work cheap anyway. I do everything else cheap, so why should that change? :rolleyes:

Tim M Tuttle
01-03-2020, 11:24 AM
New pair of safety glasses, some nice work gloves, good set of t handle allen wrenches and the creme de la creme...12, 24 and 32 inch Woodpeckers t squares. Using some gift cards to get the 6, 8, 12, 18 and 26 squares. Had my eye on that stuff for a while.

And as a treat yo self I am going to be upgrading from my little DeWalt ROS to a Festool ETS EC 150.