PDA

View Full Version : Gap in spiral cutter head on 635

Bernie Kopfer
12-24-2019, 12:47 AM
Decided to tune up my Dewalt 735 planer thinking that turning the inserts would eliminate a slight raised line that I thought was the result of nicked blades. Although I could not see any nicks I presumed that was the reason. So I rotate all the inserts torque them properly and now the line is still in the same place but wider. The line is .005 high and 3/32 wide.Very noticeable! Before it was less than 1/64 wide. These are all original inserts on a 5 year old Shelix cutter head. I have no idea how this can be happening.
Anybody have any idea what is happening ,why, and what to do about it?

Jamie Buxton
12-24-2019, 2:15 PM
Can you measure from the side of the board or something to tell you exactly where to look on the cutter head?

Bernie Kopfer
12-24-2019, 3:42 PM
So I slept on it and the obvious came to mind. Since I can see exactly what two inserts are creating the ridge I replaced them with two new ones and the ridge disappears. I carefully measured the culprit cutters and can detect no difference compared to the new ones. Nice to have the ridge gone but there remains the question of why in the first place?

Jamie Buxton
12-24-2019, 3:48 PM
Perhaps one insert or both were not seated properly. Maybe there was a little fragment of steel underneath?