PDA

View Full Version : magnetic latch

Jim Evatt
12-23-2019, 7:50 PM
Can I use a glue to hold the metal piece of a magnetic latch instead of a screw? The screw holds the door off the thickness of the head of the screw. I know super glue will hold it in place for a while, but it will finally give way. I do not want it to do that, so my question is what kind of glue should I use? Is there an epoxy glue that will work for a long period of time? Thanks!

Mark Daily
12-24-2019, 11:43 AM
Can I use a glue to hold the metal piece of a magnetic latch instead of a screw? The screw holds the door off the thickness of the head of the screw. I know super glue will hold it in place for a while, but it will finally give way. I do not want it to do that, so my question is what kind of glue should I use? Is there an epoxy glue that will work for a long period of time? Thanks!
Just about any 2-part epoxy should work. I’ve used it myself many times. Just be sure the back of the metal is really clean as well as the wood.

Or, you might try a piece of thin double sided carpet tape. It’s surprisingly strong. If it doesn’t work you can switch to epoxy.

andy bessette
12-24-2019, 11:56 AM
The metal part should be countersunk for a flathead screw.

Mark Daily
12-24-2019, 1:12 PM
The metal part should be countersunk for a flathead screw.
I agree- but if you still want to glue, here’s some glue info:

https://chemicalwiki.com/best-glue-for-metal-guide/