PDA

View Full Version : Wood identification help - some type of maple?

Nick Mazzino
12-23-2019, 6:33 PM
Hi all,

Found this amazing figure wood in the middle in my scrap pile. Anyone know the species? Some type of maple? for comparison that is curly maple on the sides.

Thanks!

John Lanciani
12-23-2019, 8:22 PM
The top and bottom pieces just look like flat sawn hard maple to me, if it’s curly it is very low grade. The center piece looks to be old growth flat sawn hard maple heart wood.

Doug Dawson
12-23-2019, 9:24 PM
Hi all,

Found this amazing figure wood in the middle in my scrap pile. Anyone know the species? Some type of maple? for comparison that is curly maple on the sides.

Thanks!

How hard is it? Can you dent it with your fingernail?

Andrew Seemann
12-24-2019, 12:11 AM
It kind of looks like flat sawn birch heartwood. It can be as red as cherry sometimes, and flat sawn it can have a real nice flame figure. It could possibly be maple, but maple heartwood usually doesn't quite have that color. Cherry is a possibility too.

I used a piece of birch plywood with grain and color like that in my cherry kitchen. I was the only one that knew that piece wasn't cherry.

Jim Tobias
12-24-2019, 12:40 AM
Resembles some Olive ash burl veneer I have without a large number of knotholes.

Jim

Brian Tymchak
12-24-2019, 10:13 AM
I've seen some wild grain like that in Oak veneer that was rotary cut. No idea about the species. I concur with a previous post that the flanking pieces are not curly figure.

John K Jordan
12-24-2019, 2:06 PM
Hi all,

Thanks!

Try this, section 7 and beyond:
https://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-identification-guide/