PDA

View Full Version : Seal or No Seal

Chris Christopher
07-08-2003, 3:38 PM
The other day, I removed "base caps" from columns on my porch that were put there a coupl eof years ago by the contractor. These were straight wood that surrounded concrete bases that the composite pillars sit on -- All of the wood was as wet as I have ever seen wood. The only thing that was holding it together was the paint. The base was completely sealed with caulk, so I'm speculating that part of the moisture wicked up through the concrete. I have got the replacement wood prepared to go (both sides primed and painted this time) and I believe that I should not totally seal the bottom of the base to allow the moisture some where to go, similar to weep holes that are in the wondow frames, and allow for some ventilation. Am I on the right track, or am I missing something very obvious??

Steve Clardy
07-08-2003, 7:27 PM
Either mount them 1/8" off the concrete, or do the weep hole thing, and no sealer. Steve

Doug Keener
07-09-2003, 4:26 AM
The other day, I removed "base caps" from columns on my porch that were put there a coupl eof years ago by the contractor. These were straight wood that surrounded concrete bases that the composite pillars sit on -- All of the wood was as wet as I have ever seen wood. The only thing that was holding it together was the paint. The base was completely sealed with caulk, so I'm speculating that part of the moisture wicked up through the concrete. I have got the replacement wood prepared to go (both sides primed and painted this time) and I believe that I should not totally seal the bottom of the base to allow the moisture some where to go, similar to weep holes that are in the wondow frames, and allow for some ventilation. Am I on the right track, or am I missing something very obvious??

Go to your local lumber yard or hardware. They should have a special anchor to put under the post that holds it off the cement. The original contractor should have known this and put them in. :)

Jason Roehl
07-09-2003, 9:45 AM
I'd hold the trim pieces up about 1/8" or so, and make sure you paint ALL sides of the trim. If you absolutely must set them on the concrete, you'll have to go with treated wood.

Steve Clardy
07-09-2003, 9:50 AM
Go to your local lumber yard or hardware. They should have a special anchor to put under the post that holds it off the cement. The original contractor should have known this and put them in. :)

Chris's posts are composite, not wood. His problem is the trim around the base of posts. Steve