PDA

View Full Version : OT-Container use

Dave Crabbs
02-19-2003, 8:58 PM
Hi All,
How could I recycle those laundry containers that ha a little valve on the end that dispenses liquid laundry soap? Would these containers be useful in the shop to store liquids in such as Mineral spirits? I know I would have to relable them so I know what is in them. They hold aprox. 2 gals. Any ideas what I can use them for or should I just put them in the recycle bin for the city to pickup?
Thanks
Dave

Phil Phelps
02-19-2003, 9:11 PM
I'd put my truck oil in them. Used paint thinner.

Joe Suelter
02-19-2003, 9:23 PM
Dave, I had a problem with those things leaking...laundry soap. I'd test it with water for a period of time before I'd trust anything in it. I would think that the bigger water jugs would be a better option, the one's that the grocery store has with drinking water in them. You can pick them up with water for a couple bucks, and they seem to be thicker plastic and with a better valve. Good luck with you experiment!

Ruby in NC
02-20-2003, 6:01 AM
Originally posted by Dave Crabbs
Hi All,
How could I recycle those laundry containers that ha a little valve on the end that dispenses liquid laundry soap? Would these containers be useful in the shop to store liquids in such as Mineral spirits? Dave

Dave, I'd be uneasy about using these for anything other than brief temporary storage of petroleum based solvents. Many plastic containers are made from biodegradable plastics. From what I understand, they are designed to eventually breakdown in landfills. This may not be applicable to liquid laundry soap. However, you may want to check with the manufacturer to see how long you can store their product before the container breaks down. Don't tell them you're planning to put solvents in it. Their legal department will probably tell you not to do it, regardless of what type plastic they used.

FWIW, I know that bleach bottles will breakdown fairly rapidly from UV exposure. So will several similar containers. Tried to recycle these into various gardening accessories. They are OK for short term use, but ...

I may be over reacting with a mental picture of a leaking solvent container and a heat (flame) source in the shop.

This is from someone who'd like to recycle everything!

Regards,
Ruby

Ruby in NC
02-20-2003, 6:12 AM
Originally posted by Joe Suelter
Dave, I had a problem with those things leaking...laundry soap. I'd test it with water for a period of time before I'd trust anything in it. I would think that the bigger water jugs would be a better option, the one's that the grocery store has with drinking water in them.

Joe, I bought two of these to use for drinking water when we have power failures. (well water) Thought they were an ideal solution to stocking up on water before ice storms. Both developed leaks within a couple of months or so. My problem may be brand specific, but thought I'd pass along what happened as a just in case...

BTW, I'm hording every gallon glass jar/jug that I can get my hands on. :cool: They're becoming scarce since vinegar switched to plastic. Glass has just about disappeared from the supermarket. :(

Hope this is somewhat useful.

Regards,
Ruby

Ted Shrader
02-20-2003, 8:28 AM
Originally posted by Ruby in NC
Dave, I'd be uneasy about using these for anything other than brief temporary storage of petroleum based solvents. .....

Dave -

Gotta go with Ruby on this one. Stroring flammables in anything other than metal doesn't seem too safe.

I use mine for used motor/transmission oil. FWIW Clorox<sup>®</sup> bleach bottles work the best. When pouring the oil out at the recycle tank, the vented Clorox<sup>®</sup> bottle does not "glug" and get things (me) all messy.

Ted

Doug Edwards
02-21-2003, 4:06 PM
If you do recycle, make sure that they are very clean and very dry. A very small amount of liquid detergent can foul up certain chemicals. These bottles are designed for detergent that has a very high viscosity. Mineral spirits and other thinners have lower viscosity. The valves may leak. Also, the plastic will absorb the odor of the detergent and your thinner may become "April Fresh".
;)