PDA

View Full Version : My Name Is Jim and I'm a Rustaholic

Jim Koepke
12-23-2019, 4:24 PM
Candy stayed at home on a trip into town a few days ago. On my own, there was no need to ask for permission to stop at one of my favorite establishments to peruse old tools. Found this piece that told me to take it home, even though there are a few 3/4" chisels in my shop:

Other than the generous length and stoutness of this chisel, what really caught my eye was the stamped label:

The stamping on the back wasn't readable before cleaning it up:

After a little cleaning and establishing a new 30º bevel it seems to do quite well:

The lumber yard calls this Vertical Grain Fir as opposed to quarter sawn.

Other than the hoop at the top for use with a hammer this is a very nice chisel for $3.24 including tax.

jtk

Jim Matthews
12-23-2019, 8:45 PM
Hi Jim,
We're all addicts here.

27 days since my last superfluous purcherous.

Ira Matheny
12-23-2019, 8:47 PM
Rustaholic, Glad to meet you.
I, too, have a fondness for rust. In fact, my email name is 'Rustfever'
Ira, Modesto CA

Robert Flowers
12-23-2019, 9:07 PM
In the immortal words of Heaven & Hell/Black Sabbath
I've found addiction and it makes me feel alive (https://genius.com/Heaven-and-hell-bible-black-lyrics#note-8155530)

Robert

ken hatch
12-24-2019, 1:33 AM
Jim,

Nice find. Good firmer chisels that size are hard to come by.

ken

Ben Grefe
12-24-2019, 1:36 AM
Jim, mind telling us where you found that? I make it out to Longview sometimes and wouldn’t mind knowing where to go...

Jim Koepke
12-24-2019, 1:42 AM
Jim, mind telling us where you found that? I make it out to Longview sometimes and wouldn’t mind knowing where to go...

It is a place on the west end of town called Unlimited Treasures, 5708 Ocean Beach Hwy. They are not open every day. Closed Monday through Wednesday. Sometimes they change it around. If they are open, so will be the gate and there are usually signs of some type by the gate. They have a small area of tools unless Mike makes a big deal on something.

jtk

Mel Fulks
12-24-2019, 1:47 AM
That's a nice find. I remember reading something about different speculations as to who made those. That was a few
years back ,have not seen anything lately.