PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Tool ??

Dave Tinley
12-19-2005, 6:27 PM
I have what may be a possible dangerous tool. About eight months ago I purchased a Long Ranger remote controller (220 volt model)from Penn State Industries. Last weekend I was working in the shop and went to close the blast gate on my router table, which should shut down the dust collector via the Long Ranger controller and it would not shut off. I went around and checked all the other blast gates and switches, and even unplugged all the switches, still the dust collector kept running. I unhooked the low voltage wires from the top of the controller and the dust collector still kept running. I shut off the breaker, turned it back on thinking maybe something would reset. As soon as I flipped the circuit breaker on, the dust collector started back up. I am guessing that some contacts are sticking inside the controller.
I contacted Penn State last week but they have not responded back to me.
Since I needed to get work done I have had to turn the dust collector on by flipping on the circuit breaker( what a pain).
I am just wondering if the sticking contacts could cause a problem some where else in the scheme of things???

Thanks
Dave

Steve Stube
12-19-2005, 7:17 PM
I am just wondering if the sticking contacts could cause a problem some where else in the scheme of things???

Do you mean like possibly having to replace the breaker because you are using it as a switch (not the intended function of a breaker), yes.

If you KNOW that it is welded contacts in a mechanical relay then you might proceed to use it (as you are) there would be only the breaker wear and tear to deal with, or not. However if I was not sure what the particular problem is I would find out before going further, i.e., refrain from using the equipment. If you have a solid state relay in the circuit (they do like to fail closed) I don't trust them once they fail because I have heard they can meltdown and become a fire hazard.

It might not be major but I don't recommend operating blind - isolate the problem and remedy it ASAP. my 0.02

Steve Stube
12-19-2005, 7:20 PM
BTW, something caused the contacts to weld, might be simply time in use but if there was an actual overcurrent condition that brought it about - then what else is frying?

Dave Tinley
12-20-2005, 6:50 PM
Steve-
Just my patience. :mad:

Dave

BTW, something caused the contacts to weld, might be simply time in use but if there was an actual overcurrent condition that brought it about - then what else is frying?

Howard Norman
12-20-2005, 11:59 PM
[font=Arial][size=2]

Do you mean like possibly having to replace the breaker because you are using it as a switch (not the intended function of a breaker), yes.

Depends on the breaker. I believe that the Square D QO line is rated to be used as switches. In industrial applications breakers are used all the time to turn lights on and off. They have been doing it for the last 50 years at least.

Howard

Steve Stube
12-21-2005, 1:48 AM
Howard my information comes directly from Square D rep. in to address a class I took on changes in NEC. The question was specifically asked about industrial QO series breakers. As for the practice of using them as switches - I'm very much aware it goes on. People have been smoking for hundreds of years, doesn't make it healthy.

Howard Norman
12-21-2005, 9:21 AM
Interesting Steve. I am surprised. As you stated in your original post I would be relucant to use a cheap breaker as a switch but have no quams about using a QO breaker as a switch. I may do some more research on this subject. Is there anything in the NEC that precludes it?

Do you work for Dow or one of its subsidararies there in Midland?

Howard