PDA

View Full Version : Most and least favorite Christmas candies

Stephen Tashiro
12-21-2019, 8:03 PM
In my childhood, my most favorite Christmas candies were "ribbon candy", peppermint sticks, and Hershey's "semi-sweet" chocolates. However my memories of least favorite candies are just as vivid. There was marshmellow based candy that was banana flavored and roughly shaped like a small banana. There was a soft candy probably intended to imitate a kernel of corn, but it was tapered and reminded me of a tooth. It was usually yellow with an orange tip. I think it was called "candy corn". There was a hard stick candy that was dark brown - I think it was based on molasses. This flavor had a distinctive name, which I can't remember.

John K Jordan
12-21-2019, 8:13 PM
... There was a hard stick candy that was dark brown - I think it was based on molasses. This flavor had a distinctive name, which I can't remember.

Are you thinking of horehound candy, made from the horehound herb? We love it.

JKJ

Stephen Tashiro
12-21-2019, 9:08 PM
Are you thinking of horehound candy, made from the horehound herb? We love it.

JKJ

Yes! - that's the name.

Ted Calver
12-21-2019, 9:20 PM
The missus loves ribbon candy. Very hard to find around here these days.

Jay Aubuchon
12-21-2019, 9:48 PM
The missus loves ribbon candy. Very hard to find around here these days.

Search online for "ribbon candy old fashioned".

Ted Calver
12-21-2019, 10:15 PM
Search online for "ribbon candy old fashioned".

Done that. Not as easy as it seems. Lots of not available, out of stocks. They actually had it at the local big lots...got in one case and it sold out the same day. Interesting.

Peter Kelly
12-21-2019, 11:40 PM
Done that. Not as easy as it seems. Lots of not available, out of stocks. They actually had it at the local big lots...got in one case and it sold out the same day. Interesting.https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/old-fashioned-ribbon-candy-12-oz-box/product/65235

Ted Calver
12-21-2019, 11:47 PM
https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/old-fashioned-ribbon-candy-12-oz-box/product/65235

Thanks, Peter!

Kev Williams
12-22-2019, 12:38 AM
Worst Christmas candy ever: Home made Divinity. My mom and her sisters used to make it EVERY year, to this day I don't know why...

Best Christmas candy: Home made Fudge.

Ribbon candy, 'hard tack' and the like, never really cared for any of that. Just seems to be re-worked sugar. Nor salt water taffy. I'll eat 'em, but only if there's nothing else available :)

I'm a chocolate lover. And my all time favorite candy,
these things:
Costco has 'em. Don't know if they qualify as 'Christmas candy' but they do at our house!
If you love chocolate and haven't tried these yet, get some, you won't be sorry!

Larry Frank
12-22-2019, 7:06 AM
Most favorite..Peppermint Bark

Frederick Skelly
12-22-2019, 7:25 AM
In my childhood, my most favorite Christmas candies were "ribbon candy", peppermint sticks, and Hershey's "semi-sweet" chocolates. However my memories of least favorite candies are just as vivid. There was marshmellow based candy that was banana flavored and roughly shaped like a small banana. There was a soft candy probably intended to imitate a kernel of corn, but it was tapered and reminded me of a tooth. It was usually yellow with an orange tip. I think it was called "candy corn". There was a hard stick candy that was dark brown - I think it was based on molasses. This flavor had a distinctive name, which I can't remember.

Hahaha. It's funny how everybody is different, right? I always HATED ribbon candy and LOVED candy corn (though we only had it for halloween).

My favorite were chocolate turtles that my mom used to mail order from some place in Pennsylvania. (Mom loved mail order.) Small, gold papered box full of the best turtles I ever had - a bazillion calories a piece. Once open, that box didnt last long. Man, it's been years.....

Lisa Starr
12-22-2019, 7:47 AM
Just a piece of solid dark chocolate for my favorite. I dislike almost anything else.

Stan Calow
12-22-2019, 10:24 AM
We're still eating our leftover Halloween candy, and I hate it all.

Ted Calver
12-22-2019, 11:32 AM
Favorite Christmas candy is the home made brittle: pecan, cashew, pistachio, almond, etc. that I make for friends and family...about twenty pounds so far this year. We used to buy the little liquor filled chocolate bottles from Costco and Sam's Club, but stopped this year because of the extra pounds we pack on during the holidays.

John K Jordan
12-22-2019, 12:50 PM
Most favorite..Peppermint Bark

My Lovely Bride likes the peppermint bark. I prefer to go for cookies instead of candy. She makes about 17 different kinds of cookies plus several fruit breads this time of year. She has a fan base who start getting worried if she gets behind. The fruit cake cookies are SO good, some other favorites are sorgum molasses, santa's whiskers, date nut balls, raisin-date bars, biscotti, and a cherry cookie with a hershey's chocolate cherry cordial kiss on top. My job is to sample each kind as while fresh from the oven.

JKJ

Jim Koepke
12-22-2019, 3:28 PM
See's Chocolates are an old favorite. They used to be mostly in California.

They used to have large milk and dark chocolate eggs with various fillings. It was milk or dark chocolate fudge with nuts or marshmallows or both. We would slice them into smaller pieces. That plate would be emptied quickly.

Peanut brittle and Almond Roca were also favorites.

Peeps, none for me thanks.

jtk

Mike Chance in Iowa
12-22-2019, 4:48 PM
Frango. Any flavor of the Northwest variety. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frango

Flamone LaChaud
12-23-2019, 5:22 PM
Favorite of old - anything made by Reeses . . . but these days it messes with my stomach too much. Favorite of today - White Chocolate Pretzels made by Utz, and I get 3-4 boxes of them at Sam's club.

Least favorite . . . anything lacking chocolate, or has almonds in it.

Phil Mueller
12-23-2019, 5:38 PM
Not really Christmas candy, but my Dad always brought home See’s candy at Christmas time. When it comes to purchased candy, it’s the only thing worth the calories for me. Nuts and Chews are my favorite.

As far as cookies, my Mom still makes and ships me persimmon cookies every Christmas...fresh persimmons picked from the tree, nutmeg, cinnamon, walnuts, raisins, and yes, flour, lard, and sugar.

John K Jordan
12-23-2019, 6:21 PM
As far as cookies, my Mom still makes and ships me persimmon cookies every Christmas...fresh persimmons picked from the tree, nutmeg, cinnamon, walnuts, raisins, and yes, flour, lard, and sugar.

Now I want to try those! Can you send my address to your mom too? :) We have a lot of persimmon trees on our property, must be at least 50.

Phil Mueller
12-23-2019, 11:39 PM
John, lucky you. I’ll pm you the recipe.

Malcolm Schweizer
12-24-2019, 2:58 AM
Home made: Peopermint Bark. Store bought: King Leo peppermints. My grandmother always had some on hand. They are soft, unlike other peppermints.