PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever bought a piece of equipment and then wondered why?

Alex Zeller
12-19-2019, 1:14 PM
I came across a great deal on a 3hp 3/4" shaper. It's an older one made in Canada with an American made single phase US motor on it. It's in very good shape and I probably have $100 into it. I was so quick to say yes that I didn't think about if I really needed it or if I'm just hording more tools. I don't have any 3/4" cutters and I'm not sure if a 1 1/4" will be too much for it. But it just looked so neat I had to have it. It's all cast iron except for the belt guard. At what point do you draw the line?

Casey Carr
12-19-2019, 1:56 PM
When you have no more room! Only thing holding me back from buying a planer and dust collector is space. That's all I am I have found: a tool collector. Don't have the time to use them, maybe one day I'll be able to. But I want them available for when I do find the time.

David Utterback
12-19-2019, 3:09 PM
Why do I have a flexible ruler? You know the ones that can be bent into almost any shape and then not hold it. I have never been able to get the ruler in the shape of a fair curve, which should be almost the simplest form. Only cost me $15 but I have found it useless.

Sorry, but I have been wanting to get that off my chest for some time.

Tom M King
12-19-2019, 6:10 PM
I've wondered why I didn't buy some, when I had the chance.

Alex Zeller
12-19-2019, 6:17 PM
At least it's not just me. Now I need to find a project so I can justify buying some cutters for it to try out.

Jared Sankovich
12-19-2019, 6:32 PM
I've wondered why I didn't buy some, when I had the chance.

This..

Dont think I've ever wondered why (or why i have mutiples)

David Eisenhauer
12-19-2019, 6:48 PM
Alex. I used a 3hp Weaver shaper with a 3/4" spindle for years for raised panel cabinet door fabrication and I believe that the (steel) cutters were 1-1/4" with 3/4" bushings in them. I don't have it any more or I would go down to the shop and confirm that.

Rob Charles
12-19-2019, 9:17 PM
Unfortunately, yes. But, soon some from of rationalization comes to mind to justify the purchase.

tom lucas
12-19-2019, 10:50 PM
If you have space, don't sweat it. I suspect you can always get your money out of it. I see shapers all the time for good deals. So far, I've resisted. I'm like you: "Man that's a really nice machine for a great price!", but then I come back to reality: "I have no need for that what so ever".

Rich Engelhardt
12-20-2019, 3:43 AM
LOL!
It's all a part of the game of life isn't it?
Buying stuff and not having a clue as to why - other than @ the time it seemed like a good idea.

Speaking of which.....

Do you have any idea - how heavy a Smith and Wesson M69 .44 magnum is when you stick it in a shoulder holster and wear it all day long?
(my latest $1000 thing I really didn't need :D :D )
Dirty Harry had neck muscles made of carbon fiber.....
Oh well....at least I'm all set for any rampaging hippo I run across in Lowes while I'm shopping for tools I don't need - that replace the ones I misplaced and can't seem to find at the moment :D :D

Derek Cohen
12-20-2019, 4:07 AM
I once purchased a horizontal metal bandsaw from a clubmate. It was selling for much less than a new one, came with a good number of Starrett blades ... and I had aspirations of making infill hand planes. Of course, I preferred building furniture, and it sat there unused, taking up valuable workshop space. I sold it after 18 months.

Posted on a train to Vienna

Derek

Mike Kees
12-20-2019, 9:46 AM
You guys need to think differently. I buy pretty well any machines I find that are great deals. Then end up selling them later for a profit when I find the one I really want. My shop is now complete and I have a couple machines to sell yet....:D

Terry Wawro
12-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Well, I bought a drum sander and a lathe for my small, yet already full shop, during Black Friday. Now I'm rearranging once again, trying to shoe-horn the new toys in.

Tom Bain
12-20-2019, 7:02 PM
We’ve all been there. I bought a really nice Excalibur special edition scroll saw in almost new condition a few years back for an absolute steal. I still haven’t used it in a project, but someday ...

Paul F Mills
12-20-2019, 7:07 PM
I bought my tablesaw without good reason for the amount of woodworking I did at the time. Same with the plunge saw. And router. And planer. And sanders. And domino. And bandsaw. And a bunch of overpriced Woodpecker stuff. And jointer. Over about 18 months. I always question the purpose and my need, and then do it anyways. I have never been disappointed.

Rob Charles
12-20-2019, 8:05 PM
LOL!
It's all a part of the game of life isn't it?
Buying stuff and not having a clue as to why - other than @ the time it seemed like a good idea.

Speaking of which.....

Do you have any idea - how heavy a Smith and Wesson M69 .44 magnum is when you stick it in a shoulder holster and wear it all day long?
(my latest $1000 thing I really didn't need :D :D )
Dirty Harry had neck muscles made of carbon fiber.....
Oh well....at least I'm all set for any rampaging hippo I run across in Lowes while I'm shopping for tools I don't need - that replace the ones I misplaced and can't seem to find at the moment :D :D

Thanks for the laugh.

Rob Charles
12-20-2019, 8:08 PM
You guys need to think differently. I buy pretty well any machines I find that are great deals. Then end up selling them later for a profit when I find the one I really want. My shop is now complete and I have a couple machines to sell yet....:D

Yes, life is good when one reaches that level. Unfortunately, I have a few more buy/sells before I get there. The good news is that I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is not an oncoming train.

Alex Zeller
12-20-2019, 11:38 PM

Sell a tool? I don't understand this concept.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-21-2019, 4:00 AM
I don't have a problem with buying machine tools anymore - I have everything I 'need' and don't have spare space to hoard large machines. I do however, have a serious problem with buying hand tools - they don't take up much space, typically cost less than $500- or so per item so it doesn't feel like a massive expense/decision each time - making it more palatable, and the wife doesn't see a huge machine getting delivered. Makes it easy to keep justifying 'just one more' tool...

I'm glad I don't have a huge shed / property lol. Good luck to those who do haha.

Cheers, Dom

Mike Kees
12-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Alex, while I do have a bunch of machines that I really like, in my world anything is for sale if someone offers me the right price. I do however still miss some of the machines that have left. I am also sick and tired of re-doing my dust collection to hook up another machine,even when it is a planer being replaced with another planer it seems there is always an adjustment and two more fittings to order. I have everything I need and plan to buy nothing but wood and work in the shop it has taken 25 years to build from here on out.

Ray Newman
12-21-2019, 2:52 PM
Are hand-held power tools applicable to this thread?

If so, about 10 years ago I needed a close-quarters/angled drill. Bought a Sioux 3/8" and found it cumbersome. Did not feel right in my hand after using for awhile and the design put a strain on my wrist. On the next SCOD (Shop Clean Out Day), it will go to Goodwill. The other is the small Fe$tool Domino. Utilized it for a few things, but it really did not turn out to be the wonder tool that I thought. Still have not made a final decision about it. Or, maybe I need to use it more, I 'dunno know'....

David Utterback
12-21-2019, 4:07 PM
Since I have unusual capacity to repress thoughts that you ask about, I had not remembered the 12" Dewalt sliding compound miter saw in my basement. I bought it to replace my radial arm saw. I gave that saw away but I never set up the miter saw. I turned it on when I bought how ever many years ago and it has not run since. It has never been used to cut anything!

I want to sell it but, when thinking about listing it, I remember several other items I would advertise at the same time. That means pictures and staging- it is just too complicated! Plus I occasionally think of another repressed memory of my wife asking me to install crown molding in a couple of rooms 27 years ago when we moved into our current home. I may regret not having it one day....

Patrick Walsh
12-21-2019, 4:24 PM
Yup...

Not sure what I was thinking.

I’m all seriousness I have purchased many tools i tools I thought I needed only to simplify my kit as my skills progressed. It’s always nice to have stuff around to sell to fund the next thing you think you need lol..

Mike Cutler
12-21-2019, 6:10 PM
I came across a great deal on a 3hp 3/4" shaper. It's an older one made in Canada with an American made single phase US motor on it. It's in very good shape and I probably have $100 into it. I was so quick to say yes that I didn't think about if I really needed it or if I'm just hording more tools. I don't have any 3/4" cutters and I'm not sure if a 1 1/4" will be too much for it. But it just looked so neat I had to have it. It's all cast iron except for the belt guard. At what point do you draw the line?

I think everybody does at one time or another.
I bought a MicroJig from Bill Hylton many years ago. I've used it twice. The last time probably 15+ years ago. Beautifully made piece of equipment, but I always seem to find another way. I also bought a complete Excaliber TS55 fence system used. I've never used it. Never even mounted it, and I don't even have the room to use it. I just can't bring myself to cut it down to meet my needs. :eek:
Your shaper will handle 1-1/4" cutters with a T-bushing adapter, just be reasonable about the cutters and their weight. Anything greater than 4" diameter, and made of steel, with the exception of single groovers, will be about the max you should go. Don't bother with 3/4" bore cutters, the used market for them is pretty limited. 1-1/4", and 30mm, is pretty standard.
Did I mention that shapers work best in pairs? :D

johnny means
12-21-2019, 6:37 PM
Yup...

Not sure what I was thinking.

I’m all seriousness I have purchased many tools i tools I thought I needed only to simplify my kit as my skills progressed. It’s always nice to have stuff around to sell to fund the next thing you think you need lol..

That is one sweet old Martin.

Jon Endres
12-23-2019, 10:30 AM
I have multiples of several tools - table saw, radial arm saw, bandsaw. I have a vintage Craftsman scroll saw with no motor, that I bought at a flea market for $25 years ago, I think I had buyer's remorse on that one before it was even in my truck. I have a rusty old Delta bandsaw which was junk when I bought it and won't ever be restored. Two radial arm saws and I don't use either one, but I don't want to get rid of either one. One of the two tablesaws is an heirloom, but it's not being used either. At one point I had three. The one tool I did sell, and regretted doing so, was my shaper - a 1 hp Walker-Turner with piles of carbide cutters, in mint condition. But I don't need a shaper.

Robert B. Martin
12-24-2019, 4:23 AM
Yes! Every time I convince myself saying it was an investment! LOL!

Randy Heinemann
12-24-2019, 9:17 AM
As I have aged, I draw the line when I have all the tools I need to do essentially anything I want in wood. I reached that point and, although I would love a drum sander, for example, I can still take my work to one of 2 hardwood lumber places in my area and, for a reasoable price for the small number of times I would use the sander. I would love a new lathe because my current lathe is underpowered and I have already replaced the controller after only 2 years use. Hard to justify when it performs well for 90% of what I use it for (assuming it doesn't die again).

Mike Ontko
12-24-2019, 10:25 AM
How does that line by Robert Burns go, "...the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry"? I bought an older model Leigh dovetail jig when I first started putting my shop together, six or seven years ago, and though I've refurbed it with D4 parts I still haven't used the thing. What's worse is that as I've worked through various projects and built up my abilities to a semi passable state, I think I'd rather just cut them by hand anyway. So, now I've got this jig that I've probably sunk around $300 or $400 into and still no plans to use it except possibly for a couple of dresser and sideboard projects.