PDA

View Full Version : Timber Framing Sources

Patrick Kane
12-19-2019, 11:50 AM
Recently became very interested in timber framing, and currently trying to determine if this is something i could potentially handle myself in the future, or if it's just something cool that is better left to specialized pro shops. Does anyone have a good source of online information they can share? Naturally, i placed a hold on all the top rated books through the local library for some reading over the holiday break. Still, i thought for sure there would be an online forum for this subject. Genuinely curious if anyone built their own home or shop, and how it went. From what i see, the joinery is essentially a scaled version of the basics. I would love to build a dedicate shop in the next 2ish years, and the interiors of a proper timber framed structure are nothing short of spectacular. I also like the idea of being able to work on it here and there, and then have crew come out and raise and enclose it in a few days. It just appears more approachable from the standpoint of having a full time job, and only working on things on the weekends or some vacation here or there.

Brian Tymchak
12-19-2019, 12:14 PM
Does anyone have a good source of online information they can share? ...i thought for sure there would be an online forum for this subject.

Patrick, I'm certainly no timber framer, and I'm sure there will be better answers coming, but I am currently using some timber frame techniques to build what I call a "timber frame inspired" lumber rack. I've googled up a couple of sites that to help me research joinery, particularly scarf joints.

https://timberframehq.com/

https://timberhomesllc.com/

and there were miscellaneous images that I pulled up that were helpful.

David Bassett
12-19-2019, 12:29 PM
Not my field, but Joshua Klein and Michael Updegraff of Mortise & Tenon magazine, have blog'd about a project they recently coordinated that may be interesting. Blog:

https://www.mortiseandtenonmag.com/blogs/blog/silence-at-the-job-site

which was a major timber framing project. They have talked documented some of it on Instagram since last summer and they are working on a book (& movie) about the project:

https://mailchi.mp/mortiseandtenonmag/new-book-and-film-coming-soon

It might be interesting. (Though how-to details, if any are coming, are still a ways off.)

Alex Zeller
12-19-2019, 1:02 PM
There are plenty of schools that hold classes, usually a week long. If you can do cabinetry you can do a timber frame. There's a few tricks and you need to understand the physics involved. But over all it's pretty basic.

I was going to do my house but in the end realized the the difficulties would make it hard. Timber frames are done with wet wood which makes time a factor. They are also heavy. The wood dries in place so it checks vs warping. To frame one you need enough people to get it done in a short period of time and most likely a crane to put the bents in place (or a lot of people). For me that was the limiting factor. For the 7 man crew that did my house they prepared the wood at their shop (less than a week) and stood it up in 2 1/2 days.

To this day I would love to do one myself (or help a friend do one). I have come close to buying the 16 1/4" circular saw, the wide hand planer, and the chain mortiser that speed up the process. My timber framer actually used a lunch box planer and let the beam stay still while the planer would move itself. One guy would control the cord while a couple others would move the saw horses out of the way as needed.

Kevin Jenness
12-19-2019, 1:04 PM
https://www.tfguild.org/

https://www.facebook.com/VTheavytimber/

The Timber Framers Guild is very active and has a quarterly publication. My son (second link) is a member and one thing I really admire (and envy) about the regional group is that they actually build things when they get together. I'm not sure if it was an official TFG project, but he spent a week last summer with several dozen American and French timber framers building a blacksmith shop frame on the Maine Coast- all with hand tools starting with logs.

You certainly can do timber framing yourself, but it takes some specialized tools (large) and the ability to move heavy timbers around. My son built his home from logs cut on our woodlot, but that involved logging, skidding and milling as well as joinery. Plan on double the time for a stick- built shop if you are doing it the first time.

David Bassett
12-19-2019, 1:22 PM
... he spent a week with several dozen American and French timber framers building a blacksmith shop frame on the Maine Coast- all with hand tools. ...

That's got to be the M&T guys' project. The credited organization was Charpentiers sans Frontiers (Carpenters Without Borders). It's interesting there are multiple cooperating organizations and amazing what they accomplished.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
12-19-2019, 3:40 PM
Hi Patrick,

I am a complete amateur when it comes to timber framing but I recently decided I would design and build a small single car garage size three bent timber frame to fill in a small space between my exisiting garage and fenceline.

I underestimated the time it would take as I too was building it between full time work, a lot of bike racing/training and other commitments.

Nothing was particularly difficult there is just a lot to think about and do especially when it's your first time.

My design was very strange as I had a number of constraints, including tapering one side to follow the fence-line (so angled tenons, etc), having a non-symetrical roof so that I could fit solar panels on one side, and I also wanted it to be quite tall so that I had plenty of space to store timber under the rafters.

I bought two books - building the timber frame house, by Benson, and A Timber Framers Workshop by Chappell. This provided all the info I needed to design and build my frankenstein frame.

I didn't have a chain mortiser, but used a 1.5" auger, framing chisel and router instead for my mortises. For the tenons I used a circ saw, Ryoba saw, handsaw, 1.5" framing chisel and LN carriage makers rebate plane. The other tools that I found indispensible were a 7 1/4" Makita electric hand plane, a japanese ink line and two framing squares plus smaller squares.

I used Monterrey Cypress a local place milled up from logs - the timber was wet and did move a bit. Nothing was perfectly straight or square so using the ink line to create reference lines and getting a reference 90degree corner milled using the planer was critical.

Mine was very small. My timbers were generally 7x7 and 10x7" and maybe 11' long - but moving them on my own was difficult and space to work is another big factor - I was very space constrained.

Here are a couple of random pics i have with me atm - i'm still working on it but nearly there.

Cheers, Dom

Patrick Kane
12-19-2019, 4:28 PM
Yeah, my searches turned up quite a few schools. I doubt i could ever find a point in my life prior to 65 where i could travel for a class for two weeks. Not to mention, a lot of the ones i saw were $3500+/-. Im sure the instruction is superb, but you add up the class, a mortiser, a large hand planer, a large circular saw, and pretty soon you are at $10k before you even started the build.

I will need to dig into the MT build more. Looks cool. Still, i believe those gentlemen and myself have fundamental differences in how we would approach this project. Im all about speed and power--two things not associated with handhewn beams.

Alex, that makes all the sense in the world, but is legit 180° to some of the stuff i read. They listed the ability to take your time and cut the joints as you go as an advantage to timber framing. What you describe makes a lot of sense, however. I was thinking i would have a couple months to cut the joinery. Im guessing thick timber cant dry too quickly if the wood is properly stored and treated. I assumed you cut the joinery, break it down, prefinish it/wax the end grain, sticker it, and then you are good for awhile. Depending on the truss design, maybe i could bang out the joinery in a week's vacation. Something to keep in mind, i suppose.

Patrick Kane
12-19-2019, 4:33 PM
Dom, your post came through as i was typing mine, but that looks superb. Those are the two books i requested through the library, so i look forward to browsing them.

Bryan Lisowski
12-19-2019, 5:01 PM
Patrick, look up The Shelter Institute. I am sure they have a lot of resources, they are a timber framing school in Maine.

peter gagliardi
12-19-2019, 5:09 PM
Timber framers guild will have a list of publications. Start there, and probably ANY book by Jack Sobon will get you the basics of traditional timber framing.
Jack is an architect, specializing in the craft.
While Benson gets a lot of the credit for the popular resurgence of the craft, his take on it is definitely less than traditional.
Books will get you all of it, except for the actual work.
We have done several frames.
It is immensely enjoyable, through the entire process.

Tom M King
12-19-2019, 5:13 PM
https://chappellsquare.com/store-2/#!/Advanced-Timber-Framing/p/100977567/category=0

Tom M King
12-19-2019, 5:18 PM
There is a good forum on Timber Framing on the Forestryforum. Years of entries, and pictures, of all sorts.

brent stanley
12-19-2019, 5:28 PM
Hi Patrick, timber framing is one of the things I do for a living so feel free to ask any questions you might have. My approach is to employ some techniques that are older than what is considered "traditional" in North America. The craft suffered a bit from commercialization in the development of "square rule" techniques that mean it's less flexible than other, older techniques. I am working through some examples on my channel.

brent stanley
12-20-2019, 12:26 PM
If I were to suggest only one book, this would be it: https://www.leevalley.com/en-gb/shop/tools/books-and-dvds/72102-masters-guide-to-timber-framing

B

William Batdorf
12-20-2019, 3:48 PM
I have had good experiences at the Fox Maple School working with Steve Chappell. Did it twice, both basic and advanced timber framing. I've completed 6 small-to-medium size frames since then as a hobbyist. After you build up a rather basic set of TF tools, you can accomplish just about anything your experience level will let you tackle. Square Rule framing is IMHO, the easiest to learn, but there are numerous others that the studious person might explore. Good tools are important. I like my Barr timber framing chisels. Beyond that, good measuring tools, hand saws, etc. will get you going. Later you will want to evolve into a chain mortiser and larger circular saw (think 16-inch hand held circular saw....not for the faint of heart). Avoid "gimmick" tools. A 1-1/2" framing chisel, a 2-inch framing chisel, and a nice 3 or 3-1/2 inch slick will serve you well. All can be found as new or vintage tools. A well developed skill set for sharpening your tools will be important. Use what works best for you. Compound joinery of timbers can be challenging without a solid background in trig and geometry, but it is like anything else...it can be learned
Timber framing is a very rewarding pursuit, whether hobbyist or professional. I would encourage you to pursue it to your hearts' content.