PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the router dust collection from Onedia?

George Bokros
12-19-2019, 10:18 AM
I have been considering one of these for awhile. Wondering how having the hose impacts routing.

https://www.oneida-air.com/universal-dust-free-router-hood-accessory-kit

Comments opinions?

Thanks

ChrisA Edwards
12-19-2019, 10:42 AM
I have one of those (I think), but ended up buying a plunge base for my PC890 which has a dust port built in, so I didn't use the Oneida version.

I can say that the dust collection is very good. I use a CT26 vacuum and support the hose with a Dog grooming arm clamped to my work bench. The arm supports the hose as well as the router power cord.

Rarely do I have to do any extra chip/sawdust clean up after the routing operation.

I imagine, with the Oneida accessory, the results would be very similar.

P.S. your link has two http's on it so doesn't work properly

George Bokros
12-19-2019, 10:59 AM
Thanks Chris I fixed it. Originally posted from my tablet and I have not done that before.

Ron Selzer
12-19-2019, 11:53 AM
have it on a PC 690 hooked up to an Oneida dust deputy to a Rigid vacuum.
Very happy with it, definitely keeps the shop cleaner

Paul F Franklin
12-19-2019, 1:55 PM
I bought it a while ago hoping to use it with my big triton router. The triton has built in dust collection that works well for surface routing, but it doesn't have the little cup for improved collection when edge routing. Unfortunately, the Oneida unit doesn't really work with the triton. You can install it after removing the built-in dust shrouds on the triton and enlarging one of the mounting holes, but it then limits the plunge range of the triton to the point where you can't make use of the automatic collet lock for changing bits. I will say the Oneida unit is nicely made and seems sturdy.

Regarding the hose impeding routing, my experience using the triton's built in collection with the hose is that it's no issue when routing a small piece or area, but when routing something like the edge of long table top or shelf (or my 12' foot mantel top) is that you have to plan ahead so the hose has room to follow the router without hanging up on anything. Some kind of overhead track system or the dog grooming arm mentioned above would simplify this. I usually temporarily tape the power cord to the dust hose so there is only one tail to worry about. I see Rockler now sells some clips designed to hold the power cord to the dust hose, but tape works for me. I don't do it that often. Even though the hose adds a bit of hassle, I'd much rather have a router with dust collection than not. It reduces the mess a lot (not entirely) and also helps keep the chips clear of the bit.